R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
By this I did mean that it really was basically stock..Ti screw kit, LSP Rod ends, it used all the stock plastic parts..hubs, chassis..I was told this by a buddy that works at HPI, If your going by you guys definition of "not stock" then just about every club racers car is not stock..
Hara's D8 had at least a different rear shock tower plus longer rear shocks neither of which seem to be available so far...

Now I'm not saying that any of the other cars in the final were stock but Hara's D8 was not out of the box by any means. Savoyas Mugen 6 was close to stock with the option alloy towers - which are available - rather than graphite but he was using Ti screws, graphite dirt shields, and I think a 5R body to match the dirt shields.

I thought the D8 had issues with hinge pins or mounts pulling out plus CVD breakages which seem to be getting sorted slowly but all cars have issues as others have stated. I wouldn't put the RC8 in the list though as that has far too many issues for me to even think about it, not that it seems to hold it back in the hands of the Pro drivers...
paul_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I really like my D8! Does all the carbon fiber really make the others any faster. Maybe but I doubt it helps much if any at all. Most of the carbon fiber is just used for radio trays and such. It does help lighten things a bit though. I actually like the D8's radio tray design. It makes maintenance much easier. The low screw count also really helps out. It just doesn't look as fancy as the others.

Buy what YOU want though. This is gonna be your buggy and you have to be happy with it. If you feel like your settling on something because it's cheaper and it's not really what you want you'll probably find a reason to be unhappy with it. They are all very competetive IMHO.
x195svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_j View Post
Hara's D8 had at least a different rear shock tower plus longer rear shocks neither of which seem to be available so far...

Now I'm not saying that any of the other cars in the final were stock but Hara's D8 was not out of the box by any means. Savoyas Mugen 6 was close to stock with the option alloy towers - which are available - rather than graphite but he was using Ti screws, graphite dirt shields, and I think a 5R body to match the dirt shields.

I thought the D8 had issues with hinge pins or mounts pulling out plus CVD breakages which seem to be getting sorted slowly but all cars have issues as others have stated. I wouldn't put the RC8 in the list though as that has far too many issues for me to even think about it, not that it seems to hold it back in the hands of the Pro drivers...

The longer shocks and rear tower were off the previous design buggy the evo 2. The rear tower was just anodized to match the stockers. He was also running a prototype lightened chassis and lightened outdrives. I've only read about one problem with the hinge pins pulling out but there was a problem with the CVD's but the newer kits are being shipped with revised versions. I have also recieved a revised set when I broke one.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Topics like this never really generate any accurate information ........it's always whomever has whatever saying they like it the best . You gotta think everything is good nowadays . I always think some cars "fit" you though .
dead1dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead1dave View Post
Topics like this never really generate any accurate information ........it's always whomever has whatever saying they like it the best . You gotta think everything is good nowadays . I always think some cars "fit" you though .
But the question still remains... is the D8 really on the same level as the Mugen, Losi, and Team AE? It is significantly cheaper, but sometimes that doesn't matter. Just because something costs more doesn't make it better.
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #21
Tech Regular

I think so. It can definately compete. It's a little heavier than most but I feel that adds to the smooth consistent feel of the buggy. It isn't perfect but I don't think any of the buggies are.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is a fact. Last year I was a bottom of the pack intermediate driver, at the time drove a hyper 8.5 pro. Now I have a D8 100% box stock, even the set up out of the manual. Yesterday I got second place in one qualifier and won my 3rd qualifier. Qualified 5th in the a main out of 15 total. Was running 3rd with 5 minutes left when I got t-boned at the end of the straight and broke a rear hub carrier. Yes it did break but under that impact any car would have broke.

People at the track cant believe the difference. If it makes you feel good to spend high dollar to have the most expensive kit on the market then this car isnt for you. If you want a car that is easy to drive and has more on power steering than anything I have driven then get a D8.

One last point. One person said if the car was equal price to say a RC8 people wouldnt buy it. To that I say I totally disagree! Its funny how putting a high price tag on things make them better. I am convinced that if Nikko came out with a 1/8 scale buggy and it had a $800 price tag some people on this board would buy it just to say they had it. And after spending that kind of money on it who would admit that it wasnt any better than anything else.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I have a TL 8 and just ordered a Hotbodies D8 I can't wait to get it
The Losi is a good car haven't really broken anything on it but it does seem to wear parts a lot (steering ackermans, rod ends, hinge pin braces) those are the most common it's also kinda twitchy and light on the rear and the D8 being a little heavier should be more stable but so should be the 2.0.
I don't think the price will hold the D8 back because with the lightning pro before it none of the HB team drivers had the same level of success as they have had with this one.
And with the team losi mine has the TFT chassis, HD Diffs, HD brakes, AL servo saver & truggy spring, QC engine mount and ADJ rear hinge pin brace all that brings the price close or over the MP9 when it was bought.
But all cars have problems my 8, my friends RC8 and prolly all makes I've seen on the track have had problems but I have seen all of them do really well also .
So just go with what you like after all your the one thats gonna be driving it, if you buy a lot from your LHS then check there also
E-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
Here is a fact. Last year I was a bottom of the pack intermediate driver, at the time drove a hyper 8.5 pro. Now I have a D8 100% box stock, even the set up out of the manual. Yesterday I got second place in one qualifier and won my 3rd qualifier. Qualified 5th in the a main out of 15 total. Was running 3rd with 5 minutes left when I got t-boned at the end of the straight and broke a rear hub carrier. Yes it did break but under that impact any car would have broke.

People at the track cant believe the difference. If it makes you feel good to spend high dollar to have the most expensive kit on the market then this car isnt for you. If you want a car that is easy to drive and has more on power steering than anything I have driven then get a D8.

One last point. One person said if the car was equal price to say a RC8 people wouldnt buy it. To that I say I totally disagree! Its funny how putting a high price tag on things make them better. I am convinced that if Nikko came out with a 1/8 scale buggy and it had a $800 price tag some people on this board would buy it just to say they had it. And after spending that kind of money on it who would admit that it wasnt any better than anything else.
Nice write up. In this sport generally things that cost more are better or perform better. I think the D8 is becoming the exception, but it's hard to grasp that a chassis 1/2 the price of the others is just as good or at least just as capable. Just like you can find cars or motorcycles for half the price of the "best" with equal performance some people will still go high end for aesthetics and exclusivity. I like carbon fiber!
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #25
Tech Regular

I have owned them all and can say they all drive different then the other. Depends on your set-up ability and driving style. The only one I would stay away from is the Assoc. RC8! The RC8 STILL has tank issues that can translate into motor issues, no big bores (add $100.00 to the cost of the car), and then you have to move the rec. battery for good jumping and handling.

The Mugen, losi and D8 are all well built. I like the Mugen but it is a driving style issue. There are similarities between all these buggies-loose rear end-. this allows them to rotate better, and they all have alot of steering.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #26
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I agree there are many fast machines, many of todays machines perform awesome..however so far I have seen nothing that has the durability and longevity of the Mugen's..... time after time where other machines will break a Mugen will keep on truckin...I have had amazing success with my MBX5T, the machine is the best built most durable RC I have ever owned.... I frequent many races and its very apparent Mugen's have a definite edge in durability and reliability.because of this I will always prefer to run a Mugen product...even if a cheaper buggy performs as well or better it is not going to bring the same quality,durability and reliability tot he table as a Mugen does....I am not trying to knock any companies products, as i feel they are all great, will however state that Mugen is a the top of the food chain when it comes to being tough !!!
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote