R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The electric class would be fine but when for some crazy reason there needs to be a Pro, Expert and Int. class for buggy and truggy which is gonna kill the races anyhow. Now in most divisions you will have at most a "C" main in any class is just stupid. Run one class of buggy and one class of truggy and let qualifying set the mains.
Anyone that was around oval racing in the 80s and 90s will tell you TOO many classes is what killed that racing. At our local oval track we went from 3 classes and 80 to 100 entries every week one year to like 12 classes and 40 entries by the end of the next year. I really wish everyone would quit trying to build a class just so they can make an "A" main.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

have you read the rules for the pro class?? there wont be very many entries in that class for a few years.. i think you are doing a great job carlton!
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
The electric class would be fine but when for some crazy reason there needs to be a Pro, Expert and Int. class for buggy and truggy which is gonna kill the races anyhow. Now in most divisions you will have at most a "C" main in any class is just stupid. Run one class of buggy and one class of truggy and let qualifying set the mains.
Anyone that was around oval racing in the 80s and 90s will tell you TOO many classes is what killed that racing. At our local oval track we went from 3 classes and 80 to 100 entries every week one year to like 12 classes and 40 entries by the end of the next year. I really wish everyone would quit trying to build a class just so they can make an "A" main.
I agree with you. even though I am electric 1/8 guy, I like racing with the nitros. In fact, I am a new racer anyway and I prefer running with the really fast nitro guys as that is the only way you really learn to get good is to race against faster guys.

As I said, I don't really see a need to create a seperate class for electrics just yet. There aren't enough of us to justify it imho yet. However, a few rules for racing with nitros would be needed. Much of the push back though has been from the nitro diehards though. Most electric guys just want to race, but in some areas there is resistance from the nitro guys to combining the classes.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I agree with you. even though I am electric 1/8 guy, I like racing with the nitros. In fact, I am a new racer anyway and I prefer running with the really fast nitro guys as that is the only way you really learn to get good is to race against faster guys.

As I said, I don't really see a need to create a seperate class for electrics just yet. There aren't enough of us to justify it imho yet. However, a few rules for racing with nitros would be needed. Much of the push back though has been from the nitro diehards though. Most electric guys just want to race, but in some areas there is resistance from the nitro guys to combining the classes.
I can see their argument, it really is like comparing apples and oranges. Which one really has the advantage? That's hard to tell, I think electrics will in the future as Lipo technology matures even more.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
Tech Legend

From the look of things , the Pro series leadership will separate the two , even though the Pro Series has already combined the electrics with 1/10th gas truck.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
I can see their argument, it really is like comparing apples and oranges. Which one really has the advantage? That's hard to tell, I think electrics will in the future as Lipo technology matures even more.
From a purely performance standpoint, electric can definitely be made faster. Significantly faster acceleration and top end is pretty much only limited by your ability to control the car and voltage. It really isn't even debatable which is faster these days. Top end and acceleration doesn't translate to faster lap times though. Sometimes the electric torque is too much and can make the car uncontrollable - breaking traction, etc.

However, most of the electrics are set up to run about the same top end as the nitros. Anything faster starts to significantly affect the reliability of the cars.

Speed doesn't win the race though. In fact, Drake and Maifield recently ran electric 1/8's at two races and their lap times were within a second of their nitro times. Maifield faster by a sec, Drake slower by a sec. In my mind, that makes them right about the same as a nitro performance wise.

You either can drive or you can't. The power plant isn't going to decide if you are in the A main or D main. only your skills can do that...

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
From a purely performance standpoint, electric can definitely be made faster. Significantly faster acceleration and top end is pretty much only limited by your ability to control the car and voltage. It really isn't even debatable which is faster these days. Top end and acceleration doesn't translate to faster lap times though. Sometimes the electric torque is too much and can make the car uncontrollable - breaking traction, etc.

However, most of the electrics are set up to run about the same top end as the nitros. Anything faster starts to significantly affect the reliability of the cars.

Speed doesn't win the race though. In fact, Drake and Maifield recently ran electric 1/8's at two races and their lap times were within a second of their nitro times. Maifield faster by a sec, Drake slower by a sec. In my mind, that makes them right about the same as a nitro performance wise.

You either can drive or you can't. The power plant isn't going to decide if you are in the A main or D main. only your skills can do that...
Very good points. I can't drive either one so I might as well go with simplicity. Nitro will always be cool because of the effect (sound and smell), but electric from a reliability and ease of use standpoint has me interested. It would be interesting to see the lap times from the same driver using something like a Losi e-8ight and a nitro 8ight. The drivetrains of cars will adapt to electric in the future to make them faster and handle better. Right now cars just have an electric motor where a nitro motor once stood, the drivetrain has not been adapted for the torque and power delivery of the electric motor. Once it is the sky will be the limit on how fast these things can go.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote