R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside_Line View Post
[...]

- The MBX6 has an front upper arm holder & pin issues. You will need to spend more money to fix this issue.
- The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with.

[...]
These issues have been adressed in the latest kits! Nice move - no option parts needed. Not sure if there will be a service pack for those early adopters, like AE did...
triplesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. lolol
LOL!

Well at least the Mugen looks like an Xray going around the track,.... thats good right!

CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

both are good choices, i think the xray would be more forgiving as far as the handling goes, i have driven both the xray was a little easier to drive harder, the mugen is a little twitchier, i found the mugen to be really good on bluegroove surfaces, wasnt as stable when the track was loose for me
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

"The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with."

Thats B.S. I logged 8 hours on my mbx6 in one day and my diffs never locked up. All I went through was a clutch and 2 gallons of fuel and some tires. These This or that car threads have become pointless! Find people at the track that will let you test their car and decide for yourself. Nowadays we have several good buggy options that we are presented with. Just about every manufacture has a buggy capable in the right hands of being top dog. What it really comes down to is what is easiest for YOU to drive. I have several races on my 6 without one dnf. Another guy I race with broke his twice in one day. Had it been a Losi or an Xray it more than likely would have broken too.
Darin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Agreed, it's total BS. That guy sounds like a shill for xray anyhow.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #36
Tech Regular

+1

run mine through some shite conditions pics are on here and never had a prob neither have i broken any parts

people dont need to slate other cars no need for it and these threads are F'ing pointless as well totally agree with Darin z just pick a car thats easy for you to drive a thread wont answer that for you
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Z View Post
"The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with."

Thats B.S. I logged 8 hours on my mbx6 in one day and my diffs never locked up. All I went through was a clutch and 2 gallons of fuel and some tires. These This or that car threads have become pointless! Find people at the track that will let you test their car and decide for yourself. Nowadays we have several good buggy options that we are presented with. Just about every manufacture has a buggy capable in the right hands of being top dog. What it really comes down to is what is easiest for YOU to drive. I have several races on my 6 without one dnf. Another guy I race with broke his twice in one day. Had it been a Losi or an Xray it more than likely would have broken too.
8 hours of drive time..... in one day.... LOL! I was just stating known issues with the new Mugen, and I also stated the one issue with the Xray. Why would Mugen fix the issues I'm talking about if they weren't an issue in the first place? Why would anyone tell him to buy a buggy that is being updated as we speak? What,.. so he can buy the buggy then go buy the parts that are coming in new kits in a few weeks for free.

The Mugen is s good buggy, but I would wait until certain problems are revised to pick up that kit. Thats all I'm saying...

Here is the pic of what a grease groove normally looks like on an out drive, and what will look like on the new revised mugen out drives. I'm really not that full of it guys,... you can talk smack but thats not helping anyone choose a ride.

MBX6 out-drive with no grease grove, next to an used Xray out-drive with a groove. While its minor looking this is very important for proper operation, and IMO a major over site by Mugen. Like I said, I was on the stand when this struck the guy next to me and he went out. With metal to metal at such a high rpm, that little grease groove is a life saver when things start to heat up. Say what you will....
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
Tech Regular

If it happens to me ill eat my words and ill admit it, what your saying does make sense car crazy not disputing that, and it has been addressed in new kits so they obviously believe it to be of concern

i was fortunate enough to drive both the 808 and the mbx6 and i chose the mbx6 because

its bullet proof (for me anyhow not broken anything!!)
easy to drive
i love mugen cars
im a lot quicker with it than any other car

i get annoyed with these threads when fanboys jump on saying the car i own is the greatest in the world and any other car is turd!! doesnt help anyone in fact all these threads do is create frustration and anger
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
8 hours of drive time..... in one day.... LOL! I was just stating known issues with the new Mugen, and I also stated the one issue with the Xray. Why would Mugen fix the issues I'm talking about if they weren't an issue in the first place? Why would anyone tell him to buy a buggy that is being updated as we speak? What,.. so he can buy the buggy then go buy the parts that are coming in new kits in a few weeks for free.

The Mugen is s good buggy, but I would wait until certain problems are revised to pick up that kit. Thats all I'm saying...

Here is the pic of what a grease groove normally looks like on an out drive, and what will look like on the new revised mugen out drives. I'm really not that full of it guys,... you can talk smack but thats not helping anyone choose a ride.

MBX6 out-drive with no grease grove, next to an used Xray out-drive with a groove. While its minor looking this is very important for proper operation, and IMO a major over site by Mugen. Like I said, I was on the stand when this struck the guy next to me and he went out. With metal to metal at such a high rpm, that little grease groove is a life saver when things start to heat up. Say what you will....
I know your not full of it CarCrazy, I was only calling BS on your 15 to 20 min statement really.I don't generally talk smack and I apologize.
I understand what your saying about the groove not being there, in addition to the groove the new one is also drilled. From what I have experienced, "Not having any issues" the groove doesn't need to be there however from a mechanical point of view it would seem to help, I agree. And yes, 8 hours, since I'm not a pro I need all the practice I can and I was determined to drop a half second off my lap times.
Darin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:41 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Mugen MBX6.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Z View Post
I know your not full of it CarCrazy, I was only calling BS on your 15 to 20 min statement really.I don't generally talk smack and I apologize.
I understand what your saying about the groove not being there, in addition to the groove the new one is also drilled. From what I have experienced, "Not having any issues" the groove doesn't need to be there however from a mechanical point of view it would seem to help, I agree. And yes, 8 hours, since I'm not a pro I need all the practice I can and I was determined to drop a half second off my lap times.
Hey no biggy...
I should have stated it as..... I was standing next to a guy who walked off the stand 18 minutes into a 25 minute main, purely because of this issue. He might have run 2 eight hour days before that who knows, but it only took 18 minutes to get hot enough to lock up that time. Unfortunatley, this was in our Pro A main, and he was ahead of me in 3rd. His mechanical misfortune handed me a podium that night. Thats the reason I'm for Xray, the buggy itself yields good result, even when I'm not on par with the top racers on any given night. It never breaks down... Period!

Hey practice makes perfect... keep it up!