R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight-t carbon fiber chassis

Has anyone used this carbon fiber chassis for the 8ight-t. Its way expensive and looks really cool, but does it hold up to the abuse of racing? Does it make a positive improvement in handling? Any input from anybody. Here's the link>>
http://www.matrixconceptsinc.com/pro...=2&idproduct=2
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

well ive HEARD of them snapping under pressure and they dont hole up to dings very well they just chip off.

But thats what i heard and im not to sure if its true, i do know that carbon fiber is NOT for impact its for light weight and rigidity. So under a hard landing theoreticly they would snap.

So in my mind i wouldnt see them being good for off road, there perfect for on road because on road cars dont have jumps .
Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Tech Adept

They've done a lot of R&D at Matrix. I'm sure they picked a high modulous resin for their carbon to withstand the riggors of offroad racing. Don't pay attention to anyone who generalizes about FRP composites because they are not all the same. The folks at Matrix have been in the composite business long enough to know what they are doing. The only change I would like to see is the use of carbon/aramid hybrid weaves on the bottom of the chassis to better resist wear and tear. Then again, one can use motocross number plate plasic on the bottom of the chassic to help protect it. I wish they made one for the RC8.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
well ive HEARD of them snapping under pressure and they dont hole up to dings very well they just chip off.

But thats what i heard and im not to sure if its true, i do know that carbon fiber is NOT for impact its for light weight and rigidity. So under a hard landing theoreticly they would snap.

So in my mind i wouldnt see them being good for off road, there perfect for on road because on road cars dont have jumps .

if you only had a clue.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

looks cool i would love to try one if they made it for the rc8 ant rc8t, looks high quality too, how does the carbon wear compared to a aluminum chassis? they should make carbon skid plates for my rc8?
franklucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklucas View Post
looks cool i would love to try one if they made it for the rc8 ant rc8t, looks high quality too, how does the carbon wear compared to a aluminum chassis? they should make carbon skid plates for my rc8?

skid plates eliminate the possibility of chassy wear...and replacable droop tabs make maintenance a breeze....robert has talked about doing other chassy's...but they have over 2 years of R&D into the losi's.....so expect a little wait...unless he's been workin on it this whole time and never told anyone....if losi's 8-T 2.0 doesen't appeal to me that much im goin this route for sure.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
if you only had a clue.
I thought of a better way to put it, If you were to land with the same force as it would take to bend your aluminum chassis you would snap the carbon fiber chassis

I tryed
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
I thought of a better way to put it, If you were to land with the same force as it would take to bend your aluminum chassis you would snap the carbon fiber chassis

I tryed

no comment
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Carbon Chassis

pinnky2252s- I'd like to know where you get your information from. As the manufacturer of said chassis I have no knowledge of any chassis snapping in half or breaking. We are still running the very first prototypes that don't even have the replaceable skid plates and droop plates.

You say you tried, do you have one pm me the chassis number that you have, each chassis has a specific id number so we can track the batch's if there are any problems.
rb42matrix@gmail.com
Matrix Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
Tech Lord

i knew he was FULL of it.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
Tech Elite

[quote=Integra;5231524] i knew he was FULL of it.[/quote
is this what you do? just come on the forums to make fun of others? your cool!