R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Which one: D8, MBX6 or 8ight 2.0

I am in the market to buy a new buggy. I am looking at the Hot Bodies D8, MBX6 and 8ight 2.0.

I would primarily be racing on an indoor track with hard packed clay.

The D8 is tempting because of the price, however I want to make sure I am getting a good buggy.

I would appreciate input on the following areas between the three: Durability, ease of maintenance, overall track performance and ease of driving.

If it helps, I would consider my driving style to be a little conservative. I try to be consistent and keep the buggy on all 4 wheels.
brianr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good question...I am considering going from truggy to buggy and narrowed it down to those same 3 choices...
bajaracer1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

well the d8 did win the worlds that was a n hour race. and with the low screw count there would be less things to fall off and such. and the money u would save hell that would get ya a nice go tech 3port r motor or any other 200 dollar motor.
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Something else to remember it also TQ'ed the manufactures cup race, and the D8 also put 4 guys into the A main at the worlds, and from what I have seen the D8 is an equal on the track to the other 2 you listed..plus all the D8's that made the A mains at the worlds were bone stock..no mods..impressive if you ask me for a buggy that's $200 less than the others.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
Something else to remember it also TQ'ed the manufactures cup race, and the D8 also put 4 guys into the A main at the worlds, and from what I have seen the D8 is an equal on the track to the other 2 you listed..plus all the D8's that made the A mains at the worlds were bone stock..no mods..impressive if you ask me for a buggy that's $200 less than the others.

uhh...hara's buggy was NOT stock.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
correct, hara's buggy was not stock, however, neither was any other car out there. It is still pretty amazing to realize that drivers such as Travis Amezcua and Ty Tessman were able to wheel bone stock D8 to the A Main.
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Tech Master

I was told by one of the HPI employe that all the non stock parts used were either sold by them now or are prototypes that will be for sale when finallized. Either way I watched 4 stock ones kick booty tonight at my track. 2 of those were much faster than my other brand car. 1 broke because I plowed him as he was sitting sideways & dead stopped partially hidden by the pit wall about middle of the straight & another had a poorly made part that HB apperently knows about & is working on a fix for.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Who is Hara ?????
Old 11-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

i would imagine you are in the same delemma that many other racers are in now, which one? i went thru it about 6 weeks ago and i am VERY happy with my choice, the D8. i have driven my friend's 2.0 and M6. here is my .02:

coming from a losi, i wasn't to thrilled about getn another one (the 2.0). good buggy but twitchy and a maintenance hore. felt like i was always putting money into worn out parts, at least they weren't broke parts tho. felt like i was driving on the edge all the time. driven the 2.0 was definately more tamed.

mugen, very good buggy, average price, but parts prices are thru the roof! if i had to pick another besides the d8 it would be the M6. pretty much a good in all your criteria.

D8, great price, EASY to drive, very little maint. (i actually get bored sometimes with the buggy cuz nothing 2 work on). buggy is on the heavy side but doesn't drive like it. parts are inexpensive. judging from your criteria, i would say go with D8. i give it an excellent in all of your categories except the durability, plastic is a little brittle but i would still give it a good; it did win a hour long race.

i am a conservative driver as well, the D8 is very easy to keep on all fours, i would say the most stable out of the 3 (from what i have driven). good luck.

AKA Products, Team Losi, Track Star Racing, Tekno RC, Hitec RCD, LRP, Schelle Racing, Imagine It Graphics, EKD, VP/PowerMaster fuels
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You are looking to some magical answer to the mythical question. "which one is better". The correct answer is the one you like the most not the one someone else feels is superior to another because thats what they drive. All the buggys you mentioned in your choices are very good buggys reguardless of someone elses opinion. It's just that there opinion. Choose the one you liked the most for whatever reason you like it. looks, shocks or whatever seemingly dumb reason you have for liking a particular ride and buy it. Taking someone elses opinion often ends up in the purchase of two rides. The one you bought on advice and then the one you like from the begining. Any of the top buggys will be quite competive in the right hands even the late models are still quite competive. (They didnt reinvent the wheel). The object is to get the one that you enjoy spending time with driving and doing maintenance on. When doing maintenance is more like having fun than a chore. Your already ahead of most in bulletproofing your ride. luck + driving skill + maintenance= bulletproof There is no such thing as the best buggy and there never will be. Theres only the best buggy for you. I bet you a dollar to a donut if you buy the one you like. It will jump further & higher, go faster, never give you problems and corner like its on rails compared to any other buggy on the market. You got to love your ride number one rule whether 1/8 scale or 1:1. Loving your ride makes all it's little quirks seem meaningless. And ALL buggys have quirks no matter how cheap or how expensive.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

IMO there all darn good buggies, there so close these days anyone of them can make you a winner. I went for the bang for the buck route and have a D8 on its way. Stormer hobbies has the D8 for $309, and that is the cheapest I could find it anywhere. Then I found Tower blowing out a Trinity platinum Adam Drake ed motor for $171, and I was totally pleased.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the input from everyone.

vladconnery: I appreciate your opinion. I think you summed it up great for me. All of the top buggies are going to be competitive. It does come down to which one I would enjoy the most. For me, I believe that is going to be the D8. I am intrigue by the buggy.
brianr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
By this I did mean that it really was basically stock..Ti screw kit, LSP Rod ends, it used all the stock plastic parts..hubs, chassis..I was told this by a buddy that works at HPI, If your going by you guys definition of "not stock" then just about every club racers car is not stock..
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Smile I've had

I've had the D8 since its release but after 4 races i've bought a Kyosho mp9 just because after each race i kept having to replace parts etc and i'm not a flat out crash and burn driver. I'm steady and engines are reliable, so going to test the mp9 for the next couple of months and see how that works out and i must say build quality is second to none on the mp9. Very very impressed, it oozzess quality.
Damient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I have the exact same list going, except you're missing the AE RC8. Ask yourself this, would you buy the D8 if it was the same price as the other 3? Probably not. I know if I get a D8 I'll always wonder what it would have been like to own an MBX-6 or AE RC8. So for me the answer is simple, get the one you really want. Nothing beats the quality of the Mugen or RC8, I can't speak for the Losi, but I'm sure it's nice as well. The D8 is a good car, but it looks so plastic.

With all that being said, I still might end up with a D8 BECAUSE it is cheap, and I can't drive for crap.
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote