R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default recomendations and questions

hey guys, im new to nitro racing. and ive got some questions. whats the difference between nitro and gas? for a beginner, what kind of rtr or kit of a buggy is best for me?i was thikning of buying a baja 5b.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redza View Post
hey guys, im new to nitro racing. and ive got some questions. whats the difference between nitro and gas? for a beginner, what kind of rtr or kit of a buggy is best for me?i was thikning of buying a baja 5b.
Do you intend on racing at all? If you want to race and you are on a budget I would recommend getting a Losi 8ight pro kit or a Hot bodies D8 kit, both of these can be had for a little over 300 dollars. If you do not have the accessories that come along with a car such as a radio and servos, you could always get a losi 8ight rtr and upgrade it to the pro kit. The rtr comes with a decent radio, but horrible servos. I would recommend a kit over a rtr any day but it really depends on your budget.
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Tech Regular

i dont intend to race. i mean, i intend to go fast. my neighbourhood has a straight down hill road. like at least 1/2 a km. my budget it under 300 usd for a nitro buggy. but i will check out the losi 8eight.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Tech Regular

You can get a losi 8ight pro kit for 299 at amainhobbies http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6558 . The D8 can be had for 349 at amain. Both are great cars that go fast, and they both are extremely durable. Speed is really dependent on the motor also. If you have enough for a baja5b though I would get that because the fun factor for bashing around would be through the roof. However, if you think you may ever want to go to the local track and run you will want a 1/8th scale. My best suggestion to you is go down to your local track and look at the cars, see which one you like and then go from there.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Nitro refers to Nitromethane fuel.
Gas is well... gas, generally mixed with oil, like a weedeater/2 stroke engine

As for what you should get, well thats totally up to you. like the previous poster added.. there are kits(you assemble), pre-assembled(no engine/eletronics), and RTR(ready to run-only feild equip needed) versions of almost every brand and style you could imagine.
It depends on what you want to do, how much space you have and the type of surface your going to run on.
the large scale (1/5) like the 5B takes alot of space run in.
the 1/8 off road buggies /truggy vehicles are "generally" geared more for racing.
Monster trucks- though are raced more and more, are generally the back yard basher vehicles.
1/10 scale trucks - 2wd mainly, are cheaper, yet take more control to drive in most cases. yet still offer tons of fun.

As for a brand.. thats up to you. the smart thing to do is figure out how your going to buy parts. Local or on-line. if your sticking to your local shop, go with a GOOD brand that they stock parts for or are willing to order when YOU need them. If your going on-line for parts then just pick up what YOU think you would like. Check the major outlets for parts stock, Amain, Tower, Horizon, and countless others to name a few.
There are alot of people that will say one brand over the other due to their personal preference.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKarnage View Post
Nitro refers to Nitromethane fuel.
Gas is well... gas, generally mixed with oil, like a weedeater/2 stroke engine

As for what you should get, well thats totally up to you. like the previous poster added.. there are kits(you assemble), pre-assembled(no engine/eletronics), and RTR(ready to run-only feild equip needed) versions of almost every brand and style you could imagine.
It depends on what you want to do, how much space you have and the type of surface your going to run on.
the large scale (1/5) like the 5B takes alot of space run in.
the 1/8 off road buggies /truggy vehicles are "generally" geared more for racing.
Monster trucks- though are raced more and more, are generally the back yard basher vehicles.
1/10 scale trucks - 2wd mainly, are cheaper, yet take more control to drive in most cases. yet still offer tons of fun.

As for a brand.. thats up to you. the smart thing to do is figure out how your going to buy parts. Local or on-line. if your sticking to your local shop, go with a GOOD brand that they stock parts for or are willing to order when YOU need them. If your going on-line for parts then just pick up what YOU think you would like. Check the major outlets for parts stock, Amain, Tower, Horizon, and countless others to name a few.
There are alot of people that will say one brand over the other due to their personal preference.
+1
Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Tech Regular

between a losi 8eight and a baja 5b ss and a baja 5b rtr, which would you pick? and does a gas rc car use petrol? whats the difference between a gas powered rc car an a nitro powered rc car?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I personally would pick the losi 8ight because in my area that is what is typically run, so there is a lot of support. There is really not a big space around my house to run a baja 5b. I could run one of those up and down my street but that is no fun compared to jumping and racing the losi. As for the fuel I will let someone else more experienced explain that.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
Tech Regular

okay. i will check out both of the cars. thanks for your help.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Tech Regular

No problem. I am sure others will chime in with there opinions also.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
between a losi 8eight and a baja 5b ss and a baja 5b rtr, which would you pick? and does a gas rc car use petrol? whats the difference between a gas powered rc car an a nitro powered rc car?
Well, first there is a HUGE difference in price points between the Losi 8 and either of the Baja 5's.
Take into your calculations not only initial vehicle purchase but also the cost to run, repair, upgrade (if you wish) and tools/track equipment.

The smaller the scale, **Generally** the cheaper the parts.
The larger the scale, **Generally** the more durable, yet expensive, the parts.

as for gas car using petrol, the answer is yes. Petrol plus a two cycle engine oil, you mix them together and put in the fuel tank (good thing is gas prices have went down!) and even when they were 4-5 bucks a gallon its still alot cheaper than Nitro fuel which here runs from 25-35 a gallon depending on Nitro% and brand.

Me Personally, I wouldn't get a 5B unless I had a large (LARGE) open area to run with some small jumps and stuff... Parts for the 5B will be expensive compared to the smaller scale. NOT recommended for the basher on a budget.

As for SLosi (had to) sure it's good, there are tons out there. But look into Associated, Xray, Mugen, Ofna and the rest too...

You may even consider the GP types too since your running on your street..
1/5 on-road like the Ofna are cool too.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Tech Regular

how much does a baja 5b cost anyways?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
A lot
Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
heh, I figured you would have looked into this a bit already...

Per Amainhobbies.com :

HPI Baja 5B SS $859 / RTR $879
HPI Baja 5T (truck) $1,229

sLOSI8Eight Comp $299
Losi RTR $469

Associated RC8 RTR $479
Associated FT $

Now ofcourse these are US dollars and shipping not included. (but generally get discounts per $ spent- which would make up for shipping here)

You need to find distibutors in your locale
Old 12-23-2008, 04:10 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Sounds like you need to do a LOT of research on the internet before you make a decision. Plus, all the Losi 8ights and Hot Bodies D8's that people are talking about come without a radio, servos, or engine/pipe unless you get an RTR, so the $300 is just for the car itself. You can figure to spend at least that much again for an engine and electronics.