R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default KYOSHO 777 WC Vs XRAY 808 Pro's and Con's

Hello I'm thinking of purchasing one of the two above. They both look to be around the same price for a used buggy. They both look to be built very well.
I'm coming from on-road 12th scale would either of these benifit from that

I know every buggy has + and - I just wanted to know what you racers think.

Thanks for your time..........
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03 View Post
Hello I'm thinking of purchasing one of the two above. They both look to be around the same price for a used buggy. They both look to be built very well.
I'm coming from on-road 12th scale would either of these benifit from that

I know every buggy has + and - I just wanted to know what you racers think.

Thanks for your time..........
The 777 WC is about a year and a half older than the 808, and as fast as these buggies are evolving that's quite a while...

Hopefully other people jump in here, any fact or opinion I present will appear biased.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Cool

The Kyosho is a very good buggy. That platform has more world titles than any other vehicle out there.
Being a little older, it has been completely revised to a make and parts that are no longer compatible.
parts support might get hard to come by in the near future. It is durable but it follows the old standards in what makes a good running car.
The 808 will rival its stability and durability. However you will find the 808 will be much more athletic. You also wont need as much motor and the parts will be here for a long time.
If you drive 1/12 you should be a smooth driver and should have no problem with the much lighter and quicker 808.
With it being current, that is the one I would go with.
I have owned them both and the Xray is hands down a better ride.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would go with the X-ray also and I totally agree with what was stated before me.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

To say parts will be hard to come by is completely false. Kyosho still makes parts all the way back to the 7.5 cars. Just so you know.
mdrnizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i cant say anything negative about either car.. The Xray has a big following here.. i can say that the 777WC is now replaced with the new lighter, faster, MP9. I currently drive the MP9, and coming from the 777, its way better. I know the 808 is Xrays newest platform, and with updates to their previous XB8, im sure its gotta be good. Better, cant say as i have never driven the 808.\

I know the 777 does not have the new Big Bore shocks, unless the one your getting has those upgrades.. The 777 is a great platform, and competative, i think it was heavy compared to other cars in its time. The 777 is just about 2 years older than the 808 as far as updates, and stuff go.
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Tech Addict

The 808 is a newer, lighter, and a much more nimble platform than the 777. So If your looking for something to race competitively its the Xray. Its also strong as nails, so it should get you through the learning curve no problem. Basically, the Xray is one of the most hi-tech buggy's ever designed, and that design shows through in its performance. Xray uses the best materials in the RC industry giving the 808 killer durability, and longevity.

+3 on the Xray.

CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I picked the Mugen over the Xray for one reason. Parts. I have more access to parts locally and I find them more accessible on-line as well. Can't go wrong w/ the Mugen, Xray, or Kyosho.
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I currently have a 777WC with big bores and i really like it. It is stable, durable, and easy enough to work on. The materials are high quality and the drivetrain is solid as a rock. It is still a competitive buggy as far as club or local racing is concerned. It is heavy compared to an 808 or any other newly designed buggy, but that can be changed with some aftermarket parts. Parts are easy to come by and compared to XRAY are slightly less expensive, even though Kyosho is known for pricey parts. The 808 is a great car also. A good friend races one and he has had ZERO mechanical failures in 5 gallons of racing. Working on the 808 is easy as pie and the plastic, aluminum, and steel are high quality. It responds very well to chassis adjustments. The downfall to XRAY is cost of parts. A set of XRAY aluminum clutch shoes cost about $25 and that was before the recent rise in XRAY parts cost. The two cars perform very different on the track. The Kyosho has a stable, heavy feel with lots of steering and good forward bite. It jumps and lands very well but like stated before feels heavy. You really have to stomp it to make large jumps right out of coners. The 808 is nimble and light feeling with lots of steering and more foward bite. It jumps and lands better than the Kyosho. The 808 changes directions like a cat with a pitbull on its tail but can bite you in rough corners with its tendancy to traction roll. These opinions are based on my first hand experience with both cars.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I can say this from 1st hand experience. I couple months a go it was late oct. I watched a 777 WC walk the dog on everybody the entire race weekend. It beat everything from MP9's, 808's, MBX6's, losi 1.0's, HBD8's and everything you can think of including me. I'd say age don't have much to do with nothing just who's driving it. It's not like it weighs 4 pounds more than the newer cars. As a fact some guys drive better with heavier cars and those quick nimble cars its just ugly to watch if the driver isn't light handed. Pick the one that most suits your style and skill. As a fact late model buggys are alive and well and doing just fine. Not everyone ran out and bought new buggys actually not that many people did. There are way more late models than new models at any track you go to. No manufacter reinvented the wheel. Make sure you lhs supports whatever you buy waiting on parts suck. You may have to do that anyway even if you get the xray. They had been having distribution problem thats not a swipe at them thats the truth. I think they have a new USA distributor now.

Good luck on your choices you will definately like 1/8th offroad
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Tech Adept

^^+2. I was at Carolinas RC on black friday to grab some tires and other stuff. My buddy wanted me to grab some CVD pins for his 808. Since they are a high wear part they had none in stock. The guy said it had nothing to do with the sell they were having because they havent seen an XRAY box in weeks.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I run the Kyosho 777 wc with the big bores and I love it. It handles good and jumps good. Most people areound here run the losi 8 and I really like the way the kyosho feels over the 8. I have not driven a xray but for me it is the kyosho.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWC View Post
^^+2. I was at Carolinas RC on black friday to grab some tires and other stuff. My buddy wanted me to grab some CVD pins for his 808. Since they are a high wear part they had none in stock. The guy said it had nothing to do with the sell they were having because they havent seen an XRAY box in weeks.
Haha, we have those in stock. It's up to the hobby shop to stay on top of their own stock...
Old 12-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Thanks guys

Thanks alot for your time and opinions. I got a killer deal on an 808 excellent condition roller ($275).

Looks like a strong buggy check it out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-AvA15sbc

Many Thanks.....
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

$275 Are you the police looking for you now. Cause you stole that buggy. Thats a killer deal Good Luck have fun.