Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
MBX5T  VS.  ST-RR >

MBX5T VS. ST-RR

MBX5T VS. ST-RR

Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default MBX5T VS. ST-RR

I have been a mugen guy since the mbx5 and had a 5t at one time. I don't see the results with the mugen like i do the kyosho or xray or rc8t, what are some of your thoughts on this, are the other trucks that much better, just better team drivers, I have a good deal on both the mugen and the kyosho, just your thoughts.

jlo
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

I'm sad to say this (being an mbx5t owner) but, the other truggys are better than the 5t. If you wanna get something new right now get the st-rr. I like the losi but, I just don't think that the durability is there. I don't mean that it breaks easy, the plastics just wear out quickly.
I would just wait for the new MBX6T.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The 5T is almost indestructable, and the best beginner truggy by far.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i personally have the jammin x2crt, i raced my friends mbx5t a few weekends ago when i broke my buggy, it was pretty good even though its a little outdated my lap times were similar to the ones i have with my jammin x2 just pushed a little more then the x2, the strr is a good truck the jammin x2 is pretty much a copy of the strr, the only thing i have heard bad about the strr is the diff cases and pinions, they have to be shimmed all the time or they have issue's, but its a great handling truck
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

for me the 5t you got be a defensive driver! and it made the truck slower for me because you never knew if the ass was going to follow or go way out sideways

the losi decent but you need to drive way diff to be fast with and it wares out fasttt.

imo the strr is the best truck out jumps great. turns great. and holds up well and you can just flat out wheel it hard i love the truck
Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by porkchop
for me the 5t you got be a defensive driver! and it made the truck slower for me because you never knew if the ass was going to follow or go way out sideways

the losi decent but you need to drive way diff to be fast with and it wares out fasttt.

imo the strr is the best truck out jumps great. turns great. and holds up well and you can just flat out wheel it hard i love the truck
+1
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

what is the deal with the kyosho diffs, the person who i may get this from only had diff issues, thats why he is getting away from it, he has a great deal on a slightly used truck with a ton of parts. don't want to be fighting the truck.

jlo
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

You just have to make sure that the pinion and diff ring are meshing properly.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

from what i have been told you have to adjust it almost every race weekend, or it will get to much play and grind up the gears, i am running the mp9 i havent really seen that issue on the buggy yet, hoping that it dosent have a similar issue
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

There are no diff problems with the ST-RR they are as solid as any truck out at the moment, also you only need to re shim if you were incompetent in the first place,

now thats got everyones back up i'll expand.... the diffs on the ST-RR are chromoly this is the hardest material presently available so they won't wear out ,what is important when you build the diffs is shimming, if done right you won't have to touch the diffs again for the whole season....most important and isn't mentioned in the instructions is no for and aft movement on the pinion this is achieved by pinching the pinion and universal and then doing up the grub screw ,clamping the pinion bearings .
next is put shims on your outdrives and swap them until the pinion is just touching the crown and there is no side to side play but not tight either, fit the other half of the diff case and do up, when you turn the universal it should be smooth or very,very slightly notchy,this will bed in after its first use. after the first couple of tanks check side to side play on the outdrives if more than a tick add one thin shim to the gear side
and never touch them again.
the problem most people have had with these diffs is constantly adding more shims,this stretches the plastic and makes it baggy
also if you dont stop the for and aft movement, because the gears are spiral cut the cam effect will push the gears apart causing failure.

with regards the ST-RR this last year it has won loads of major titles
even choosen by the associated drivers before their factory rides were available, sponsorship didn't matter to them winning mattered and for this reason they choose the Kyosho.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

There are no diff problems with the ST-RR they are as solid as any truck out at the moment, also you only need to re shim if you were incompetent in the first place,

now thats got everyones back up i'll expand.... the diffs on the ST-RR are chromoly this is the hardest material presently available so they won't wear out ,what is important when you build the diffs is shimming if done right you won't have to touch the diffs again for the whole season....most important and isn't mentioned in the instructions is no for and aft movement on the pinion this is achieved by pinching the pinion and universal and then doing up the grub screw ,clamping the pinion bearings .
next is put shims on your outdrives and swap them until the pinion is just touching the crown and there is no side to side play but not tight either, fit the other half of the diff case and do up, when you turn the universal it should be smooth or very,very slightly notchy,this will bed in after its first use. after the first couple of tanks check side to side play on the outdrives if more than a tick add one thin shim to the gear side
and never touch them again.
the problem most people have had with these diffs is constantly adding more shims,this stretches the plastic and makes it baggy
also if you dont stop the for and aft movement, because the gears are spiral cut the cam effect will push the gears apart causing failure.

even choosen by the associated drivers before their factory rides were available, sponsorship didn't matter to them winning mattered and for this reason they choose the Kyosho.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The mbx5t is one of the best truggies i have ever driven hands down.

The best upgrade you can possible make is putting OFNA Super big bores on it. It made the truck so predictable it became very easy to drive fast.

Also, the BCE chassis is a good upgrade for both the st-rr and the mbx5t. You get better wear from the BCE chassis, and it has small changes that improve both. Either truggy you get, get the BCE chassis. Hell, the ST-RR is based off of the ST-R BCE extended chassis, which wasnt the first of BCE chassis copied by manufacturers.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by st-rman

if you are talking about Ryan M., and Ryan C. from AE running the ST-RR before the RC8T came out, they also had BCE chassis on them. The ST-RR chassis was copied from the BCE K7-X Pro chassis that was released in 2006. This last nationals, Ryan M., and Ryan C. all ran ST-RR with BCE K7-XRR Pro chassis.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
if you are talking about Ryan M., and Ryan C. from AE running the ST-RR before the RC8T came out, they also had BCE chassis on them. The ST-RR chassis was copied from the BCE K7-X Pro chassis that was released in 2006. This last nationals, Ryan M., and Ryan C. all ran ST-RR with BCE K7-XRR Pro chassis.
I don't dispute any of that ,to be honest Kyosho only bought out a longer chassis because The Mugen and the CRT was caning it in the bumpy stuff however you cant tell me that both the Ryans only won because they had BCE chassis they also ran it because the ST-RR running gear was up to the job and that was what the original post was about.

I would also like to add that in those finals Kyosho had 7 ST-RR's
Old 12-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

honestly if you are leaning towards the mugen i would wait for the mbx6t to come out, or a updated kyosho, they both have been out for a while and have new buggies, usually truggies follow not to long after the buggy