R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered User
 
UltegraSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,171
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

m00g

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ippy QLD
Posts: 109
Default

7-5 in favor of mugen
cm27456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 70
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i have heard wonders about both and they mugen gets my vote way better so now 9 -5 mugen
__________________
Famous people walk on red carpets cause they are famous. I walk on toilet paper cause i am the shizz


Losi 22 buggy (stock and mod) and Losi eight 2.0 gas buggy
theyounggun12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 419
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Mugen MBX6! just because i have one.
And my 2 nephews vote 8ight! because they have 8ights!
and my brother votes Kyosho 777 ... because he has one!
and I used to work for hobby people, so my vote is for XTM Xterminator 2
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
CaLaBeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 290
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

It all depends on your driving style, if you like a twitchy feel car go with the Xray, if you want a more laid back driver style go with the mugen.. Imo the mugen is just as strong as the xray i have had 2 mugens and i went 1 season on a set of arms they did not break jst got too slopy, a year of driving was about 10 gallons.
CaLaBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phixd View Post
Mugen MBX6! just because i have one.
And my 2 nephews vote 8ight! because they have 8ights!
and my brother votes Kyosho 777 ... because he has one!
and I used to work for hobby people, so my vote is for XTM Xterminator 2
LoL very true.
I have a losi so my vote is losi 2.0 lol
But in all seriousness you should think about
what you want,
what you can get parts for,
what some people you know are running.

Both of the cars are pretty equally awesome so that is what it really comes down to.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Tech Addict
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Both are great buggies. It's like comparing a Dodge Viper to a Ford GT. Both are fast, both look good, both are expensive and both will get you laid.

Just pick one and have fun...
__________________
"CVR" Central Valley Raceway (Madera, CA)
Team "WTF" Racing member
TEAM BCE (Product/Field Tester)

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

CaLaBeR where did you get the idea that the 808 is twitchy? My 808 is more composed than the 6 I drove & most of the ones I watch race. 6 rear end seems to hop around a bit more than my car but I would call niether twitchy compared to say losi.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #24
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 419
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

my mbx6 is twitchy because i have my throttle and steering exponential at max. and servo transit speed of .000001 seconds , then again all of my cars are twitchy with this setting
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #25
Tech Addict
 
pumpkinfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Schwenksville, PA
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I raced 808 when it first came out. I just bought my MBX6 and raced it once so far. With just the one race my Mugen felt more planted than the 808. I tried a few setups on the 808 and ended up with a slightly different setup than Rocco's recommended starting setup. I used Bess' starting setup for the Mugen and it felt almost spot on for my driving style. I can't wait to log more time on the buggy so the honeymoon phase wears off and I can really see how I feel about it. So far I have no regrets!
__________________
Yokomo YZ-2, B-Max4 III
Kyosho RT6
Losi 22b, XX4 Worlds
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
Tech Regular
 
c baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: land o lakes fl
Posts: 411
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I drove a Losi all last year the the 2 buggy are similar they both feel really light when you drive the and the both turn great but the 808 doesn't have the twitchy feeling I got with the 8ight. The Losi you really had to slow down to drive it fast were as the 808 you can push it hard and it will hold the line for you. I really think the 808 has made me faster
__________________
USED TO BE HURRICANE RC TRACK DIRECTOR
-RC AMERICA-
-XRAY-
-ELITE PERFORMANCE-
-JCONCEPTS-
c baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #27
K_B
Tech Master
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,434
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Walters View Post
Both are great buggies. It's like comparing a Dodge Viper to a Ford GT. Both are fast, both look good, both are expensive and both will get you laid.

Just pick one and have fun...
Time to put the ol' Losi up for sale!
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 95
Default

This new Xray is the fastest buggy I've ever driven or raced! I've driven the MP9's, MBX6's, D8's, and I'm sorry but when it comes to consistent lap times and finishing races its the Xray. Also if you really get down to comparing features on the MBX6 vs the 808, it becomes apparent the 808 is a step up.

Just some quick thoughts on the issue....
- The 808 has all captured pins throughout the drive-train ,makes for one less set screw that could fall out in a long brutal main.
- The Xray has higher quality plastics that are always bubble free and insanely strong. I think the Xray plasctics are always consistent because they are developed and all the plastic parts are made in house.
-Mugen has been known to have inconsistent plastics and air bubbles in the arm, creating weak spots. I know from inspecting broken Mugen arms myself, though I'm sure not all Mugen plastics have this problem. However it is still a concern. Once again,.. weak spots end races....
- The MBX6 has an front upper arm holder & pin issues. You will need to spend more money to fix this issue.
- The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with.

I wont mention handling comparison because thats all a matter of setup and preference. Parts unavailability is a matter of what region you race in. However, you can find tons of parts for both buggies online, so you can prepare your parts box ahead of time like most racers do.

There are many other reasons the Xray is in my opinion a better buggy, but I've already written a book so I'll stop here. LOL!



Should have run a poll, its easier.
Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #29
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Texas
Posts: 1,161
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside_Line View Post
This new Xray is the fastest buggy I've ever driven or raced! I've driven the MP9's, MBX6's, D8's, and I'm sorry but when it comes to consistent lap times and finishing races its the Xray. Also if you really get down to comparing features on the MBX6 vs the 808, it becomes apparent the 808 is a step up.

Just some quick thoughts on the issue....
- The 808 has all captured pins throughout the drive-train ,makes for one less set screw that could fall out in a long brutal main.
- The Xray has higher quality plastics that are always bubble free and insanely strong. I think the Xray plasctics are always consistent because they are developed and all the plastic parts are made in house.
-Mugen has been known to have inconsistent plastics and air bubbles in the arm, creating weak spots. I know from inspecting broken Mugen arms myself, though I'm sure not all Mugen plastics have this problem. However it is still a concern. Once again,.. weak spots end races....
- The MBX6 has an front upper arm holder & pin issues. You will need to spend more money to fix this issue.
- The MBX6 diff out drives don't have a grease groove, and when they go dry they can lock up. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I hope Mugen will fix this soon as it can affect any racer running a main longer than 15-20 minutes. You could completely disassemble and re-grease each diff before races to avoid this possible issue. This outdrive problem, makes Xrays one maintenance item (center bulkhead bearings every 2-3 gallons) look easy to keep up with.

I wont mention handling comparison because thats all a matter of setup and preference. Parts unavailability is a matter of what region you race in. However, you can find tons of parts for both buggies online, so you can prepare your parts box ahead of time like most racers do.

There are many other reasons the Xray is in my opinion a better buggy, but I've already written a book so I'll stop here. LOL!



Should have run a poll, its easier.

If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. lolol
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #30
Tech Addict
 
fiveoboy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waunakee, WI
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

My vote goes for the Mugen.

Not sure how it needs a bunch of "upgrades"

You could argue that it needs the aluminum upper hinge pin holder, but that's about it. The revised lower arms are an issue, but it looks like they're being included with kits. Not everyone's ackerman linkage fastener is going to hit, mine doesn't, I think it will depend on your suspension setup.

My opinion is that it's plenty durable, I've seen several of them pounded continuously without any breakage. Mine has been durable but I only have one race on it, but a friend of mine has beat his pretty hard with some nasty crashes with no breakage.

I say it comes down to whichever one you can get parts for easier and cheaper.
__________________
Bill
JR Vibe 50, and that's it!
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grande Prairie Model Racers Association WheelNut Canadian R/C Scene 19805 06-10-2017 01:40 PM
Team Magic G4 Motorman Nitro On-Road 11759 12-09-2016 05:09 AM
I am Torn... Euro Stealth Nitro Off-Road 55 11-04-2008 03:53 PM
8ight 2.0 vs 808 vs O'Donnell jpas Nitro Off-Road 66 10-14-2008 09:31 AM
2008 SINGAPORE INVITATIONAL GP ONROAD CHALLENGE X4 Singapore R/C Racers 109 07-21-2008 04:32 AM
Mugen or XRAY?? Vegaspilot Electric Off-Road 29 07-14-2006 12:12 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:10 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net