Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamite Platinum 21

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Dynamite Platinum 21

Hey guys I have a Dynamite Platinum 21 motor that I am running in my D8. I was wondering if any of you guys who are running the motor have had to tune the mid range needle on it. I have as I am trying to get some bottom end out of it. What could I do to get more bottom end out of this motor? I currently am using the stock carbon clutch shoes that came with the D8 along with the stock 1.0 springs. Will aluminum clutch shoes improve the bottom end? If so what shoes do you guys recommend? Also will the aluminum shoes used for a mugen mbx5r fit , I was given a set by a close friend to try, but I haven't had time to take apart the clutch yet to see if it will fit. Oh, and I am using a losi re10 pipe with this motor.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xpertpredator
Hey guys I have a Dynamite Platinum 21 motor that I am running in my D8. I was wondering if any of you guys who are running the motor have had to tune the mid range needle on it. I have as I am trying to get some bottom end out of it. What could I do to get more bottom end out of this motor? I currently am using the stock carbon clutch shoes that came with the D8 along with the stock 1.0 springs. Will aluminum clutch shoes improve the bottom end? If so what shoes do you guys recommend? Also will the aluminum shoes used for a mugen mbx5r fit , I was given a set by a close friend to try, but I haven't had time to take apart the clutch yet to see if it will fit. Oh, and I am using a losi re10 pipe with this motor.
Hey dude. this is Danny.

Assuming you are not getting a lean bog, and your tune is good, you can try to trim a little off the tip of the carbon shoes, and run some 1.1 springs. Im not familiar with the Dynamite engine, but you may be able to gain some bottom end snap this way.
As for the mid setting on the carb, personally I normally leave them at the factory setting. If i mess with it at all, I never have to turn it more than a 1/2 hr in either direction. I only use it to smooth out the transition from low speeds to high, if I cant get it by using the LSN.
Someone else may have another opinion on this though.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is it the new version engine or the old. The old version is very hard to get bottom end like a high doller engine.

I have heard the new version is better though.

Are you running the 053 pipe? If not you should be.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brian kadow
Is it the new version engine or the old. The old version is very hard to get bottom end like a high doller engine.

I have heard the new version is better though.

Are you running the 053 pipe? If not you should be.
How can I tell if it is the new or old version? I bought it like one month ago from airland hobbies. It came as a combo deal with a losi RE10 pipe, from what I understand this pipe is a bottom end pipe, but would the 053 pipe be better?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Predator,
The new engines is the xp model. I would use the 053 pipe with a round header. As for the bottom end like someone already stated make sure the bottom end needle isnt to lean. And for the mid range needle whatever you do dont touch that needle or you will have worse problems than you have now. What kind of temps are you running in? I would try maybe putting a dyn#3 plug in it also. This plug will make the motor easier to tune.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You can do as said earlier and trim alittle off the carbon shoes, or you can use the Mugen shoes. Mugen makes 2 kinds of alum shoes look up the part number and see if they are the regular ones or the light ones, the light ones will engage earlier which will give you more bottum end snap. But with alum shoes you will have to take the bell off after every race day and trim the " mushroom " affect off. Going to 1.1 springs with your stock shoes will also give alittle more snap. Try some scotchbrite pad on the inside of the bell to. Because you can get slippage from the bell being dirty, and spray your stock shoes with brake cleaner at the same time you clean the inside of the bell.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JHUDSON
Predator,
The new engines is the xp model. I would use the 053 pipe with a round header. As for the bottom end like someone already stated make sure the bottom end needle isnt to lean. And for the mid range needle whatever you do dont touch that needle or you will have worse problems than you have now. What kind of temps are you running in? I would try maybe putting a dyn#3 plug in it also. This plug will make the motor easier to tune.
alright I do have the xp model. I will put the mid range back to its factory setting when i go out this weekend, and I will just play around with the lsn. I have a O'Donnell 99 plug in there right now. As for temps I have no idea, as I don't own a temp gun and everytime I borrow someones for a quick temp each and every gun gives me a different reading so I don't know, all I do Know is it isn't that lean as a nice stream of blue smoke comes out of the pipe. I will check out the 053 pipe. What do you mean by round header? Will the 053 pipe make a big difference over the losi RE10 pipe I have in there now. I don't want to invest too much money in trying to get the bottom end out of this motor because if i spend over 100 bucks in trying to get bottom end I might as well buy another budget motor that has bottom end.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by malik
You can do as said earlier and trim alittle off the carbon shoes, or you can use the Mugen shoes. Mugen makes 2 kinds of alum shoes look up the part number and see if they are the regular ones or the light ones, the light ones will engage earlier which will give you more bottum end snap. But with alum shoes you will have to take the bell off after every race day and trim the " mushroom " affect off. Going to 1.1 springs with your stock shoes will also give alittle more snap. Try some scotchbrite pad on the inside of the bell to. Because you can get slippage from the bell being dirty, and spray your stock shoes with brake cleaner at the same time you clean the inside of the bell.
I have trimmed the shoes. I will go ahead and order some 1.1 springs. The mugen clutch shoes I have are the regular aluminum ones. I would prefer to stick with the carbon shoes though as it is a little less maintenance, but if the aluminum shoes will make a big difference I will use them. I mean my brothers losi 8ight rtr has more punch than I do.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

On my D8 with that engine I run the 053 round header #6 plug/Nova using 2 washers..Important. Yes I adjust the mid screw. Drop the head to only 1 thin shim w/6 plug....runs better with cold plug and 1 shim. Mugen aluminums p/n CO794 using the stock HB 1.0 springs. This gave me what I was looking for. I race at Rev and it works great.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

When you adjusted the midrange screw did you back it out a turn or in a turn. right now mine is about 1.5 - 2 turns in. I will definatley order the 053 pipe as that is what appears to be the correct pipe for this motor. I will run the #6 plug. As far shimming the motor I haven't even touched that I am just running it right now as it came in the box. I will try those mugen shoes too. When you say round header what do you mean? I see the 053 pipe is a dynamite pipe, but I don't understand what you say or mean about a round header.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Regarding the shoes you have it backwards. Lighter shoes engage earlier providing less snap....bogging the engine. Heavier shoes need greater rpm to get thrown out therfore they "hit" harder giving more snap.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thopper
Regarding the shoes you have it backwards. Lighter shoes engage earlier providing less snap....bogging the engine. Heavier shoes need greater rpm to get thrown out therfore they "hit" harder giving more snap.

Actually you have it backwards...heavier engages earlier, lighter engages later.....tighter spring later, softer spring earlier !
Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Dynamite has the round header. You may want to try the other stuff with the pipe you have 1st.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I found that with this motor it makes the most power at 200 210 degrees. And if the bottom end is lean you are going to feel as if you need more power because of lack of fuel. And if you feel like the tune is right i would mess with the clutch as you have already metioned. maybe go all aluminum shoes. Another thing i would try is different plugs! i would use a mcoy #8 or a dyn #3 or 4
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JHUDSON
I found that with this motor it makes the most power at 200 210 degrees. And if the bottom end is lean you are going to feel as if you need more power because of lack of fuel. And if you feel like the tune is right i would mess with the clutch as you have already metioned. maybe go all aluminum shoes. Another thing i would try is different plugs! i would use a mcoy #8 or a dyn #3 or 4
Yah I am gonna go ahead and order the dynamite 053 pipe , and I am gonna try the mugen aluminum clutch shoes. I will also try changing to a different plug. I am still learning how to tune as this is my first nitro, but I do feel the bottom end is lacking, it does not bog or anything like that, but it isn't snappy either. I mainly run at Thunder Alley in Beaumont, which is a track that requires more bottom end than top. Like I stated above my brothers losi 8ight rtr has more punch than me, and it made me realize how lacking the bottom end was on my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.