R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 8ight 2.0 handling comparison to RC8? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/260546-losi-8ight-2-0-handling-comparison-rc8.html)

Cain 12-16-2008 01:23 PM

Losi 8ight 2.0 handling comparison to RC8?

This is not a this sucks, etc. thread. What I am looking to find out is how does the handling of the new losi 8ight 2.0 compare to the current RC8 without big bores?

PTP Racing 12-16-2008 01:51 PM

I think they would be pretty close if you pulled both out of the box and threw them down on the track.

Ive had both cars. I had an 8ight and won a RC8 in a raffle. I took both to the track and ran qualifiers with both cars with the same tires. I ran my fastest lap with the 8ight and my fastest qualifier with the RC8 but it was very close in both cases. I left the race that day having come to only one conclusion. I couldnt maintain 2 cars and one or the other had to go.

I offered both for sale and took the first deal that I was offered. I sold the 8ight.

Since then I have had the RC8 for the last year. Ive installed big bores and gotten a set-up I feel very comfortable with. I really like it and this year was one of my most successfull years racing. Partially due to the car and partially because I actually stuck with one car for almost the entire year. I did buy a 808 when it was released but after 3 races I decided to go back to the RC8.

When the 2.0 was released many people bought them. I was lucky enough to get the chance to drive one that is owned by one of the people who has been running near the front on our local track. I immediately was comfortable with the car although it was looser in the rear. It felt like it flew further off the jumps but that really just made me back off the throttle more to make proper landings. The fact is was looser made the tight turns on the track easier but it hurt me a little setting up coming out of the corners for the jumps afterwards. Its definetly a good car and I have considered buying one quite a bit.

I havent ruled it out yet but right now I am leaning towards sticking with the RC8 for next season. Mainly from a financial standpoint as I am already pretty stacked on stuff needed to maintain a RC8. I am considering buying a new RC8 to get the free big bores they are offering till the end of the year.

From a handling perspective I think the RC8 is more planted especially in the rear which is something that works well with my driving style. I prefer to drive through a corner rather than slide through. I also feel like the RC8 can be pushed harder. The 2.0 seems to reward a smooth driving style and if you get to pushing it I feel you will probably overjump things and slide it more coming out of the corner. BUT like everything else SET-UP is the most important thing. I could probably find a set-up that would better lend itself to my style with the 2.0 if I had more time with it.

I dont think there is a clear cut answer to something like this. Its always a personal preference or judgement call. You kinda just have to go with your gut. Either car can win its all up to you.

Bogi 12-16-2008 02:20 PM

I agree the AE seems to be more planted in the rear compared to the Losi...but the Losi seems to be a little bit more nimble in area's where the RC8 felt heavy. I'm sure the actual weight has nothing to do with it but it just felt slower on acceleration and over bumps. I too have owned both cars. The RC8 didn’t really fit my style but it fits my buddies style perfect. I think you should get behind the wheel of both and go from there.

Just like PTP said if you drive it in to turns and drive out the AE is probably for you if you like to take the Dukes of Hazard line the Losi may be for you. They are both great
buggies.

Good Luck