R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just run ballistic batteries/ stickman type 2700mah 5 cell AA batteries. They last me all race day with plenty to spare plus there relatively cheap and hassle free. I have never had one problem with my setup. However they are quite heavy but I don't really care about that. I was going to try a lipo setup a couple of months ago but decided not to because of the cost/ hassle of getting all the equipment(battery, regulator, charger, power supply, etc.)
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

i run a regulated lipo with no issues.....ive also had Nimh's fail and cause more problems then they are worth.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been running a 9351 and a 9451 for well over 6mo with a lipo and no regulator. One of my best friends is doing the same with no problems either.
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
free2day77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2day77 View Post
I have been running a 9351 and a 9451 for well over 6mo with a lipo and no regulator. One of my best friends is doing the same with no problems either.

what radio system ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
Tech Regular

I am using the Futaba 3pm with the built in FASST and my friend is using a JR z-1 and neither of us have had any issues.
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #21
Tech Lord

Quote:
I am using the Futaba 3pm with the built in FASST and my friend is using a JR z-1 and neither of us have had any issues.

is he running the same servo's ? BLS series ? or regular ?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #22
Tech Regular

he is running a 9351 and Hitec 5995 i believe.
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
he is running a 9351 and Hitec 5995 i believe.

well this is good stuff to know...as ive only "heard" of guys running there Faast system's unregulated before.....what batteries are you running may i ask ?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #24
Tech Regular

I am using this one:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=258

I have had zero problems with this setup... I ran it this way in the 100+ deg texas summer and now in the cold, not 1 issue.
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
I am using this one:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=258

I have had zero problems with this setup... I ran it this way in the 100+ deg texas summer and now in the cold, not 1 issue.

awsome...thx for posting this......whats servo draw like....how man mah after so much run time ?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
Tech Regular

I can run this for around an hour to hour fifteen minutes with no problem.
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #27
Tech Elite

There is no definitive answer for this question.

I personally run my lipo pack unregulated. I put the lipo in my car to save weight adding a regulator and the associated wiring IMO negates any weight savings. I had also read enough people saying their regulators had crapped out on them it was easy for me to make the decision not to run one.

Most servos can handle the additional voltage but few manufacturers will say their servos can handle it. I have used Ace/AE and Hitec 5955 servos unregulated without issue but neither manufacturer says the servos are meant to handle the additional voltage.

It seems to be a gamble either way at this point unless you spend the additonal money on servos specifically designed for the extra voltage. I personally decided to gamble my servos could handle it rather than on a regulator.

I will tell you that without a doubt the Ace servos are fast as lightening with the additional voltage
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

in 8ight/t both i run z9100s&t in both regulated losi lipo&regulators w/spectrum sr3000. as difficult as it was installing the regulators the way i wanted them, i felt the need because of repair times sending and reinstalling everything if there were problems. as much of the time i believe manufacturers or companys and distributors create ways to sell more, unregulating servos was not one of those times. at over 100 bucks a pop its just better to buy the $20 regulator and not wonder and worry if there will be damage in near or far future
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Tech Elite

I've had two Castle Creations regulators start glitching. But they whould allways keep the car drivable. No runaways. It was a defect with the first batch. I'll send them back for warranty repair.

The CC 10amp reg were nice because they were adjustable in output if you had the cable. I programmed mine to 6.9 volts and the hitec 7955 and 5955 servos were exceptionally fast at that voltage.

I have a Novak regulator and its been good but its slow, lower voltage output/non adjustable.

The regs don't weigh much at all. As long as you mount them in your radio box nicely they hold up ok. Cut the wires good and short. I wrap my reg in a papertowel to keep water/dust off it. But it can still breath. My reciever is in a balloon.

I think the problem is the regs are new so some don't hold up due to defective desighn. But they'll come around. Airplanes have been using regs for a while now. They don't fail all that often.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well reading the instruction booklet that came with my ACE servo's, it says if you use an AM system with a BEC, current supplied to the servo will be limited, and it recommends bypassing the BEC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a BEC basically the same as a regulator?

Anyway, I'm going with no regulator, and will see what happens, thanks for everyone's input

Cheers

BTW, linked are the lipo's I'm gonna use

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=15244
AE 1/10, Reds
"If it's old skool, it's kool"
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote