R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default 8ight 2.0 radio tray and LiPo - Radio Tray Layout

I am in the process of switching over to lipo for radio power. Where is everyone installing their regulator? Are you stuffing it in the receiver box, or back with the battery? Pics would help alot. Thanks.
CJKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Which LiPo and which reg. are you going to run?
I ran the Losi LiPo and Novak reg. for a while and had the Novak in the rec. box. What I did was take apart the Novak switch and routed the wires for the switch out of the box and then mounted the switch by the old switch hole. I covered the old switch mount hole with some Parma Body Repair tape. Its actually thicker than tape, but doing that allowed me to position the reg. in the rec. bow so I could see the blue LED when it was on.

I now run the Losi reg. and hav it in the rec. box by the rec. Seems to fit in well enough with the spektrum rec. I have. I stood it up between the rec. and the inner part of the rec. box (steering servo side) and haven't had a problem yet. I did change LiPo batts from Losi to Common Sence and had to use the standard NiMh cover as the batt if taller than the Losi LiPo batt. I suppose I could have put the reg. in the batt. box, but didn't. Sorry I don't have pics to show you. Hope that helped some.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks, I am using the Losi battery and Losi regulator. I also have a Novak Smart Stop I plan on using as well to protect the battery from discharging too much. I've got a lot to cram and would like to use the small batt box top if possible. I am using a Futaba FASST receiver (R603FS), so they are a bit bigger than the newer Spektrums.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I run mine with the reg in with the receiver, its a snug fit but it works.
Ashalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

old tray obviously....but nothing changed in the RX box area.

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you wish to run the HT Batteries setup I run that and have the HT Regulator in with the reciever as well. I needed an extension lead to go from the regulator back to the battery. Running the flat top battery cover you will only be able to use the 950 MaH battery or use the larger one and use the hump top lid. Allows quite a bit of room for padding foam around there as well. Hope this helps. The Losi battery is larger capacity MaH and is the same size as the little HT. It was made for the Eight by Losi with intentions of using the flat topped lid...
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just installed the 2.0 tray and linkage on my 8T, fits perfectly and makes much more logical sense
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
I just installed the 2.0 tray and linkage on my 8T, fits perfectly and makes much more logical sense
What linkage did you use? Thought the 2.0 linkage wasn't available yet. Does the throttle servo or something else hit the mud guard on the chassis?
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
What linkage did you use? Thought the 2.0 linkage wasn't available yet. Does the throttle servo or something else hit the mud guard on the chassis?

All you have to do is use a little longer brake rods and use all the stock 1.0 peices...the dirt guard does need to be shaved for some servos.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

in my 1.0 w/sr3000 i use a switch(not on regulator,the jr switch)and although its a tight fit i put my regulator on top of the reciever. i see pics above have no switch,which would be easier to install. til i have a switch fail i prefer using a switch
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is how i run mine

I dont run a switch. I just use micro deans plugs between the receiver and battery box and unplug them to turn it off.

I put my regulator where the switch was. I use a KingPower 5A reg with a Thunder Tiger 1015 and a Sanwa/Airtronics ERG-VZ

I also use a bit of airbrush hose on the end of a 10mm peice of antenna tube and curve it back onto a long grub screw. it makes it so much easier to get the body on and off in a hurry. And it looks great without the antenna sticking out. it doesn't loose signal until well past 100m

8ight 2.0 radio tray and LiPo - Radio Tray Layout-servo-tray.jpg

TIX Race Designs. Plaig Bearings. Thunder Innovations
TIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Thanks to all. Integra, I will try your setup as this is the same receiver I use. Now where to put the Novak Smart Stop...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKinney View Post
Thanks to all. Integra, I will try your setup as this is the same receiver I use. Now where to put the Novak Smart Stop...

if you already bought the novak....dirty....but if not...its not needed imo....unless you go out and race for hours on end....you wont drain a pack enough to kill it in one day...i got a little handy voltage load tester from Dynamite called the Sentry that works a charm on testing the batts....as it also puts a 300mah load on the pack and not just telling you static voltage...which Can be Wrong.