R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   RB C6 Crank and WS7 II P/S Anyone? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/257380-rb-c6-crank-ws7-ii-p-s-anyone.html)

cbaranski 12-02-2008 07:19 AM

RB C6 Crank and WS7 II P/S Anyone?

Has anyone tried this combination as of yet? I hav a C6 BB that has a fubar p/s and have a WS7 II crank has a broken rod pin. Would there be a benifit if any? I think if the timing would be the same it would be a really sweet engine with C6 bottom end power and WS7 II top end speed. What do you all think? Is it worth a try?

Chuck

x195svt 12-02-2008 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by cbaranski (Post 5117644)
Has anyone tried this combination as of yet? I hav a C6 BB that has a fubar p/s and have a WS7 II crank has a broken rod pin. Would there be a benifit if any? I think if the timing would be the same it would be a really sweet engine with C6 bottom end power and WS7 II top end speed. What do you all think? Is it worth a try?

Chuck

I don't think that combo will work due to the C6 being a long stroke and the WS7 II being a short stroke engine.

cbaranski 12-02-2008 09:53 AM

I know id have to use the C6 block. Both sleeves measure the same. Both engines use the same rod. I think the correct head shimming would be the issue.

Chuck

x195svt 12-02-2008 10:19 AM

I would bet the timing woud be pretty far off though. I'm no expert but I would think the the ports in the WS7 sleeve would be timied for the shorter stroke .

I'm just using Amain to get the tech specs from so they could be wrong. It really would not surprise me.

cbaranski 12-02-2008 10:43 AM

I guess, i'm just going to give it a shot. could be a really mean animal:)
Chuck

diamondracing 12-02-2008 02:53 PM

The only thing that will work in a C6 case is either A C6 or C5 and ws7 is neither. You can give it a try but it won't go far.

vladconnery 12-02-2008 05:32 PM

You can interchange any of the "S" engine parts but not the "C" engine.

cbaranski 12-03-2008 03:10 AM

Well last night I put everything all together and the entire engine seems to rotate with no interferance. When the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, all the ports are fully open. Looking at the cranks side by side they both look the same, except that the C6 crank counter weight is larger and needed to use the C6 case. Only thing I think will be a problem is the port timing.

Chuck

losi8lunie 12-03-2008 04:22 AM

if you put the 2 sleeves upside down together you should be able to see where the differences in port heights are - same for crank opening if you have them. It might give you a better idea, or you could just start it and see what happens. :nod:

looking at the rb drawings the carb p/n are different so you may want to try both carbs and dont forget the head button diameter is different size for each sleeve

There was a post somewhere on this or another forum where someone had mixed and matched rb parts and reckoned it was a mean machine!!

cbaranski 12-03-2008 05:06 AM

losi8lunie,
Well if it doesn't work, i'm ok with that. I just thought i'd take the good parts I had left of each engine and make something totally different. Both engines are animals by themselves. just was thinking outside the box and see if I could make a sweet truggy engine out of 2 sweet .21's. It's like putting a chevy 400 crank in a chevy 350 block, and then you have a stroker engine. This is what I was thinking at the time.

Chuck

katjim00 12-03-2008 05:25 AM

I know where you can get a smokin deal on a C5bb ;)

cbaranski 12-03-2008 05:53 AM

Thanks, but i'm good on engines. I've got 3 C6BB's and 2 WS7 II's I was just taking the worst of each model and build 1 monster.

Chuck

x195svt 12-03-2008 07:12 AM

It sounds like there isn't much to loose so give it a try. Make sure the head clearance is right and keep us updated on how it works. I imagine you'll need more shims to get the clearance right.

I know someone who put a OS speed piston and sleeve in a RB WS7 II case and it worked out for him even though the bore and stroke was different on those two engines

CarCrazy 12-03-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by x195svt (Post 5118122)
I don't think that combo will work due to the C6 being a long stroke and the WS7 II being a short stroke engine.

He's right, timing and stroke will be very far off.

cbaranski 12-07-2008 04:16 PM

Ok, everyone here it is. I used the C6 crank and case, WS7III piston, sleeve and the rod. All RB .21's use the same rod. WS7 is a short stroke engine and the C6 is a long stroke. Everyone knows the C6 BB is a torque monster and has a great top end, and the WS7 lacks the torque and has an endless top end. Wel by combining them together i think I created an animal. I was skepticle of all your feedback, but i tried it anyway. The engine fired right up and sat an idled ate the factory carb settings. I used my RC8 as the test car and it has all the torque you would expect from a C6 and the crazy top end as well. I ran 2 consecutive tanks of fuel and never had an issue with stalling are overheating. At the stock carb settings and the correct shimming for 30% fuel, then engine ran 198-220 degrees with a Novarossi 9886 pipe and RB 198 header. More testing and tuning will come with this combination to come later as I run it more.
Just thought i'd let you all know that its a screamer.

Chuck