R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Woooaahhh, my bad.

Protip: Scroll your cursor over the thread title and it'll show some of the first post.

I went ahead and bought the GRP .21

Thanks
rrawrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pro tip...nice. For shorter shots swing softer! Yeah, I did that but still..help a brutha out! You'll like that GRP engine, btw.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

running losi run a grp. 300 for a promo kit and you have support from losi, horizon and drake behind you. when i ran grp's i sent my engine into drake and kept me updated on everthing and fixxed it no charge. grp's if your running losi.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42 View Post
These are great threads to discuss products, but it funny how some people only feel the need to prove their product is great by talking bad about another product. they say things like the grp's and rb's are great and other products are no name offbrands, they never discuss why the product they are pushing is better just how better it is compared to this.

Fact is, how big was GRP's team going into the worlds, and how many pro drivers followed thru with their contracts at the worlds.

RB just lost Rody one of the engines designers.

I am not going promote any particular brand but I will stick up for any brand that is critized for not being premier enough. Cause fact is any engine on the market today will offer similar quality and enough power to win a world championship if tuned and maintaned properly.

Atushi Hara didn't win the worlds because of a product he won the worlds because of hours upon hours of dedication to car and engine maintenance, testing, talent, and luck.
well put!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #20
Tech Addict

The RB motors last VERY long, and the S5 would be perfect for new racers or someone trying to hit a certain budget number, while keeping performance high. The S3 would be great for short track racing, but IMO lacks the top end for large tracks unless its modified. I have a modded S3 and it screams quite well.

Yes, GO motors are bang for the buck, Ive seen them run at club races and large events. They seem to run well, but I cant vouch for longevity as I haven't owned one. Just keep in mind that the materials used is everything, and that you will get what you pay for these days. I believe these motors are milled in china, now I'm not knocking China but it should be mentioned. If you need to get a car on the track for cheap, this might be your motor.

Novarossi,... they are back in a BIG way with the release of the new Plus 4. Its a case up new design, and in my opinion they got this one dead on! The motor is made from Nova materials, and again materials have everything to do with longevity/performance. The new plus 4 is selling for around $299.00, I suggest you look at one of these seriously for your pick. I've seen 9-10 minute run times in a buggy with one of these Plus 4's,... and with my own eyes. Pro, and semi pro racers, could really benefit from the run times this new motor will provide.

OS V-spec's are fairly reliable if they aren't abused. They make great power and get great runtime also. However, this is one motor I wouldn't suggest to learn how to tune on, they cant handle seeing 300 too many times...LOL! Also, If you could afford the OS Speed motor, I believe its one of the best mills out, but it looks to be beyond your cost range.

GRP,.... sorry, but I've tried this motor and I personally cant recommend it to anyone.

One other mention... Max Power Motors new C5Q, its based on and produced by Novarossi to Max Powers specs. It has the same materials as Novarossi with some factory modifications to increase performance. You might want to look at picking one of these up, I have heard very very good things about this little known motor.

There are so many other brands available, but I recommend sticking to Novarossi based or RB motors for your budget number of around $300. I think these will have plenty of power and last you quite a while. They should also survive a learning curve quite well if your still learning to tune. "if"...

Hope that helps.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Just to keep everything accurate, carcrazy that was an excellent post and experience is the true test for any product.

Go engines are made in Taiwan not China. Go engines use the same quality materials as any italian made engine, the stock engine bearings come from Italy, and most say it right on the front. The reason they are less expensive then the other brands is a couple of reasons and it has nothing to do with performance or longevity.

1. they are manufactured in Taiwan so manufacturing equipment being equal labor is much cheaper in Taiwan as opposed to Italy.

2. They use a cast piston instead of a machined piston, this saves a great amount of machining time (labor) and this piston has proven to be very good and the life span of the engines are on par with all the other brands. The materials chosen for this molded piston have proven themselves time and again to be a very smooth (low friction) material that allows for great performance and has also proven to hold up extremely well to the rigors of 35k rpm in race conditions.

3. There are no big name salaries being paid to top drivers, there are a huge following of underground racers who are some of the most amazingly helpful people you will ever meet. many of which spend there own time helping people on forums because they believe in the product and are glad something is out that could allow them to compete on the track and not with the checkbook.

All of these savings gets past to the end user, while all the premier engine fans complain the engine isn't expensive enough to be quality.

Not to mention the contingency program.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
GRP,.... sorry, but I've tried this motor and I personally cant recommend it to anyone.
Please take this for exactly what it is...a legitimate question asking for information. Having said that, what was it about the GRP you didn't like? Like rrawrrrrr, I just bought a new GRP. It is the standard model which I am told runs similar to the GRP-based Mugen Ninja MR21-B01 (which I really like).
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

did ya get the moded or non mod ver
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Just to keep everything accurate, carcrazy that was an excellent post and experience is the true test for any product.

Go engines are made in Taiwan not China. Go engines use the same quality materials as any italian made engine, the stock engine bearings come from Italy, and most say it right on the front. The reason they are less expensive then the other brands is a couple of reasons and it has nothing to do with performance or longevity.

1. they are manufactured in Taiwan so manufacturing equipment being equal labor is much cheaper in Taiwan as opposed to Italy.

2. They use a cast piston instead of a machined piston, this saves a great amount of machining time (labor) and this piston has proven to be very good and the life span of the engines are on par with all the other brands. The materials chosen for this molded piston have proven themselves time and again to be a very smooth (low friction) material that allows for great performance and has also proven to hold up extremely well to the rigors of 35k rpm in race conditions.

3. There are no big name salaries being paid to top drivers, there are a huge following of underground racers who are some of the most amazingly helpful people you will ever meet. many of which spend there own time helping people on forums because they believe in the product and are glad something is out that could allow them to compete on the track and not with the checkbook.

All of these savings gets past to the end user, while all the premier engine fans complain the engine isn't expensive enough to be quality.

Cool, I didn't know GO used Italian bearings... very interesting. My bad on saying China, I get mixed up these days on where exactly things get milled. LOL! So I take it the Taiwan factory imports its raw materials from elsewhere. Again I'm not knocking GO, and I have seen a few at the track run well, so I hope others that own them can chime in here on longevity.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
Please take this for exactly what it is...a legitimate question asking for information. Having said that, what was it about the GRP you didn't like?
I had the GRP tuned version with the titanium coated pipe combo. To get the full story you had to know what I had been running before the GRP. Before I got the GRP, I had been running an RB Mods C6BBT7 motor. So after the break-in of the GRP was done, I began trying to get the GRP to make power like my C6, and that was never going to happen. At its best tune the GRP is a smooth running motor with ok top end, I was expecting more. After tuning constantly for about a week at every practice I could, I finally found a tune that was ok. So I ran a club race with it and ended up flaming out. I gave it a few more days, but never found anything close to a consistent tune and always had flame out issues. After selling the motor, I watched as many of my track buddies ended up doing the same exact thing. Now nearly everyone I new that ran a GRP has sold it and moved on. But hey,... Drake still runs his! LOL! After selling that motor and running OS and RB motors the rest of the year, I had a great season finishing now 20 races in a row with no DNS's in expert class. Thats my story...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I just bought the non tuned version of grp for a practice motor and it rips you won't be dissapointed with this motor. It does'nt get as good of fuel mileage as the tuned,but it does'nt lack much behind in power.
jwcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:

Good post with great feedback on the Go. Of those that I know who run them they often highly recommend them. Again words they always use are reliability, easy to tune, and cheap to buy. My driving isn't hampered by the speed of my motor so I want some disposable motors for a while, when I'm losing races because my car is just flat out slower then I'll put some high end/ high dollar race mills in.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcobra03 View Post
I just bought the non tuned version of grp for a practice motor and it rips you won't be dissapointed with this motor. It does'nt get as good of fuel mileage as the tuned,but it does'nt lack much behind in power.
what kind of time u get
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquidracer View Post
running losi run a grp. 300 for a promo kit and you have support from losi, horizon and drake behind you. when i ran grp's i sent my engine into drake and kept me updated on everthing and fixxed it no charge. grp's if your running losi.
Where can you get a promo kit for $300?????
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

novarossi
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote