R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
So that means it wouldnt work right?
That's correct, the XZ case will not work with a .21 sleeve.
jaylude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

ok thanks. I havent actually had a problem with either of my OS engines. Just asking for the future in case I do have problems.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Wow after a ton of research I buy a V spec then stumble on this thread!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

As jpalessi mentioned earlier, the JX case can be used with the V-spec internals. So if I were to have a problem with a cracked V-spec case, that would be the first thing I'd do.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo-daddy View Post
Wow after a ton of research I buy a V spec then stumble on this thread!
LOL I wouldn't panic just yet. I still think that there are far more V-specs out there without these issues than there are with. That's not to minimize the problems that the people here have stated, but the V-spec is probably the most popular engine out there and has been for years. There's bound to be some failures/issues in production.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

there are alot more success stories then bad ones
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
So that means it wouldnt work right?
Same case just a bigger bore and the black color.. Right Jaylude....
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1126 View Post
there are alot more success stories then bad ones

I agree! Even though I got punked. I know allot of people who run them with no issues at all, and they all love them. There are lemon engines with every brand. I just buy now from the companies who admit its a Lemon and send me a new one
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya no need to panic. I have 4-5 gallons on my v-spec without changing anything and it runs awesome. It doesn't have too much pinch anyomore but I still see it lasting several gallons more. It is one of the best I have owned. First turbo motor I have had and I'm really liking it. Still running the stock plug that it came with. That would be impossible with a standard plug. Instant power from top to bottom and absolutely ZERO tuning problems with runtimes in the 10 minute range. Definately a winner in my book. I just bought a brand new speed from cjm1126 for next outdoor season.

Oh yeah if you are looking for a speed cjm1126 is the person to talk to. Very reasonable pricing and super fast shipping. Very knolagable guy.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalters View Post
I had major problems with a Vspec that took awhile and a few heartaching losses at important times to figure out...

Motor would run awesome until a fuel stop. As the tank emptied and the engine warmed up good before a fuel stop- then fuel it up and put it on the track and it would spit and sputter, backfire and all kinds of noises. Finally discovered a cracked case.

After some hassle with hobby services they took care of me and gave me a new case. Thing was the old case the crack you could barely see. I could kind of see it but barely had a little ledge which I could scratch with an exacto knife. But when I opened up the backplate and pulled the crank... Oh boy you could see it then, probably 3/4" or so. Check for this good. Good luck
wow they actually gave you the time of day! Ive had the cases crack on 2 different V-Specs in 2 different cars. Sent Hobby Services my case and they sent me a bill for $90. I wrote them a letter explaining the situation and that im not the only one this has happened to at our track. They sent me another bill and said its not under warranty and that it could of been caused by 10 different things. Told them they can keep it and if they can throw it away for me. They have a problem not the consumer.
moto431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
WOW you guys unload a Vspec for a tuning issue? Send em my way

Thats the easier motor in the world to tune.... OS has the best carbs, the longest needle which makes them cake to tune. I think you've been messing with the jet (Some refer to it as the middle needle) If thats been messed with then your on your own. Set it to stock and silicone over it so you or your novice pit guy dont turn it thinking its the low end

Also 99% of the time run a OS P3 plug only
Yesterday was The first time since i got the motor back in febuary that ive messed with the middle needle, i was at my wits end after trying everything else possible tuning wise and that was the only thing left to try, it actually improved the tune abit.

These are the symptoms of the engine:

Ill return the needles back to factory settings via the manual
The engine will start and barely run/move forward at full throttle because of rich settings.
Start leaning out top to get some rpm's into the engine, just enough so it clears out right at full full throttle.
Then ill start tuning the LSN, no matter what i do to the lsn, it will not improve(THIS IS ALL BEFORE I TOUCHED THE MID NEEDLE), even after screwing the lsn almost all of the way in, it is completely rich down low(gluggery and a heap of smoke) and as soon as i get off the throttle for 3secs+ the engine will flood with fuel and ether die or i will have to pump the throttle a few times to get rpms into the engine.

Thats what's happening, any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #42
Tech Champion

i had a friend that had a issue with one of his v-specs they said to send it to them so they could inspect it, he sent it, they inspected it, and sent him a brand new engine
Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #43
Tech Champion

do you have another carb that you can test? you might wanna just get in contact with hobbico and see if they can help you out, there not as bad as some people make them out to be
Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Yesterday was The first time since i got the motor back in febuary that ive messed with the middle needle, i was at my wits end after trying everything else possible tuning wise and that was the only thing left to try, it actually improved the tune abit.

These are the symptoms of the engine:

Ill return the needles back to factory settings via the manual
The engine will start and barely run/move forward at full throttle because of rich settings.
Start leaning out top to get some rpm's into the engine, just enough so it clears out right at full full throttle.
Then ill start tuning the LSN, no matter what i do to the lsn, it will not improve(THIS IS ALL BEFORE I TOUCHED THE MID NEEDLE), even after screwing the lsn almost all of the way in, it is completely rich down low(gluggery and a heap of smoke) and as soon as i get off the throttle for 3secs+ the engine will flood with fuel and ether die or i will have to pump the throttle a few times to get rpms into the engine.

Thats what's happening, any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I would try a new OS p3 plug, and make sure your glow ignitor is fully charged. Sounds to me like a weak glow.. Our Glow Plugs will only carry the glow from the original spark from your ignitor. So a weak ignitor = a weak glow. Most ppl believe that as long as it starts, it's all good, and that's just not the case. The glow WILL NOT get better during combustion. Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #45
Tech Champion

+1 on the glow plug, sometimes it is that simple