Wiki Posts
Search

Wheel Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default Wheel Balancing

I wanted to start balancing my buggy and truggy whells just a couple of questions?

1. what is the best balancer?

2. can u use just regular modeling clay to balance if not what is the best?

thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I use the Ultimate Racing wheel balancer and use regular modeling clay...haven't tried the clays that are labeled specifically for rc wheel balancing so I can't compare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Racing-...20105006r13208
Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jammin has also released a wheel balancer that looks very similar to the Ultimate one
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

yes you can use modeling clay.. that is what i use anyway
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by franklucas
I wanted to start balancing my buggy and truggy whells just a couple of questions?

1. what is the best balancer?

2. can u use just regular modeling clay to balance if not what is the best?

thanks
Yes you can use normal modeling clay. Just make sure you buy NON HARDENING modeling clay or it will harden and fall right out.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am by no means being critical of wheel balancing... I am new to the off-road buggy and truggy scene. I was previously racing touring cars.

Does balancing the wheels make a noticeable difference?

Do you notice a specific characteristic associated with un-balanced wheels?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Balancer I use

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idProduct=1029

I dont know if its the best but it is about the most free spinning precise you can get & is what most the people I know use . I got mine for $15 on sale at hobby people many years ago & havent been able to kill it yet. Those new style single sided ones do look easier to use just a lot more expensive & not sure how presice/free spinning the bearings they use are.I may try one if I ever have that much money to spend though. I use a old hub & wheel nut from my jammin stash to mount the whee. on the balance shaft.

For puddy I use a product from the home depot electrical section called Duct seal.Its ment for sealing around where elec conduit goes through a brick wall.This stuff sticks like crazy & is heavy so a little bit will do what 3X the modle clay will cant do.comes in a brick like 6"x2"x1". Thats a lifetimes worth & sells for like $2.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Wheel balancing makes a huge difference in car handling especially for truggy. As for characteristics,Have you seen a car on the starter box look like its gonna come off when reving the eng to warm up or a truggy look like its gonna shake its self apart on a straigh or look like its having convultions in the air? Thats what balancing stops.I even balance buggy wheels now & going through a sweeper turn you can not onl feel a difference but you can see it from 40' away on the stand. Just pay attention next time at the track & you'll be able to spot the wheels that are balanced from the ones that are not. Unless their using AKA combose as those are so balanced you dont need to do them. I havent used AKA truggy tires yet but my buggy ones have about a 1/2 gallon on them & still dont shake on the starter box. Balancing gives a HUGE ADVANTAGE for the price & effort.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

www.machinesrchobbies.com has a really nice one that he makes.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

AKA's Still require balancing.......they are alot truer then most tires...but by no means are 100% purfect...for zero off wheels you can use putty...but 1/2 off wheels you HAVE to use the tape....if you dont your not helping the balancing situation what so ever.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
AKA's Still require balancing.......they are alot truer then most tires...but by no means are 100% purfect...for zero off wheels you can use putty...but 1/2 off wheels you HAVE to use the tape....if you dont your not helping the balancing situation what so ever.
Why is that? I have always used clay to ballance my 1/2 offsets.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The HUDY balancer is the sh**!!! It also gives you the option to balance diferent size wheels... 1/10 hex style, 1/8, 1/5 ect.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Why is that? I have always used clay to ballance my 1/2 offsets.

where's the center line of the tire on a 1/2 off wheel....right in the center.....IE you go stuffing clay off center isnt helping the issue......tape you can apply in layer's if needed and also can be placed where the weight is needed...clay just wont cut it......zero off wheels...Sure...thats where the clay comes in handy.....i still use the tape....but thats a personal prefference....and i go as far as to balance the rims on a magnetic balancer prior to mouting the tires aswell....Im anal to say the least.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

I also use a Dubro Prop/Wheel balancer and lead tape. Balancing my wheels especially the wheels for my truggy, has made a huge diffeence in handling and reduced vibration.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butch man
Balancer I use

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idProduct=1029

I dont know if its the best but it is about the most free spinning precise you can get & is what most the people I know use . I got mine for $15 on sale at hobby people many years ago & havent been able to kill it yet. Those new style single sided ones do look easier to use just a lot more expensive & not sure how presice/free spinning the bearings they use are.I may try one if I ever have that much money to spend though. I use a old hub & wheel nut from my jammin stash to mount the whee. on the balance shaft.

For puddy I use a product from the home depot electrical section called Duct seal.Its ment for sealing around where elec conduit goes through a brick wall.This stuff sticks like crazy & is heavy so a little bit will do what 3X the modle clay will cant do.comes in a brick like 6"x2"x1". Thats a lifetimes worth & sells for like $2.
+1 on this balancer and the need to balance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.