R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default ATTN: Experienced Drivers.

How hard is it to drive on a track? I've never drove on one, but I would like too.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

It's not that hard at all. As long as you can drive within a certain distance (ex: a lane) and you don't have to take the jumps right away you can just roll them until you confidence comes up.
Take it slow and easy have some patience and you'll get it.
My advantage is that since I have a motocross background I just got for the jumps and don't care if the car breaks since if the car crashes it breaks and not me. lol
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
My advantage is that since I have a motocross background I just got for the jumps and don't care if the car breaks since if the car crashes it breaks and not me. lol
HA HA so true.......

i just started not long ago. Ive been racing every weekend since September 20th(i started racin on my 19th bday that how i know) anyways..... i was in the same boat as you. the best advice i can give you is at first, RACE YOUR OWN RACE. once you get more experienced it may change but when you first start nothin more will get u into trouble faster then to try 2 race the other racers and keep to there faster pace, it wont work. hope this helps
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Tech Master

Driving on a track is just as easy as in a open lot.The hard part comes when you gotta make the same turn the same way starting at the same place every lap. On a open field where you start ,finish & how you go through a turn is exactly what you meant to do because theres no boarders(track pipe)to go outside of so you cant do it wrong. It may be a little nerve wracking at first but muscle memory will take over after you've driven the track enough laps & get you to a close enough style. When that happens then you can work on refining your style to make it perfect every(mostly) time.

This is your fair warning one you spend time on a track a open field looses a lot of its fun & gets boring fast.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Tech Adept

to be honest the best way to get decent is to go to a track with some turn marshalls so your not running up and down the driver stand all day or take a little brother or something and buy him a soda my little brother was all over it just a chance to hang out with big brother...

and just like they said take it slow worry about getting around the track befor you worry about being the fastest person
ruggydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Suspended

It's not that hard.... just damn challenging & fun to try keeping within the lane & go as fast as you can around the whole track - consistently.

Expect your first few tries to be banging left & right of the lane dividers & then overshooting the corners everytime.

That's how the challenge & fun come in, compared to bashing aimlessly all over an open space which you will get sick of in no time.
TonyNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Tech Adept

one more tip if you see somone flip in the corner of your eye dont look that was the biggest mistake i made id look over and all of a sudden my car is all wadded up somwhere or stuck on track line its best to ALWAYS keep your eye on YOUR car. the same goes for rc planes trust me i know lmao
ruggydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

driving the track comes naturally to some and overtime to others...but the basics are get a feel for both your car and the track..once you are confident then try to pick up the pace a little. also once you've gotten pretty good then setting up your car will come into play...but don't be scared just go to the track run your race..don't try to go to fast..and the rest you'll pick up from there

yea another thing is be aware of your surroundings and your car again something you will pick up once you get comfortable driving around a track. after a few days you should be pretty well settled in.. and if you've driven before it might come to you by days end.

most of all good luck and have fun if nothing else
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Sweet. Thanks for all of the tips guys. I'm only driving a Traxxas Revo right now, I want to get a buggy, or a truggy. I still want to take the Revo to the track though. I hope I get too. I think it would be fun.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

yea those trucks are pretty fun one my friends/teammates had one that was unbeatable at our local track in mt class...
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I might also suggest running on a smaller track. Learning on the 1/10 scale track with an electric truck like the RC10T or Losi RC2 helps a lot, once you master that going to 1/8 scale nitro will be a breeze. Running a smaller under powered car will teach a lot about corner speed, if you just learn on a fast car odds are you'll learn to take it easy in the corners and make up time in the straights.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just get out there and go for it. You can practice for a few weeks, watch a few club races, then dive in. I know guys who have been racing for years and still get butterflies in their stomach. It will be second nature in no time.
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvx400Rider View Post
How hard is it to drive on a track? I've never drove on one, but I would like too.
Although the throttle control is completely different between electric and nitro classes you can benefit from starting in electric 2wd 1/10 scale! (preferably Truck class, the wider and longer wheel base will provide a more stable platform to beginning your training)

Electric Throttle Response
You will have to learn a much smoother on-power throttle response, as the throttle is controlled electronically through an ESC (Electronic Speed Control) The power transfer to the wheel is instance so the smoother the response the easier it is to keep the 2wd in a forward motion without losing traction. 2wd electric offroad would force you to learn how to get the most from your power supply and apply it to the track, which as a result will increase your ability to adapt to different track surfaces and conditions!

Mechanical Throttle Response (carburetor)
As for nitro, the throttle response is more aggressive for cleaning out the carb's fuel build up (burping) and to engage the clutch which is controlled by one or more servos and mechanical linkages... but once the car moving the theory of "smooth" on-power which you learn in 2wd electric racing can be applied here!

As for the Best results within your Driver's Training. I would have to say try to find an indoor carpet setup somewhere, some facilities may offer both onroad and offroad layouts. This is where you can perfect your driving skills the most!! Very high speeds with the carpet traction and very narrow lanes. R/C - BOOTCAMP!! lol
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

All of these are good suggestions...

You could also do what some of the guys at our track do.....Pull the throttle wide open and bounce of the pipes. A couple manage to do this half way well. I am just glad I am not in the class with them.

One thing I would suggest is to drive your car like it is going to break. This mindset help me to get very smooth and clean. Plus, I have only broke 1 time in a race and what happened was beyond my control.

Hope this helps
Old 12-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Keep in mind that while driving on a track is extremely easy, winning a race on a track is allot more difficult. I would advise you do not enter a race until you have had a couple of gallons of practice. You need to learn the lanes, which way to hit the turns and the jumps, figure out how your car responds, see if you are faster with on-power or off power steering, etc, etc. Also set-ups, and tires make a huge difference, so find out what works best. Then you have the fact that during practice there will be allot less cars on the track. Other cars create obstacles, and other drivers will crash and get in your way so you need to drive around them, or avoid them sometimes. I practiced on a track for a year, before I ever entered my first rack, and I sucked so bad during my first race, it looked like I had never driven an RC car before. The difference is HUGE! There is no nervousness with practice, you are not pushing yourself to beat other racers, you dont have to avoid the 12 other cars on the track. There are many things that come into play during an actual race that are absent during practice