R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Driving in the snow

I live in wisconsin and i own a nitro rustler. now this past month, (december) we got dumped with 18 inches and we are supposed to get 12 more tonite. Has any one out there every thought of taking their rear tires off and putting small screws through the tires, so that they act like studs on a snowmobile?

I think this year i will buy a pair of new tires, rims, and foam and try it out, and just keep this pair for winter.

Also, does anybody out there have any parts for my rusty? I am also looking for a monster truck(nitro). Something like a 4wd that sits 2-4 inches off the ground.

Thanx
colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Get some thin chain and make tire chains. Can't see the nails staying in or being very safe
Revo-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Colton,

I recommend taking a pass on the studs. I have three issues with studding truck tires .

1. They will throw your wheels WAY out of balance
2. the shortest screw you can pick up off the shelf will be too long (this relates to #3)
3. the rubber is too thin and it is not reinforced with a woven casing. The studs will tear out and get flung everywhere.

I'd suggest a tire tire like a proline Dirt Paw

chunk
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had made a set for mine a year ago and they worked ok, still unless the snow had a crush, couldn't really go anywhere, it was fun though. get some small chain at the hardware store and a pliers and have at.
Trail Bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I once saw on ebay plastic push pins with a barb for what your looking to do think there were tamia and vintage. Carpet tacks would be cool on ice but I wouldn't want to get one flung at me at 2000 RPMs. Now if you could make a set of rear belts to a set of slave wheels that would be cool. Put your rec in a baloon and do up the wires with a rubber band if your gonna get things wet.
Have some fun .... wear saftey glasses if you poke anything out of your tires please and no kids allowed anywhere near by "HOW OLD ARE YOU ANYHOW".
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

watch out for flying objects!!! LOL
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

if you can find paddle tires for your rusty they should work perfect, but beware of fast starts you have to ease into the throttle or else you will just dig a hole

Like so, are the rusty tires 2.2?

http://www.pro-lineracing.com/p-282-sand-paw.aspx

See : Fits any 2.2” truck wheel. Realistic sand paddle tread is ready to throw some sand or snow.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk t View Post
Colton,

I recommend taking a pass on the studs. I have three issues with studding truck tires .

1. They will throw your wheels WAY out of balance
2. the shortest screw you can pick up off the shelf will be too long (this relates to #3)
3. the rubber is too thin and it is not reinforced with a woven casing. The studs will tear out and get flung everywhere.

I'd suggest a tire tire like a proline Dirt Paw

chunk

1 wrong....if you place them somewhat evenly it works out just fine

2 Wrong you can use Self tapping metal screw's that are about 1/4" tall and either go from the inside or screw in from the outside.

3 WRONG....i bashed my savage with 70+ screw's in each wheel and NEVER EVER lost 1 single studs....if you do it properly you have nothing to fear.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Don't know about snow but ice was fun! Someone talked me into it years ago but I probably wouldn't do it now. Remember that all your plastic pieces will break very easily in the cold. If I had a pond in my back yard and a beater car? That might be different

I used thumb tacks and they bent and folded over on the first tank. Short upholstery tacks are the way to go! Very strong. Got mine at the hardware store like True Value or something. Just remember you have something on your hands that could get away from you and totally shred someone's feet or legs up severly. Might want to try some chains first if you just want snow action? Be careful
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1/4" sheet metal screws should work fine.. either from the inside/out, or screw them from the outside in.. they use them for ATVs and even full size cars..
NDHotbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Just make sure you choose a Luggy tire.....as the carcase of the tire will never hold a screw.....HPI floppy joe stock tires work like a charm.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

The snow melted, with some rain that we got . I had a chance to try it on a abandoned road. But all it did was veer left and right, then go straight into a snow bank. then i tried in my yard, and it was a lot more fun, We are suppossed to get more snow today,
Talk to you later.

I am also looking for Traxxas Slayer if anybody has one for sale
Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton View Post

I am also looking for Traxxas Slayer if anybody has one for sale

If anything i would save your $$ and buy an SC8 From Associated...imo its 1000X the machine and slayer's are a Joke imo....the first one i saw run i laughed....there a joke of a CORR truck.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default driving

i thought screw the 4wds i just put a pair of skis on my front end and it just floats over the snow. Thanx for the ideas

Go Big or Go Home
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton View Post
i thought screw the 4wds i just put a pair of skis on my front end and it just floats over the snow. Thanx for the ideas
You mean like this guy?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIKsv...elated&search=
I have to admit it looks like tons of fun. I would rather be blasting across the front yard with one of these last night than snowblowing my driveway and helping the neighbor try and put his mailbox back together so he could get mail the rest of the week in the 5 degree weather
I could crank up the heater in the garage and stand right there by the garage door and tear it up
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote