R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Traction Problem? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/257110-traction-problem.html)

drs92 12-01-2008 03:40 AM

Traction Problem?

HI guys some dudes are saying if I put a .28 in a Kyosho st-rr that i will have traction problems, is this true. Some poeple recomended a .28 and said nothing untill when im about to make an order:(. So should i worry about this?

vladconnery 12-01-2008 04:24 AM

A .28 has more torque than a .21 but has less top end than a .21. A good race quality .21 will beat a .28 any day. Is your present engine causing wheel spin? Why put a .28 in an outstanding truggy. I can't imagine you needing any more torque maybe more top speed but torque not. More torque can easily be established through gearing. Your not going to gear up a .28 to run much faster than it can. Or atlest so it will be usualble top speed on a track. Meaning it will take it more time to reach the geared top speed. That a track more than likely won't have the room for it to reach. Gearing a .21 down will be instantly noticeable.

zixxer 12-01-2008 04:27 AM

most people are running .21's in truggies ...me included ....for the reason of fuel economy .....most .21's are more than enough to power any truggy ...and your runtimes will be longer .....a .28 may have to much power and your wheels will spin a good bit on gas and coming out of corners....not saying they wont work ...but prolly 80% would use a .21 ....if the tracks you are running have many long long straights a .28 could be a good option .....

ABURTON 12-01-2008 10:30 AM

derek, from the time you have started your post looking for the best engine I have spoken with you about getting a .21. I even pm'd you and told ya that was the choice.

I'm sure some bashers and new racers use .28's much like yourself because bigger is better;) But, those of us who have raced a season or two have told ya to get a good quality .21 even if it means saving a little longer to get a good one.

For your truck it would be best to get a GRP .21, vspec, go 5port, etc...

Good luck!

Revo-daddy 12-01-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by derek_18mt (Post 5112103)
HI guys some dudes are saying if I put a .28 in a Kyosho st-rr that i will have traction problems, is this true. Some poeple recomended a .28 and said nothing untill when im about to make an order:(. So should i worry about this?

I am in the same boat as you. The consensus is the .28 will be slower, and I've pretty much taken it as fact. That being said if your a more casual racer get what you want and have fun with it. If your looking to win races at all costs, get the .21 that all the serious racers reccomend. The question to ask is how many pro's run .28's?

As for me I picked up a V spec cheap, but my heart won't rest until I own a GRP .28. So I am going to get one of those too. I'll either just use it at big tracks, or put it in my Revo.

x195svt 12-01-2008 11:32 AM

The 28's are very torquey and on a loose track it will be very hard to control. If you have a very high traction track with short run up jumps you can probably use the power of a .28 better.

mtbkym01 12-01-2008 12:42 PM

What answer would you like. Surely between here and RCUniverse, you have recieved the answer that most suggest a few times over. Take it from me, I have a ST-RR with a .28 (After listening to guys say get a good .21), but will be changing to a .21 (GO 5 port) before next race season, as I've already metioned a couple times.

Listen to what these guys say, or just buy what you want to, and learn for yourself, As I did.