R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Advice on engine bearings please....

I am clearly making this a lot harder than it needs to be…. I have a Picco red dot in my race Revo. The motor has about 5 gallons on it, and I just replaced the sleeve/piston. I just bought a new Picco for next season with the idea of running last year motor as a spare. Problem is I am going to Motorama in late Feb, and with the weather here in the NE I won’t be able to properly break in the new motor. So I plan to run last years motor, but I need to do a front bearing on it. Here are my options

Put a cheap bearing on the old motor.

Put all ceramics in the old motor (kinda sticks in my craw to have new ceramics in my back up and stock in my main motor)

Put ceramics in the new motor and put the stock bearings from the new motor in the old motor. Just concerned about damaging the stock bearings while removing them. This is the option I am leaning towards……..
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Tech Adept

If you put a new piston/sleave in the old motor want you have to break it in just as you will hte new one? Also a good set of bearings is only like 45$ I would put good bearings in the old one, then put good ones in the new one at a bout 3 gal. Just my thoughts
Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambydsgb View Post
If you put a new piston/sleave in the old motor want you have to break it in just as you will hte new one? Also a good set of bearings is only like 45$ I would put good bearings in the old one, then put good ones in the new one at a bout 3 gal. Just my thoughts

Actually I broke in the old motor end of last season. The P/S have about 1/3 gallon on them.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Oh. well If you like your old motor you will put nice new bearings in it and it will always be ready when you call on it for help
Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

How is/was the "old" engine running? Did the break in go well? Did it leave you thinking you would need new bearings in it? This is a tough call. I think I would probably remove the stockers from the new mill for the old mill if you're set on getting ceramics, then place the ceramics in the new mill. As for MotoRama, Fri is practice all day. If you can spend the day there,you could leave the old mill as is, and spend Fri breaking in the new mill. Lots of options...
As for removing the bearings, Ofna, among others, makes a nice bearing tool. Might be worth looking into. If not, break the engine down completely, heat it up either in an oven or if you have a gun. Once heated, use a wooden dowel or something of like nature to tap gently on the case while holding in upside down. The rear should fall out on it's own. The front may need a little coaxing, but it should be fairly easy. To insert them, place them in the freezer for 10/15 minutes, after this time, start to heat the engine again, place the front onto the crank then gently slide this assembly into the engine, only backwards...from the front with the front of the crank facing into the rear. Now do the same with the rear, only correctly, from the rear of the engine facing out to the front. Not to be left out, lol...also wear heavy duty gloves as to not burn yourself.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Tech Adept

thanks man great post The break in went well, but the front bearing is leaking. Getting oil everywhere and not running real great. I'll have the new motor with me if needed but I'd like to run the old one if I could