R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Questions?? RC8 Factory Team vs MBX 6 need some feedback

I recently decided to give another 1/8 buggy a try. I have been running a Losi 8ight B for the last 6 months and wanted to try a different buggy, one that is a little more forgiving.

Carolinas RC was out of MBX6 so i took a RC8. I know to an extent it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy question as 2 to which buggy is better. And the MBX6 is pretty new.
I was hoping to hear from some people that have run both and what they decided to go with and why. While I can still return the RC8 and swap it for the MBX6 if they come in.

Personally I am looking for something durable with good parts availability that is easier to drive and tune then the Losi.

One of the reasons I like the RC8 is there are 2 Factory Racers in our area that are really helpful when it comes to set-up.
The RC8 is about $140 less but dosent come with factory big bore shocks either

MBX6, There are a ton of people running them now so I know will be able to get parts and some help with my set-up. But dont want to get 1 just because everyone else has 1.

Any feedback or input would be appresheated!!!

Last edited by robbdny; 11-28-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added
robbdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcboxer

I haven't ran the mbx6 but I have raced a Losi 8 for about 2 years and recently switched to the rc8. The big differences to me were that I could almost drive the rc8 like a truggy compared to the 8ight and the rc8 has tons of steering. I do like that the rc8 can be driven SO hard!! Never got to try a mugen but I am sure it is really awesome!!!
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Check your pm.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Default rc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboxer View Post
I haven't ran the mbx6 but I have raced a Losi 8 for about 2 years and recently switched to the rc8. The big differences to me were that I could almost drive the rc8 like a truggy compared to the 8ight and the rc8 has tons of steering. I do like that the rc8 can be driven SO hard!! Never got to try a mugen but I am sure it is really awesome!!!
I noticed that my Losi developed alot of slop in most of the plastic pretty quick. Are you guys saying the RC8 is like a losi? Where the Mugen is more like an 808
Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

GET THE MBX 6!!!!!!!

I love the car it the most durable car i have ever seen. One of the most easiest cars to have a good setup on.
Team horchata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Losi & 808: Very agile cars that border on twitchy for many people. Like to drive on the edge, but they have a fine line before going over the edge.

RC8: Stable but yet tons of steering. Not nearly as edgey or twitchy as the Losi & 808, not also not as stable as the Mugen.

MBX-6: Very stable planted car, but at the expense of steering. Very easy to drive & very consistent car, but I would say it is harder to drive as fast as the RC8/Losi/808 will go but it will be easier to put down much more consistent laps.

Personally, I drive the 808 as I can't stand to drive a car that lacks on steering, I would rather only move the steering wheel a little than to bang it back and forth figuring out how to get the car to turn.
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Tech Master

Forgot to add, Mugen would easily be the most durable car on the list.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Default great

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmax View Post
Losi & 808: Very agile cars that border on twitchy for many people. Like to drive on the edge, but they have a fine line before going over the edge.

RC8: Stable but yet tons of steering. Not nearly as edgey or twitchy as the Losi & 808, not also not as stable as the Mugen.

MBX-6: Very stable planted car, but at the expense of steering. Very easy to drive & very consistent car, but I would say it is harder to drive as fast as the RC8/Losi/808 will go but it will be easier to put down much more consistent laps.

Personally, I drive the 808 as I can't stand to drive a car that lacks on steering, I would rather only move the steering wheel a little than to bang it back and forth figuring out how to get the car to turn.

Jsmax
Thanks thats the kind of information that I am looking 4!!!! Can ask you this how does the RC8 compare to Losi on quality? Does it develop the slop?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Default rc8

I heard some people say the shocks on the RC8 are shitty? Now here is what gets me thinking. If I buy some Kyosho or Jammim big bore shocks I am close to the price of the Mugen? I dont mean to beat a dead horse but the way I am understanding people is the rc8 tunrs better then the Mugen? What are the RC8's really strong points?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Tech Master

In my experience:
Losi: Just plain wears quick, and not really the stuff you would expect. The camber link balls, the steering screws and bushing collars, metal shock caps etc. On the plus side most of the parts are cheap (Except the shock caps, a bit expensivce for how quickly they wear, I would look for an alternative if I got another losi).

RC8: Intially seems to wear pretty bad, say in the first 1/2 gallon it overlly wears a lot, but then over the next 4 gallons does not seem to wear much at all. Kind of like it breaks in and then stays that way.

808: Durability and wear is pretty good, just have to replace the center cvd/pinion bearings fairly frequently.

MBX-6: Hasn't really been out long enough to tell, but historically mugen is the most durable and reliable car you can get and does not really wear parts out very quickly. Traditonally Mugen is built like a tank, not sure now however as they are the lightest car on the market and border minimum weight and that would usually mean there is a compromise somewhere?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Tech Master

I even just ran the jammin 13mm shocks on mine, much better. The AE shocks are good, but they are difficult to build right. I put mugen caps and bladders on mine and they were much more consistent. While not available on the car yet I believe that AE has the buggy shocks available seperately.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Default rc8

Quote:
In my experience:
Losi: Just plain wears quick, and not really the stuff you would expect. The camber link balls, the steering screws and bushing collars, metal shock caps etc. On the plus side most of the parts are cheap (Except the shock caps, a bit expensivce for how quickly they wear, I would look for an alternative if I got another losi).

RC8: Intially seems to wear pretty bad, say in the first 1/2 gallon it overlly wears a lot, but then over the next 4 gallons does not seem to wear much at all. Kind of like it breaks in and then stays that way.

808: Durability and wear is pretty good, just have to replace the center cvd/pinion bearings fairly frequently.

MBX-6: Hasn't really been out long enough to tell, but historically mugen is the most durable and reliable car you can get and does not really wear parts out very quickly. Traditonally Mugen is built like a tank, not sure now however as they are the lightest car on the market and border minimum weight and that would usually mean there is a compromise somewhere?
thanks for putting it that way easy to understand. you might have told me this but what is the rc8 strongest point. Xray is know for its quality Mugen is built like a tank...What about the rc8? excuse me for the redundant questions
Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Tech Master

My biggest question to you would be what are you looking for in a car and what extent do you take care of your cars, for example:

- Are you the type of person that likes to go through your car every every race day or every 2/3/4?
- Which do you take first traction/stability or Steering or a compomise of both.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
Tech Master

RC8 has rocket acceleration.

I would say the RC8's strength is that it is the best of both worlds. It does not have as good as steering as the Losi/808 but steers really well, it just does not take you to the edge near as easy. It also does not have the best traction/stability but is pretty good. To me it is the best compromise between traction, stability and steering. The weakpoint is the rough track handling of the RC8 is not very good, not bad, just not that good.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
Tech Addict

I am the type of person that takes his car apart after every race or heavy practice. As far as what do I take 1st I guess I am looking for the compromise. My Losi held up good for me probably because I devoted alot of time to matinance. What ever car I run will probably get the same treatment. My biggest beef with the Losi is I felt really inconsistent with it. I raced at the Farms Nitro Fest and later in the night when the conditions got cold and the track changed I felt like I was driving for the 1st time. 1 day I run good then the next time I feel as though I have started over. YOu said the rc8 accelerates like a rocket. I guess I am to new to understand that completely but I thought that was more to do with the engine. Also wit my Losi it was hard for me to carry my speed through a turn with out getting out of shape like everyone else racing

Quote:
My biggest question to you would be what are you looking for in a car and what extent do you take care of your cars, for example:

- Are you the type of person that likes to go through your car every every race day or every 2/3/4?
- Which do you take first traction/stability or Steering or a compomise of both.