m00g

R
Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

7-5 in favor of mugen
Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have heard wonders about both and they mugen gets my vote way better so now 9 -5 mugen
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Mugen MBX6! just because i have one.
And my 2 nephews vote 8ight! because they have 8ights!
and my brother votes Kyosho 777 ... because he has one!
and I used to work for hobby people, so my vote is for XTM Xterminator 2
Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It all depends on your driving style, if you like a twitchy feel car go with the Xray, if you want a more laid back driver style go with the mugen.. Imo the mugen is just as strong as the xray i have had 2 mugens and i went 1 season on a set of arms they did not break jst got too slopy, a year of driving was about 10 gallons.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
Mugen MBX6! just because i have one.
And my 2 nephews vote 8ight! because they have 8ights!
and my brother votes Kyosho 777 ... because he has one!
and I used to work for hobby people, so my vote is for XTM Xterminator 2
LoL very true.
I have a losi so my vote is losi 2.0 lol
But in all seriousness you should think about
what you want,
what you can get parts for,
what some people you know are running.

Both of the cars are pretty equally awesome so that is what it really comes down to.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both are great buggies. It's like comparing a Dodge Viper to a Ford GT. Both are fast, both look good, both are expensive and both will get you laid.

Just pick one and have fun...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

CaLaBeR where did you get the idea that the 808 is twitchy? My 808 is more composed than the 6 I drove & most of the ones I watch race. 6 rear end seems to hop around a bit more than my car but I would call niether twitchy compared to say losi.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

my mbx6 is twitchy because i have my throttle and steering exponential at max. and servo transit speed of .000001 seconds , then again all of my cars are twitchy with this setting
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I raced 808 when it first came out. I just bought my MBX6 and raced it once so far. With just the one race my Mugen felt more planted than the 808. I tried a few setups on the 808 and ended up with a slightly different setup than Rocco's recommended starting setup. I used Bess' starting setup for the Mugen and it felt almost spot on for my driving style. I can't wait to log more time on the buggy so the honeymoon phase wears off and I can really see how I feel about it. So far I have no regrets!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I drove a Losi all last year the the 2 buggy are similar they both feel really light when you drive the and the both turn great but the 808 doesn't have the twitchy feeling I got with the 8ight. The Losi you really had to slow down to drive it fast were as the 808 you can push it hard and it will hold the line for you. I really think the 808 has made me faster
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
Both are great buggies. It's like comparing a Dodge Viper to a Ford GT. Both are fast, both look good, both are expensive and both will get you laid.

Just pick one and have fun...
Time to put the ol' Losi up for sale!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

This new Xray is the fastest buggy I've ever driven or raced! I've driven the MP9's, MBX6's, D8's, and I'm sorry but when it comes to consistent lap times and finishing races its the Xray. Also if you really get down to comparing features on the MBX6 vs the 808, it becomes apparent the 808 is a step up.

Just some quick thoughts on the issue....
- The 808 has all captured pins throughout the drive-train ,makes for one less set screw that could fall out in a long brutal main.
- The Xray has higher quality plastics that are always bubble free and insanely strong. I think the Xray plasctics are always consistent because they are developed and all the plastic parts are made in house.
-Mugen has been known to have inconsistent plastics and air bubbles in the arm, creating weak spots. I know from inspecting broken Mugen arms myself, though I'm sure not all Mugen plastics have this problem. However it is still a concern. Once again,.. weak spots end races....
- The MBX6 has an front upper arm holder & pin issues. You will need to spend more money to fix this issue.
- The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with.

I wont mention handling comparison because thats all a matter of setup and preference. Parts unavailability is a matter of what region you race in. However, you can find tons of parts for both buggies online, so you can prepare your parts box ahead of time like most racers do.

There are many other reasons the Xray is in my opinion a better buggy, but I've already written a book so I'll stop here. LOL!

Should have run a poll, its easier.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inside_Line
This new Xray is the fastest buggy I've ever driven or raced! I've driven the MP9's, MBX6's, D8's, and I'm sorry but when it comes to consistent lap times and finishing races its the Xray. Also if you really get down to comparing features on the MBX6 vs the 808, it becomes apparent the 808 is a step up.

Just some quick thoughts on the issue....
- The 808 has all captured pins throughout the drive-train ,makes for one less set screw that could fall out in a long brutal main.
- The Xray has higher quality plastics that are always bubble free and insanely strong. I think the Xray plasctics are always consistent because they are developed and all the plastic parts are made in house.
-Mugen has been known to have inconsistent plastics and air bubbles in the arm, creating weak spots. I know from inspecting broken Mugen arms myself, though I'm sure not all Mugen plastics have this problem. However it is still a concern. Once again,.. weak spots end races....
- The MBX6 has an front upper arm holder & pin issues. You will need to spend more money to fix this issue.
- The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with.

I wont mention handling comparison because thats all a matter of setup and preference. Parts unavailability is a matter of what region you race in. However, you can find tons of parts for both buggies online, so you can prepare your parts box ahead of time like most racers do.

There are many other reasons the Xray is in my opinion a better buggy, but I've already written a book so I'll stop here. LOL!

Should have run a poll, its easier.

If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. lolol
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My vote goes for the Mugen.

Not sure how it needs a bunch of "upgrades"

You could argue that it needs the aluminum upper hinge pin holder, but that's about it. The revised lower arms are an issue, but it looks like they're being included with kits. Not everyone's ackerman linkage fastener is going to hit, mine doesn't, I think it will depend on your suspension setup.

My opinion is that it's plenty durable, I've seen several of them pounded continuously without any breakage. Mine has been durable but I only have one race on it, but a friend of mine has beat his pretty hard with some nasty crashes with no breakage.

I say it comes down to whichever one you can get parts for easier and cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.