R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default O.S. VG .21....how many gallons?

I really liked mine but it just died at 3 1/2 gallons. Except for the short lifespan it's a great motor, easy to tune, great mileage and good low to mid range power. Has anyone got a decent lifespan out of a VG? From what I've read most everbody dogs them because it's not ABC. Any other VG owners out there and how many gallons did you get out of it?
KyJoe340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

I had 2, none of them saw more than 2 1/2 gallons.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Tech Master

I had a O.S. .30 VG that made it to 4 gallons
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm on my 9th gallon on my novarossi..still going strong..almost bought a VG .21..
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Tech Master

And that is exactly why I bought a novarossi
Old 12-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Tech Regular

2.5 gallons. Get it pinched and keep running it Watch the bearings! Mine lasted like 3 gallons!!! I might suggest you have it pinched and get the Boca economy bearing kit or something a little better if you really want to dump money into it. Might keep it smooth as new for another 3 gallons Just check your crank pin fit on the con rod.
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Every VG I've seen craps out in under 2 gallons. User error or coincidence?
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Barely got a gallon out of my first one. New piston and sleeve lasted maybe a tad longer, pinched it and got another gallon. Never a problem with any other motor I have ever had but this one. Runs good while it lasts though.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmsgt View Post
Barely got a gallon out of my first one. New piston and sleeve lasted maybe a tad longer, pinched it and got another gallon. Never a problem with any other motor I have ever had but this one. Runs good while it lasts though.
Do you have an old piston/sleeve/conrod laying around???
Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to CJMay13

2 gals. and done here along with the 4 others we've had at our track. Biggest waste of money on a motor ever. My first 1/8th scale (gs storm rtr) was a better investment than that motor. By the way, I've gotten 8 gallons out of that lil rtr motor without replacing anything on it.
CJMay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
Every VG I've seen craps out in under 2 gallons. User error or coincidence?
User error! Theres absolutely no reason why this motor would only last 2 gallons. I have one and I lost count how much time was run on it. Fact is it doesn't have the top end of a more expensive motor and most people will run it at 300 deg to be competitive. So yes, user error. Under normal running conditions with good smoke and moderate 195-225 tune this should last 8 gallons or more. I have one to prove it.
Darin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Z View Post
User error! Theres absolutely no reason why this motor would only last 2 gallons. I have one and I lost count how much time was run on it. Fact is it doesn't have the top end of a more expensive motor and most people will run it at 300 deg to be competitive. So yes, user error. Under normal running conditions with good smoke and moderate 195-225 tune this should last 8 gallons or more. I have one to prove it.
I'd have to mostly agree with you. I believe mine was due to not replacing the air filter often enough. But I think the sleeve is not capable of lasting as long as some others. I never leaned mine out too much to be competitive but I could picture people doing that.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Z View Post
I have seen several that even being tuned perfectly with plenty of smoke only lasted about 3 gallons.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Tech Regular

I've also heard rumors that the ABL sleeve is extremely sensitive to overheating. So those few times that you ran it a little bit hot could shorten it's life much more than ABC. Really don't have the research to back that one up though! Just read it a couple of places on other forums.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

I bought a VG .21 last year based on the need for a low budget easy to tune engine that everyone online was recommending. followed the included instructions, and it was smooth sailing for about half a gallon, if that.

Next thing you know I was chasing a tune the whole time, would fire when it wanted to, and when of course I needed it too, it would take a powder.

In the end, I should thank that little engine. It got me into electric 1/8 scale.

New owner of it (who had seen all the issues I had but was a tuner guy so figured he could get it working when he bought it and my full nitro setup) had it last all of 1/2 more gallon or so and it was dead.

So based on my experiences with that engine and what I have been reading about it, I wouldn't recommend it. It had the power for a short track, but just too expensive for the little it lasted.