R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default remove case bearings?

w/out special tools ecxept a mac heat gun or oven. how do i pull the bearings out of a .21 crankcase? havnt even tried.

can i keep the original rear bearing and just replace the front leaking bearing?

thanks for help
Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use the heat gun method to change mine. I have been wanting to try the engine method but haven't had anything to change. I just heat up the case quite hot with the heat gun and use a wodden dowell and small hammer to pop the front one out(placing it in a vise makes this alot easier) then heat up the case around the rear bearing and tap the motor on a workbench or table(backplate side down) and the rear should fall right out with a couple fairly solid taps. I would reccomend replacing the rear whle you are at it with a ceramic. you will be happy you did later. You don't have to replace the rear but it would definately be a good idea. besides they are only like $25 for a TKO creamic rear and $15 for a ceramic front. TKO's have been good to me so far and they are fairly cheap and sold in almost every size. This is just how I do it. I have been wanting to get the right tools (bearing extractor etc.) for some time but I can't seem to decide which ones I want to get. They are also quite pricey.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Tech Master

that sounds great. exactly the way i was figuring. thank you
Old 12-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

GRP bearing extractor all the way. it takes 5 minutes to pull and put in a new front and rear bearings. I did a bear swap in a nova, front in the car to back in in less then 20 minutes.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Tech Master

I'l keep an eye out for a killer deal on one(bearing extractor)and have been..then again if i can save the $100(lol like im gonna find 1 4 $100)then i can donate the dough elsewhere

so that grp extractor does all 21's? my local shop had one, if so might try an offer to them for one
Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Tech Master

It seems to. I did my GRP when i did front and rear bearings, and i did a nova 21+5, and a jammin .21
Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i have always used the oven method..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Tech Master

Im a year into nitro..been tearing them down and sealing, changing rods and so on. have had and still have dozen+ engines. just seems neat for the fraction of cost like 1/5th or so the cost of new, an engine can be rebuilt and keep same characteristics that im use to..and bearings upgraded to up performance..just all part of the hobby and done at home..i'l prolly try both methods..my engine guru says oven method..and seems a lot of you guys know just as much and or more so i appreciate the insight..
Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
GRP bearing extractor all the way. it takes 5 minutes to pull and put in a new front and rear bearings. I did a bear swap in a nova, front in the car to back in in less then 20 minutes.
Yeah I was looking at that kit. I may just have to invest in one. Did you have to heat the case up at all or does it just pull them right out? I have heard some you have to heat the case up with but I don't know if this is the case with the grp system.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

whats the best way to learn how do work on the engine.i just dont wanna screw an engine up. the most ive done on the engine is takin the coolin head off, took the back plate off, and took the carb completly apart

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Yeah I was looking at that kit. I may just have to invest in one. Did you have to heat the case up at all or does it just pull them right out? I have heard some you have to heat the case up with but I don't know if this is the case with the grp system.
Pulls the right out without heating. I will normally hit it with the heat gun to get it to about 120 just to make sure.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
whats the best way to learn how do work on the engine.i just dont wanna screw an engine up. the most ive done on the engine is takin the coolin head off, took the back plate off, and took the carb completly apart
until theres an isssue id just leave them be. if you have an old one sitting around you could tinker a little. on a new engine and some makes are harder than others and seem impossible but detaching the connect rod from the crank can be tuff. besides that re assemblings pretty basic(common sense). only thing i see to be sure of is to make sure the con rod is facing the right way.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
Just be careful really. Its not hard at all. As long as you arent going to take the bearings out or pull the con rod off of the piston its really simple. I can completely break down a motor in like 3 mins. Start off by taking the head, head button, backplate and carb off(make sure the piston is at tdc when you take the backplate off or you could break the piston skirt) now put a thick zip tie through the exhaust port and turn toe crank untill the piston and zip tie push the sleeve out(sometimes you will need a flywheel on when you do this) now pull the zip tie out and finish pulling the sleeve out by hand. once the sleeve is out turn the piston to top dead center and pop the con rod off of the crank. With the piston and rod out and no flywheel on you can push the crank out by pressing or tapping on the exposed front part of the shaft. now you have the motor apart. Just reassemble in the exact same order as you took it apart.

Bigedmond- thanks man I think I'm gonna pick a kit up soon.