R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default Shelf Life of FUEL

Can someone tell me tell-tail signs of bad/dated Nitro? Assuming it's stored properly does go-juice have a shelf life. Any links about The Nitro Subject would be appreciated.
robbdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think as long as it is stored properly nitro fuel has an close to unlimited shelf life. I have never seen any fuel with a sell by date or anything like that on it. The trick is to store it off the ground in a stable climate with limited exposure to light. My understanding is concrete or metal can leach nitro through the bottle somehow. I dont understand how that is possible but have heard it enough times that I have the beleive it to be true.

I have some fuel that Ive had since mid summer. I store it in my closet on a wood shelf. So far so good.

The signs your fuel may have gone bad would be a seperation of the dye or oil or some sort of discoloration.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202

i dont think it is the concrete sneaking in...it is the cold/temp change of storing it on the concrete. you dont want to store it in your garage on the concrete. moisture gets in. and you dont want that
_|MRC/Team Academy_|_www.modelrec.com|_
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Robb,

If the bottle's seal hasn't been broken it can sit a couple years. If the seal is broken and you don't use it quickly it will become contaminated with water. Every time the bottle is opened, fresh air gets introduced into the bottle and the alcohol will draw the moisture into the fuel. Sipping a bit from the bottle over a year will spoil the fuel more than using once and setting it on a shelf for 12 months. I personally won't use fuel that has been opened for more than 6 months (but that's my choice). So I always buy in quarts rather than gallons.

chunk
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

An opened container ( closed lid obviously) , stored out of sunlight, will probably last 1 year or so.

I aquired about 3 gallons of Rocket Science that had to have been nearly 2 years old and it worked fine. Though they had not been opened, they lacked the plastic seal that Odonnells has, or the aluminum foil found on some.

Byrons will turn a darker color as it ages.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have 5 gallons of sidewinder 30. 3 are 10%oil&2 are 12%oil&half of that are in quart bottles. 1 gallon of each are 6+months old. 1 gallon of each were bought in the last few weeks and seem a touch more dark in color. I have about 12 wooden stairs that lead into my basement and store them all there. I am using the oldest before the more recent purchased. when i get the chance to buy quarts under$10 and gallons under$30 and have enouph cheese I buy, i do. from all I read about nitro storage I follow guidlines as strict as possible. I always had concern about storage on concrete. my main concern now is the gallons of same mixture being different shades. guess i wont know till i use them although im sure that they will be fine
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My LHS told me after its been opened its a good idea to use it up within a years time. I mark the date I open it up on the can to keep track.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote