R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktransam View Post
I have this same engine but the bbt7 version, engine would always flame out for no reason sometimes after a fuel stop sometimes for no reason, I switched out to a o.s p4 plug and have never had one flame out since. I was also running a #6 RB turbo...

2 other locals run the C6 also with the same flameout issue went to a P4 after I did and have also never had any flameout issues.

but on my s3 lg2 I have had great luck with the rb #6 standard plug? go figure
os plugs are a different taper at the end (not recommended)
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Larks

O'Donnell #97T will cure your RBC6L2G flame outs.
alancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What plug do you guys recommend for the c6 lg2 with 20%? Just picked up this engine with pipe combo and going to break-n after winter. Thanks
travis4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

RB OR Nova engines should be sealed up just because they are $300-450 engines makes no difference they will leak just as a $120 engine.

For flame out issues on the C6 I have tested alot of different glow plugs and have found that Odonnell 97t is the best all around plug.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Hi Larks,

I haven't found which fuel you are using. Some makes your powerplant impossible to tune, runs too hot and reduce your runtime drastically. I would definiately suggest to use Revolution fuel or something which already proven with RB's and available in you area.

I haven't had any experiencies with O'Donnel plugs yet (not available here) but I would suggest to use the black Novarossi plugs, 5TGF or 6TGF. They are more expensive than the silver ones but better too. There were some faulty ones among the silver ones this year. I beleive OS turbo plugs has different shape so I would not reccomend them.

Have you changed airfilter oil before the problem occured? Which one you are using?

Finally it could be your driving as well. The problem if you drove that section with tapping your throttle continously then give full throttle and want your engine to engine to rev up. Sometimes it is almost impossible to tune for this driving (with powerful engines like C6) because if the the LSN is "correct" your engine will loads up with a lot of fuel and then stop when you apply full throttle. If you lean the LSN this case you will be able to go through the technical section but the engine will cut when you apply full throttle. Have you tried driving different through that section?
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for your helpful hints. I am definitely going to clean the engine up good, and then try one of the O'donnel plugs. They seem to be a good price comparatively too.

As far as fuel, I am running Byrons Gen2 25%.

I will say that this engine screams when it is running. It is extremely responsive and has ample top end. If I can just fix this flame out issue I will be a happy camper

Thanks again everyone. Great R/C community.
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

+1 on Bryons Gen 2 25%, great fuel.
I'm putting my money on a air leak, let us know what you find.
aaron joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis4380 View Post
What plug do you guys recommend for the c6 lg2 with 20%? Just picked up this engine with pipe combo and going to break-n after winter. Thanks
+3 on the O'Donnell 97T or 99T plugs for the RB C6bbt series motors! Cant tell you why, but these plugs just work awesome in the RB line. I've run them for years.

- Check your head bolts and backplate bolts for tightness, they should be really snug.
- Check the ears where the motor mounts to the blocks for fine hairline cracks, use a magnifying glass if needed. A cracked case can also exhibit some of the symptoms you described.
- On this model you can run the bottom slightly leaner (1-2 hours) than some other RB models. In exchange richen the top 1 hour for each 2hr lean at the bottom. This can help the load up problem, along with the Odonnell 97 turbo plug. - +2
- +2 on flushing the needles out on your carb. Often a small bur, or plastic piece from the gas tank can make its way into the carb needle, causing tuning issues that are hard to track down.

Last edited by CarCrazy; 12-21-2008 at 01:10 AM.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote