R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

whoa. right, i'll think about it. thats alot of money right there.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

At your budget you should not be looking at race vehicles, at least not in 1/8 nitro. If you just want to have some fun look for the RTR setups.

Traxxas nitro stampede

Losi Speed-T brushless electric

Stampede VXL brushless electric

Or something similar. For the electrics you'll need a battery and charger so figure another $150 or so. Nitro has the advantage of being able to run non-stop, just refuel and go. But you have to buy nitro and glowplugs and tuning the engines can sometimes be a hassle. A nice thing about the monster trucks is you can run them in more places. Most buggies and stadium trucks are going to be slow in grass and may not have the ground clearance for a dirt lot unless it's fairly clean.

If you have a local hobby shop you should start there. Find out what products they carry a LOT of parts for and go with that. You'll probably be breaking things often and it's no fun waiting a week or two for a $3 part to ship to you.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #18
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You went from a Losi 8 and a Baja 5B to this piece of crap. http://www.amax-toys.com/tem/pdisp_e_1136.html Man you need to do some looking around and some more pricing if you don't have the money to buy a good name brand R/C car don't by one save your money and get a good one not some piece of crap that will brake the first time you take it out to have fun with it.
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
You went from a Losi 8 and a Baja 5B to this piece of crap. http://www.amax-toys.com/tem/pdisp_e_1136.html Man you need to do some looking around and some more pricing if you don't have the money to buy a good name brand R/C car don't by one save your money and get a good one not some piece of crap that will brake the first time you take it out to have fun with it.

why would you go from 2 Name brand Proven vehicles to A No name POS like that...Knowing it would'nt hold up to what the 5B and 8ight can....
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post
At your budget you should not be looking at race vehicles, at least not in 1/8 nitro. If you just want to have some fun look for the RTR setups.

Traxxas nitro stampede

Losi Speed-T brushless electric

Stampede VXL brushless electric

Or something similar. For the electrics you'll need a battery and charger so figure another $150 or so. Nitro has the advantage of being able to run non-stop, just refuel and go. But you have to buy nitro and glowplugs and tuning the engines can sometimes be a hassle. A nice thing about the monster trucks is you can run them in more places. Most buggies and stadium trucks are going to be slow in grass and may not have the ground clearance for a dirt lot unless it's fairly clean.

If you have a local hobby shop you should start there. Find out what products they carry a LOT of parts for and go with that. You'll probably be breaking things often and it's no fun waiting a week or two for a $3 part to ship to you.
maybe i should drop by the local rc shop.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
i went to the local hobby shop's website and saw that brand, so i googled it. i found the website, and i started to compare the car with other cars. i then realised that it was a knock off because i sould not find that brand at other online stores. so i posted a thread on that topic.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #22
Tech Regular

next thing is next, after getting a rtr what fuel do i get? or whatever. i dont know anything about nitro fuel. a mixture? a specific type? any tips or tricks about nitro fuel, i shd know before getting the rtr???
Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

If you're not racing stick with 20%, it will help your engine last longer and probably be easier to tune as well. Stick with a name brand that you can regularly get local, sometimes different brands want different tunes on the engine too.

Losi Nitrotane is good and generally easy to find for example.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
Tech Regular

i have just read some info on nitro fuels. so, a basic nitro fuel is atleast 20%? i mean for daily fun. losi, i'll check it out
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
Tech Regular

OHHHH!!!! i think ive seen it at the tamiya shop at the local mall. it was in on a rack. it was a yellow can. and i think this is the one that i saw.well, i cant remember, that was like 3 years ago.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #26
Tech Regular

what about, traxxas fuel? and Trinity monster? or o'donnel fuel? from the scale of one to ten. including nitrotane
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

on nitro fuel run byrons 30% with 11% oil in it. Thats what i run. traxxas fuel is not good. nitrotane is not very good a lot of races and bashers i know don't like it. i have been racing for 16 years now and ran all kinds of fuel and liked byrons the best and now all my friends are using it. just to tell about byrons i have a .12 engine thats been setting for 8 months andpulled it out last night and tore it apart and every thing is clean no rust or sut on anything. with the help of fuel smell adds more oil to it. some people think i'm crazy but i have a eninge with 12 gallons on it and still runs good. thanks
mungen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the 8ight or 8ight T rtr sounds like its right down your ally(fast&fun)...also for bashing rather than race im pretty sure there are other rtr packages around that might fit your $300 budget. Id just try learning as much as you can before you take it out of the box so you can make it last(follow instructions). watch buying used too, you can lose a lot buying used online. new in box rtr from good brands will get you through a gallon or 2
Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #29
Tech Regular

byrons 30% is good for fast speed? im looking at daily fun nitro fuel not for races. i mean, "standard fuel". and 8&stuff, what do you mean by "new in box rtr from good brands will get you through a gallon or 2"? will an engine die or something?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #30
Tech Regular

yellow?