Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Any reason to stay away from HPI Trophy ? >

Any reason to stay away from HPI Trophy ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any reason to stay away from HPI Trophy ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Any reason to stay away from HPI Trophy ?

First of all hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

My friend and I are considering purchasing a couple of Trophys, a buggy I believe is a rebranded version of the HB Lightning 2 sport.

We are not going to do races, just bash around and race each other.

The reasons we are looking at the Trophy, are first of all that come at a great price, second that they are based on the Lightning which I believe are recognized as a good durable buggy for beginners like us.

I understand many RC addicts advice against HPI, my only experience with them comes from my Nitro Rush, a truck which I have only been pleased with.

There are other options at the same price range, we could for instance get Kyosho Inferno 7,5 sport III, Thunder Tiger EB4S2 PRO RTR or Caster Racing ZX-1 RTR.

So what do you guys say, would you advice us to stay away from the Trophy ?

Thanks ...
/Brian
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

I can't tell you anything about the HPI, but I would think the Hyper 7 TQ would be worth a look. They can be had for around $300, are very durable and handles well. In 2004 it was the top notch buggy! Based on seeing them at the track I race at they look alot more beefy than the HPI
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Revo-daddy

Thanks for your response.

The Hyber 7 TQ is a bit more expensive than the Trophy. It is however close enough that we will consider it.

Thanks ...
/Brian
Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am partial to Caster Racing, for more information on them check out the Forums at CasterRacingusa.com. I am not here to downtalk any brands, especially when I don't have experience with them. I just know the quality and craftsmanship in the Caster line these days. With any RTR servos tires electronics and motors will eventually need to be replaced. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Euro Stealth

We will definately look into the Caster Racing buggy.

The one we are currently looking at are the ZX-1, which are currently similarly priced as the Trophy in Denmark, I haven't seen the ZX-1R in any Danish shop.

Not sure how much of a difference the R does, I will browse the forum you mentioned and see if I can find the answer to this.

Thanks ...
/Brian
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Welcome man, also check out Answer-RC they are on the Caster forums. I know the ZX1-R Pro kit comes with Big Bores, but I am not sure about the RTR. Also if you want to check out CasterRacing.com, without the USA, but we have the forums on the USA site. Best of luck in your decision, if you need anythign I am (Soled.Out) on the forums.

-Brandon
Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Rookie

I want to post an update to this post.

My friend and I bought a pair of trophys and we have had a lot of fun with them.

Overall I am very satisfied with the quality of the kit, when taking the price into account.

There is only a few minor issues that can easily be corrected.

- Bolt on steering servo is too short and needs to be replaced with a longer one, in order to reach the nylon "lock"
- Foam in tires is not very form stable and not to resistant to large amounts of water
- Small rocks tend to get jammed in the wheel spokes

All in all, the buggy seems rugged, well built and runs very well.

Replacing the bolt on the steering servo is a must, we experienced both of the buggys dropping the bolt on the first hard run.

Replacing the foam can easily be done, as can changing the wheels to a set of disc wheels.

At the great price it comes at, I would buy one again if I lost the one I have.

/Brian