R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default LRP spec 3 vs. Picco p3 28

I am about to get a new engine for my Losi Muggy. I have looked at many engines (STS, axial, LRP, Picco, etc...). I have narrowed it down to these two because they are supposed to be the best performence. I have not talked to a lot of people that have experience with these engines so it has been hard for me to find a good answer. If you could help me out that would be great.

Thank you in advanced.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCA4&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYU8&P=ML
Pedebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I've had em both. The LRP will rev higher and might be a bit faster. Keep a close eye on the conrod. The Picco will last you longer and has BALLZ on the bottom. Both are pretty much a lightswitch for a powerband but very fun. The picco loves the JP-3 but boy does it drink fuel!

I would gladly own either again. You may want too consider the Jammin JPX 28 instead. Basically identical to the Picco.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I heard the two best pipes for the picco were the JP-3 and the 086. Both are supposed to make it scream.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Never tried an 086 on the picco but if it works well that would be the way. Dynamite 086 is a steal. I love it on pretty much everything I've run.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There are many factors which will affect how each of these engines will run.... However if each of these motors are setup to their maximum potential the pullstart Picco will have a significant power and RPM advantage over the pullstart LRP..... Now if your using them in a Truggy I suggest you look into the Truggy versions of these engines and use a bump box... the bump Picco's have a turbo head and higher timing then the Pullstart motors and will make even more RPM and power.. When you start talking JPX 28 or P3 28 FTT vs the LRP engines there is going to be a massive difference in RPM and power in favor of the Picco's... of course providing the Picco's are tuned and setup correctly....Pipe selection can make a world of difference on the Picco's with my two favorites being the 086 and MSR 1005....... The LRP will compete better with the pullstart version of the Picco's but its no match for the turbo head Truggy versions, they are truly in a different class of engines IMO....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thank you very much for that comment. I saw those and wasn't sure if it would make that big of a difference. Maybe thats the way to go...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

either P3-28 version no question. LRP is an ok motor but the Picco will beat it down in every department except fuel milage and a nice port job will take care of that
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Thank you very much. I will be e-mailing picco to see if I can get some spec differences between the truggy version and normal version...
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
either P3-28 version no question. LRP is an ok motor but the Picco will beat it down in every department except fuel milage and a nice port job will take care of that

a long time ago you said you might wanna try modding a gotech ...did you ever mess with any of them ......?.....

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I have done multiple Go Techs since that conversation and all have been great running engines. Still waiting for one guy to tell me if he likes the 5 port or the 7 port better but since I haven't heard from him yet, I'm sure he hasn't noticed much difference in performance after the race port on both engines which I figured he wouldn't since they are based off the same platform.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
I have done multiple Go Techs since that conversation and all have been great running engines. Still waiting for one guy to tell me if he likes the 5 port or the 7 port better but since I haven't heard from him yet, I'm sure he hasn't noticed much difference in performance after the race port on both engines which I figured he wouldn't since they are based off the same platform.

may not matter because of the mods ...but the 7 was always way smoother than the 5 just out of the box...always liked the 7 in buggy ......cool deal ...glad you had good luck with em ...ive liked all mine........

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedebeater View Post
Thank you very much. I will be e-mailing picco to see if I can get some spec differences between the truggy version and normal version...
No need to e-mail the maufac. Their specs won't mean much, actaully nothing at all.

Go with what Maximo said. His breakdown/comparison is dead on.

I thought I had the overlay of stock versus modded P3 but can't seem to put my mouse on it. In stock form the engine puts out 2.00HP @24,600rpm 74oz.in. @26K rpm. Plenty engine for $189 bucks.

Here is one of the first AB modded versions. His new stage(2) makes a whopping 2.4HP@ 29,500 rpm 85.oz.in. @29K rpm. A beast from bottom to top and is plenty rev happy at nealry 30k rpm for a .28.

OutlawIGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote