R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Replacing CVD pins

Howdy folks,

I'm wondering if anybody here repairs their worn CVD's rather than replacing them. I have a couple of used 1/8 scale vehicles (Jammin X1 CRT, Kyosho MP7.5) with worn CVD's. I've looked at them closely, and almost ALL of the wear is either in the universal joint connecting pins or the dogbones on the end of the CVD. The actual machined pieces themselves have very little if any wear. If the pins could be pressed out and replaced, most of the drive slop would vanish. I'm just wondering if this is something that people do, and if the pins can be purchased.

Kris
Current Toys: 1990 RC10 Gold Pan buggy, 1991 RC10 Team Buggy, AE TC3, Diggity Designs XLR8, Tamiya TRF 415, Losi Mini Late Model, Losi Mini Slider, AE RC18MT, 2 Jammin X1X CR's, 2 Jammin X1 CRT Pro's, HPI Savage XL, Revo Platinum, Jammin X2 CR Electric Conversion, 4X2 Slash, 4X4 Slash, Losi Comp Crawler, Arrow Shark 47" Boat, Blade 400 Heli, Blade CX3
CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think it varies with each company. i am not sure if they are all made the same. I know my Hudy CVD's have replaceable pins, but without the Hudy tool ($100) they are really difficult to change. I would see if your manual has part numbers for the pins only. If it does that means they are replaceable, if not, you may need to buy all new CVD's Some companies would do that on purpose so you need to buy a $20 part instead of $5 worth of new pins
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Tech Adept

YES, rebuild them if they are not bent, its cheap and easy, HUDY makes a tool to take the bone pins out and the joints are easy. It will cost less than the price of one set of cvds to rebuild all of them. I just rebuilt the ones on my mugen.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Tech Adept

My computer is slower than his sorry
Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambydsgb View Post
YES, rebuild them if they are not bent, its cheap and easy, HUDY makes a tool to take the bone pins out and the joints are easy. It will cost less than the price of one set of cvds to rebuild all of them. I just rebuilt the ones on my mugen.
Are all the CVD pins on ever buggy replaceable?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

You can rebuild the dog bone end on any 1/8.. the CVD end is only rebuild-able with certain manufactures,, for example Mugen CVD's are completely rebuild-able, where Kyosho is not, because the CVD doesn't come apart where the CVD joint is.
I use this micro press tool from "innovative design"
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...?idproduct=464

The pins need to be the correct length from centers, to F/R axles....centers are 1 mm shorter so they don't hit your break discs. The Xray pins seem to be the strongest IMO, and can be used in most 1/8 cars. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

i use the Motion Pro Knock off pin press.....they can be had for 35$ on ebay....easy peezey to change pins....but a MUST is Liquid red loc tite to hold the pins in as they Will come out without it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...motiveQ5fTools
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
i use the Motion Pro Knock off pin press.....they can be had for 35$ on ebay....easy peezey to change pins....but a MUST is Liquid red loc tite to hold the pins in as they Will come out without it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...motiveQ5fTools
WOW that's some set for 38 bux!
What car do u run that you havta use the red LT? I've been replacing the pins for years now with no LT, and no problems.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a machinest make a tool for me in which he too a small block of steel and drilled a 4mm hole through it. Then I would take a C clamp and press out the pin.
omarwashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
WOW that's some set for 38 bux!
What car do u run that you havta use the red LT? I've been replacing the pins for years now with no LT, and no problems.

ive had a couple losi and mugen pins walk when i didnt use it.....and imo the tool i posted is the most user friendly possible...you can do it IN you hands with little effort...lots of the smaller versions i see would be a Nightmare to turn that many thread on an Allen head and how would you go about holding it...you would need another pair of plyer's or something to Grasp it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
ive had a couple losi and mugen pins walk when i didnt use it.....and imo the tool i posted is the most user friendly possible...you can do it IN you hands with little effort...lots of the smaller versions i see would be a Nightmare to turn that many thread on an Allen head and how would you go about holding it...you would need another pair of plyer's or something to Grasp it.
yeah I've been rebuilding the mugen cvd's for years now , and i haven't had any walk out on me. The tool I posted just requires a 10mm wrench, and it pushes them out no problem. To be honest it's a really expensive tool with a HUGH mark up, but it's paid for it's self many times over in the time I've own it. The ebay one for 38 buxs looks really nice to, and will serve other purposes I'm sure.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

+1 for the red LT. I have also had the bone pins
walk. I pressed a new pin in with some red LT and
they have stayed put.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use a bench vise and a 1/4" drive socket - takes a few minutes. Use the vise to press the worn pin out into the socket til its flush and then use new pin to finish. Take worn pin out of the socket, set it back up in vise and press the new pin in until centered in the bone.

I have a few UE based trucks and with the TI shafts, you don't need red loctite, for steel cvds, its a definite.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
Tech Master

Integra I have news for you thats not a MP knock off its the same one I have. Mine says motion pro on the sticker & has a blue case but it all looks the same,all the parts are in the same place in the case,spring is the same color only I paid around $100 for mine & they dont sell it no more,lucky you.

There must be some differanc though because mine is a biotch to use & is no where as easy as the bone saver.I finaly used a buddys bone saver & am getting one of my own now. Its so far supperior to the MP one I have retired mine back to the bikes only tool box & am waiting on the bone saver one to replace my pins now. No joke find one & use it & you'll do the same.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Integra I have news for you thats not a MP knock off its the same one I have. Mine says motion pro on the sticker & has a blue case but it all looks the same,all the parts are in the same place in the case,spring is the same color only I paid around $100 for mine & they dont sell it no more,lucky you.

There must be some differanc though because mine is a biotch to use & is no where as easy as the bone saver.I finaly used a buddys bone saver & am getting one of my own now. Its so far supperior to the MP one I have retired mine back to the bikes only tool box & am waiting on the bone saver one to replace my pins now. No joke find one & use it & you'll do the same.
+1 bone saver is very user friendly. I change out pins track side in minutes.