Search

Help - clutch nut came loose while clutchbell attached

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Help - clutch nut came loose while clutchbell attached

Here is a brain teaser, I hope someone can come up with an answer for me

Somehow the clutch nut came loose from the pilot shaft while the clutchbell is still installed. I cannot loosen the screw at the end of the clutchbell because the flywheel no longer holds the pilot shaft.

Short of using something to block the piston is there any way to get resistance on the pilot shaft in order to get the outer screw loose? I'd hate to have to take a dremel to it, it would probably ruin the clutchbell too.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Put a two tiewraps through the exhaust port to hold the piston/engine from rotating. The front bolt should not be that tight to cause any harm to the motor.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

The situation you're describing would be a perfect application of this tool: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8459
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Tiewraps did it - THANKS! I was expecting it to take a lot more pressure to get that bolt off and was worried about damaging the piston.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default pistion lock tool

Originally Posted by Miller_Time
Here is a brain teaser, I hope someone can come up with an answer for me

Somehow the clutch nut came loose from the pilot shaft while the clutchbell is still installed. I cannot loosen the screw at the end of the clutchbell because the flywheel no longer holds the pilot shaft.

Short of using something to block the piston is there any way to get resistance on the pilot shaft in order to get the outer screw loose? I'd hate to have to take a dremel to it, it would probably ruin the clutchbell too.

Here is what I use to tighten and remove the nut on my flywheel maybe it will work for you!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5333
Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

how does that thing work Rob?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

If you want a tool to hold the flywheel for tightening, use a tool like this:

http://edsracingproducts.com/FLYWHEE...B000XAKIIG.htm

I do not recommend any tool that holds the piston to tighten a flywheel nut, as many manufacturers will deny any kind of warranty on the motor if any damage to the piston or internals is found. Clutch nuts need to be tighten correctly and piston lockers can dent pistons with this amount of torque. The O.S. tool maybe, but I still don't like them.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Default piston lock

Originally Posted by BAUSTIN
how does that thing work Rob?
Billy,
It screws in the head locks/stops the piston from traveling to TDC
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Default tool

Originally Posted by ezveedub
If you want a tool to hold the flywheel for tightening, use a tool like this:

http://edsracingproducts.com/FLYWHEE...B000XAKIIG.htm

I do not recommend any tool that holds the piston to tighten a flywheel nut, as many manufacturers will deny any kind of warranty on the motor if any damage to the piston or internals is found. Clutch nuts need to be tighten correctly and piston lockers can dent pistons with this amount of torque. The O.S. tool maybe, but I still don't like them.
I understand what you saying but personal it dosent take alot of force once the engine is locked out. Not my idea just what most the pros in my area use.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

I use just a small, i mean small dot of blue threadlock on the pilot shaft threads, that way you dont have to get the flywheel nut super tight. I just get it as tight as i can while holding the flywheel with my hand. Never, ever had one come loose.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

I wouldnt trust a piston locker personally. If I have trouble with the engine turning over while tightening the clutch nut I just use a big zip tie. Double it over ant put it into the exhaust port as ezveedub said and then tighten or loosten it that way. I have seen some rubber tipped piston lockers but I still wouldnt trust them. You can mess up your piston real easy with them. With the zip tie it would break before hurting the piston.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

If I remember correctly, the piston lock tool that threads into the glow plug opening is only usable on engines that use a standard plug, correct? In which case, that would limit it's use on many of the current popular engines.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jaylude22
If I remember correctly, the piston lock tool that threads into the glow plug opening is only usable on engines that use a standard plug, correct? In which case, that would limit it's use on many of the current popular engines.
that is correct. unless someone offers a turbo version. I don't know of one though.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

there is one other option as well. YOu can put the piston at BDC and then add quite a bit of after run oil, i mean like liberal amount through the glow hole, then put the plug back in, then turn the motor up sidedown and the oil will travel into the cylinder, and we all know you cant compress fluid, so run it against the fluid and it basically hydraulics the motor, bust your screw loose or whatever, then pull the glow plug, run it over on your starter box, and its ready to rip again.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Pull the back plate off the motor and lock
the rear of the crank from turning. Just make
sure that nothing touches the con rod when
you apply preasure to the screw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.