R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
Pretty much, only run a regulator if you've got servos that aren't rated for it, and have no history of working at that voltage... Unless you wanna be the lucky gambler

I'm tempted to take my CCBEC out of my truggy and go unregulated... Going to do some reading up on my throttle servo first

Just some tech any servo that runs the Fr6461 DIGITAL intergrated circuit and coreless motor can run up to 9Volts as for the receivers i dont know .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #62
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Just some tech any servo that runs the Fr6461 DIGITAL intergrated circuit and coreless motor can run up to 9Volts as for the receivers i dont know .

Interesting.....any more info on this particular board/motor combo ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #63
Tech Adept

So the problem with not using regulator is only the servos or also the receiver? Most of you refer to the servos (I use ACE servos and MX-3FHSS receiver).

Also one important to me question: When the lipo is connected directly to the regulator and the regulator is then connected to a switch (closed), does the regulator draws current? So in some days your lipo will be exhausted?

Thank you!
vagnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Most receivers are good for LiPo voltage, but you'll have to double check, as there's some that aren't.

And you should have the regulator on the OTHER side of the switch, as it always draws current.

You should, actually, always unplug the LiPo just to be on the extra safe side...
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #65
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
Most receivers are good for LiPo voltage, but you'll have to double check, as there's some that aren't.

And you should have the regulator on the OTHER side of the switch, as it always draws current.

You should, actually, always unplug the LiPo just to be on the extra safe side...

X2...switch or Not UN plug your lipo when your not using it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #66
Tech Rookie

I'm using a 4pk and bls351 servos and a personal transponder. do u guys think that its safe for me to use lipo 2s without a regulator?
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #67
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

The AMB transponders, seem to be rated for a maxiumum of 8 volts... Not sure if that extra .4 volts is going to bother it or not.
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #68
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagnik View Post
So the problem with not using regulator is only the servos or also the receiver? Most of you refer to the servos (I use ACE servos and MX-3FHSS receiver).

Also one important to me question: When the lipo is connected directly to the regulator and the regulator is then connected to a switch (closed), does the regulator draws current? So in some days your lipo will be exhausted?

Thank you!
The regulator will draw a small amount of current if directly plugged into the lipo but it is easier to plug the lipo into the switch and switch into the regulator, no need to turn off the switch with this configuration.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #69
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
I'm using a 4pk and bls351 servos and a personal transponder. do u guys think that its safe for me to use lipo 2s without a regulator?
up
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #70
Tech Elite

You have to use a regualtor in servos that are NOT HV. Spektrum receivers can handle the extra volts but ther servos can not unless it is made for HV,
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
You have to use a regualtor in servos that are NOT HV. Spektrum receivers can handle the extra volts but ther servos can not unless it is made for HV,
No, you can go unregulated w/ almost any servo. Regular 5 cell packs peak at 8v so I doubt the extra .4v is really harming the servos.
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #72
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive never understood why you would need a regulator anyway. I run electic offroad also and run a 2s 25c 4900 lipo with the same receiver and lesser quality servos than 1/8 scale. Whats the deal with that ? Can someone explain the theory of why you can run it one way but not the other ?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromania View Post
No, you can go unregulated w/ almost any servo. Regular 5 cell packs peak at 8v so I doubt the extra .4v is really harming the servos.
Ok Im not going to argue - you NEED A REGULATOR - with lipo and yes its a big difference from NHIM. I have burnt out 4 servos becuase I was told that I didnt not needs a regulator. No servo company will warrenty your servos that you have burnt out. well - to each is own
Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
Ive never understood why you would need a regulator anyway. I run electic offroad also and run a 2s 25c 4900 lipo with the same receiver and lesser quality servos than 1/8 scale. Whats the deal with that ? Can someone explain the theory of why you can run it one way but not the other ?

Your ESC regulate the voltage input going into the RX
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #75
Tech Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Ok Im not going to argue - you NEED A REGULATOR - with lipo and yes its a big difference from NHIM. I have burnt out 4 servos becuase I was told that I didnt not needs a regulator. No servo company will warrenty your servos that you have burnt out. well - to each is own
first of all servo's DO NOT need to be HV to take 2 cell unregulated...there are many brands and models that will accept it no problem's.....2ndly servo's will still be warrantied even if they were run on 2 cell unregulated....that's what a warranty is for....Hitec will replace a Chewed up servo a dog got a hold of....They WILL warranty a 2 cell lipo incident.