R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   have a question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/257723-have-question.html)

ShootinBlanks 12-03-2008 05:55 PM

have a question

when i'm watching truggys race...some of the truggy's look like they are struggling to go fast and the motor is screaming, but then other truggys just fly...what causes this? is it a bigger engine or? different gearing? or what causes this?....thanks for sheading any light on the subject so i can understand whats going on so when i start racing, im not the guy struggling to get the speed.

Integra 12-03-2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShootinBlanks (Post 5124528)
when i'm watching truggys race...some of the truggy's look like they are struggling to go fast and the motor is screaming, but then other truggys just fly...what causes this? is it a bigger engine or? different gearing? or what causes this?....thanks for sheading any light on the subject so i can understand whats going on so when i start racing, im not the guy struggling to get the speed.

your hearing clutching.....some guys run a High stall on the clutch and makes the motor Rev to the moon before the shoes will actually engage.....you also might be hearing the difference from a race .21 to a rtr .21 or even a .28 to .21.....there's Sooo many factors in what makes a particular car fast its hard to say for sure unless we can see a video or be there in person :nod:

Jaz240 12-03-2008 06:53 PM

There are lots of possible reasons. Most of it is driving style, and fuel conservation. Some people drive in 2 modes Wide open throttle, and stop. This is referred to driving like an On/Off switch. The more experienced racers will have a smoother trigger finger, and be able to apply the power only as needed, which will also greatly increase run times. Another reason would be engine/pipe combo's. Some people swear by >21 engines in truggies, while others want the power of the .25, or .28. With truggies being so much heavier than buggies it takes a little longer for .21 engines to get the truggies up to speed. Another reason would be people's clutch set-ups. The heavier the shoe, and the lighter the spring the quicker the bell engages, which means faster acceleration from a dead stop. There is no right and wrong way to do it, just find what works for you, but from my experiences a smoother throttle wins most the races

ShootinBlanks 12-03-2008 07:03 PM

thanks guys for the responce.....trying to put this in terms that i can handle lol trying to learn everything is giving me a headache :weird: hehe

Jaz240 12-03-2008 07:18 PM

The most important thing to learn is how to get around the track without crashing! It don't matter if it takes you 30 seconds or 60 seconds. If you don't crash I can almost promise top 3 finishes every race