R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I have to say, I bought the hooked spring remover tool to take off the header, and the pipe coupler springs and that made life lots easier for me, no more pliers and losing the spring, or putting holes in your fingers
I looked that up and it's just a thin hook. I'll try the small hook I have in my toolbox next time to see if that works any better. I have learned to hook one end then grab the other end about 1/8" away from the hook with needle nose pliers and start stretching it BEFORE I wrap it around the engine then continue on around the engine and it leaves a lot less effort to stretch the 2nd end to the hole. Just grabbing the spring and loosely coming around the engine then pulling it around a "corner" makes it unecessarily tough to do!
Thanks for the tip though !
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
Tech Regular

I'm reading the owner's manual from the Duratrax tool and it does not look like the tool is much help to me. It says the first step is to put the shoe and spring on the flywheel part way by hand. That's the hardest part of doing this for me!
The tool does the easy part.

If I take a shoe in my hand and place the spring up against it then start to line it up on the pin the nut end of the spring always ends up pointing the wrong way (clockwise?). I use an Allen wrench or something to keep the spring centered with the hole in the shoe. But once you get it part way on you have to start putting a lot of pressure on the spring to get it going around the nut the correct direction (counterclockwise) and usually that is when I end up having trouble keeping the shoe and the coiled part of the spring on the pin as I'm trying to get the spring end started around the nut and not let go of the Allen wrench. Maybe it's also the spring I used. The nut end is long enough that as I am trying to get it sprung in the counterclockwise direction the crankshaft is in the way and I have to not only try and get it to go that direction but try and lift it towards me around the crankshaft trying not to let the spring/shoe/allen wrench come off the pin! I seem to remember also that just as you are putting it on far enough to get the spring around the nut that is also just about the point where the flywheel pin finally starts to catch the shoe and the spring and that is why it's a struggle. You can't let go of anything and you are trying to twist it all and push on it at the same time. Maybe it's the flywheel nut I've got or something. Once I get some pressure on the spring and get it started all you need is a pick to lift the spring over the lip on the flywheel nut as you push the shoes the rest of the way. That's all this tool does?

I guess I'll just always struggle with it some days then

A much better tool would allow you to place the shoe and spring on the tool and twist the assembly to "pre-load" the spring then transfer the whole assembly onto the flywheel by centering the tool on the crank and sliding the shoe off the tool onto the flywheel. That's what I would want.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Its really allot easier than you read into it. I use the tool, and it works great. You need a few minutes to get the hang of it but this is how it works. You drop the shoe onto the pin and you get the pin just into the spring. Then you use the tool to stretch the spring over the clutch nut. You then just push down on the whole tool, and it seats the shoe. You may or may not still need to click the spring into the clutch nut, but it really does work great, and makes install and removal much easier. Well worth the $15
Old 12-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Its really allot easier than you read into it. I use the tool, and it works great. You need a few minutes to get the hang of it but this is how it works. You drop the shoe onto the pin and you get the pin just into the spring. Then you use the tool to stretch the spring over the clutch nut. You then just push down on the whole tool, and it seats the shoe. You may or may not still need to click the spring into the clutch nut, but it really does work great, and makes install and removal much easier. Well worth the $15
I figured as much. I was trying to think back how frustrating it is when it does not cooperate
One of those times you want 3 hands! So which tool are you using and you are telling me that the tool helps hold eveything in place and guide the spring up to the nut while holding the shoe and spring together for you? Like having an extra hand?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post
I figured as much. I was trying to think back how frustrating it is when it does not cooperate
One of those times you want 3 hands! So which tool are you using and you are telling me that the tool helps hold eveything in place and guide the spring up to the nut while holding the shoe and spring together for you? Like having an extra hand?
I found the video from Nitrohouse. It shows the tool in use. Once you get the hang of it, it's a one handed operation.

here's the link: scroll down to clutch assembly

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/ar...e8841e57112324
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
I found the video from Nitrohouse. It shows the tool in use. Once you get the hang of it, it's a one handed operation.

here's the link: scroll down to clutch assembly

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/ar...e8841e57112324
That clears it up for me. I don't need this tool. What that guy does in the video between time 2:18 and 2:22 I cannot do with one hand like he does with the clutch set I have. At that point I have the allen wrench/pick/both hands involved wishing I had a 3rd hand. I'll have to decide if it is my technique or the clutch set I am using - maybe the length of the end of the spring or whatever. There is no way that the set I had would go on that easy!
The part that the tool does is very easy to do with a pick and won't be needing the tool.
Thanks for helping. If I ever get tired of using the pick I appreciate the feedback on the tools anyway!

I really like the tip about putting the 3rd shoe on by moving the second one and putting a spacer in there to hold it out. I always need about 3 hands to do that too! Very nice...
Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The tool DOES make a differance. I raced all last season with out one and was getting pretty good with my small screw drive at taking my clutch apart and putting it back together. I bougth the duratrax tool and its much easer. Really, its around $7-$9 at the most. Try it, you then have to find a new use for those small screwdrivers that you set aside for clutch repairs.
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I use to hate doing clutch maintanice. Always would tear my fingers up trying to get the springs off and on. but the duratrax tool makes it so easy I enjoy doing maintanice now, best 8 bucks I have spent in a long time
Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've got the DT clutch tool too, way better than a little screwdriver!! 1st time I used it couldn't believe how easy the clutch tool made the job.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Ok Ok I'll go ahead and stimulate the economy and give it a try

I need a new engine next year and will be looking into a whole new clutch setup anyway so hopefully the new stuff will not be so awkward. I think I'm looking at a difficulty based on brand because that video shows the springs pointing and aligning much better than mine

Thanks again
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

haha well i hope that tool turns the economy around!!
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have a losi and werks. i use the losi alot more, but the werks one is really nice too.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
haha well i hope that tool turns the economy around!!
Make sure he buys it at Home Depot! Support jamminnay!