R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If the cars are very close in price after getting the BB on the RC8, then think about the price of parts. AE parts are very easy to get and half the price of mugen parts.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my opinion the MBX buggies are a very good buggy, they handle very well and from what i have heard from a few drivers it is excellent to drive. Myself i have found that they are hard on upper hinge pins breaking (its no fun in the middle of your main) i dont know if they have corrected the issue with the MBX6 but other than that its quite planted but could use more steering. I chose the RC8 other than the fact of easy to get parts for situations, i found that it handles really well for my driving style (im usualy pushing the cars very hard). All buggies have thier issues and this one had a problem with not enough steering but i moved the battery to the front on the mud guard beside the steering servo and it turns hard and reacts when i want it to. I havent broken a part in almost 3 gallons and i havent installed the service pack. I havent tried the big bores yet but i am going to try a set in the spring. In my opinion since there isnt 1000 different setups you may find this one easier to setup for each race, i usualy keep the same setup and it works very well, where the only differences may be diff oils and ride height.

P.S. Having Team drivers around to give you hints and help NEVER hurts!

My 2 cents.

Jay.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcboxer

So have we all made your decision easier or harder?
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default thanks

Thanks Jay
robbdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No worries i just hope any of this has helped you decide on your purchase. Now i just wish i could go out and play with my truck Oh well a couple more months!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Default eaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboxer View Post
So have we all made your decision easier or harder?

I wanna give the RC8 a shot. I heard alot of good things here. If what buggy to run was everyones biggest problem life would be pretty good.

Thanks Again Everyone,
Robb D
Old 11-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #52
Tech Master

I owned the old losi & hated it,I like to drive around corners & couldnt get used to the losi driving style or the wear even though I was getting past by them. The wear issue was mostly in my mind though as the losi truck I had would wear even faster than my buggy but when I gave up replacing parts & fixed all the problems the losi came with it seemed to make no difference how worn it got it still drove the same(good).It just bugged me how fast it wore is all. I also had the RC8 & liked a lot of their designs but that car just sucked for me.It would not go through rough stuff without kicking & bucking.RC8 would also develope extreame wear in the front end very fast,those little bushings that were a great idea on paper were poorly executed but the front I didnt have driving issues with it worked good enough for me.The main problem with the RC8 was the shocks were absolute junk & I dont know what the exact problem with the rear suspention geometry was but theres something very wrong there. I can ony assume that since a couple factory AE guys are using the truck rear tower & have tried evrything they can think of with the shocks(look at their setup sheets for the evolution of shock mods or read their forum for the crazy things they tried)& just gave up & went bigbore it has to be a combination of the 2. I used the shocks off my old mugen & noticed an imediate improvement but some thing still wasnt right.I also used the fuel tank from my mugen just so the car would run consistantly. The biggest remark on the RC8 would be in the short time youve been racing how many people have you seen give up on the RC8 at your track? I know of 6 or 8 where I race that have said no more. As for durability AE would not be the best. 1/2 the guys that switched did so because they would DNF almost every week,mostly front end , shock , tank problems. It seems to me most of the problems can be overcome like the losi issues were. I just dont under stand why someone would start with a car that has to be fixed before you can use it,why not start with a car that has the least amount of problems to begin with. I drive the 808 but have driven my buddys MBX6 & with the way our cars were setup(personal taste) mine had a more planted rear end,other than that they drove the exact same & wear the same.I have heard of front upper hinge pin issues with the new mugen but not exactly sure what they are cuz nobody at my track has broken their car that I know of. I under stand the RC8 is cheaper but hyundai is cheaper than porsche too & I think you know the difference there. Not to beat a dead horse as I understand how tempting it is to go with the car that your 2 buddys can give you pointers for & setup help with & that can be very helpful but if they both help you polish a turd your still gonna end up with a very shiny turd & then move on to a different car 6 month from now after spending all the money you did.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #53
Tech Addict

Default words

Butchman,
I can relate to what you wrote most of all, the losi wear problems driving me crazy and repairs not seeming to help ect!!! In my mind while working on my Losi I am thinking to myself why am I going through all of this trouble with micro adjustments when there is so much slop in the front end. When I opened the box on the RC8 and saw the service pack packed with the car I asked myself the same question why didnt they take the time to send the kits out with the service update done? What I have heard alot of in this thread is the premature wearing in the front end. That drove me crazy with my 8ight.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
I owned the old losi & hated it,I like to drive around corners & couldnt get used to the losi driving style or the wear even though I was getting past by them. The wear issue was mostly in my mind though as the losi truck I had would wear even faster than my buggy but when I gave up replacing parts & fixed all the problems the losi came with it seemed to make no difference how worn it got it still drove the same(good).It just bugged me how fast it wore is all. I also had the RC8 & liked a lot of their designs but that car just sucked for me.It would not go through rough stuff without kicking & bucking.RC8 would also develope extreame wear in the front end very fast,those little bushings that were a great idea on paper were poorly executed but the front I didnt have driving issues with it worked good enough for me.The main problem with the RC8 was the shocks were absolute junk & I dont know what the exact problem with the rear suspention geometry was but theres something very wrong there. I can ony assume that since a couple factory AE guys are using the truck rear tower & have tried evrything they can think of with the shocks(look at their setup sheets for the evolution of shock mods or read their forum for the crazy things they tried)& just gave up & went bigbore it has to be a combination of the 2. I used the shocks off my old mugen & noticed an imediate improvement but some thing still wasnt right.I also used the fuel tank from my mugen just so the car would run consistantly. The biggest remark on the RC8 would be in the short time youve been racing how many people have you seen give up on the RC8 at your track? I know of 6 or 8 where I race that have said no more. As for durability AE would not be the best. 1/2 the guys that switched did so because they would DNF almost every week,mostly front end , shock , tank problems. It seems to me most of the problems can be overcome like the losi issues were. I just dont under stand why someone would start with a car that has to be fixed before you can use it,why not start with a car that has the least amount of problems to begin with. I drive the 808 but have driven my buddys MBX6 & with the way our cars were setup(personal taste) mine had a more planted rear end,other than that they drove the exact same & wear the same.I have heard of front upper hinge pin issues with the new mugen but not exactly sure what they are cuz nobody at my track has broken their car that I know of. I under stand the RC8 is cheaper but hyundai is cheaper than porsche too & I think you know the difference there. Not to beat a dead horse as I understand how tempting it is to go with the car that your 2 buddys can give you pointers for & setup help with & that can be very helpful but if they both help you polish a turd your still gonna end up with a very shiny turd & then move on to a different car 6 month from now after spending all the money you did.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #54
Tech Regular

The Mugen quality is far better then the associated. The RC8 tank issue is still not solved...this tank issue alone is reason enough to not buy the RC8. Save yourself alot of headaches and get the Losi or the Mugen. I bought a Mugen Mbx6 via MSN live search (second one) for 375.00 shipped.Check out live search and find a great deal on most buggies.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Default msn live search

thanks for the heads up the problem I am having is I have the rc8 that I bought I can return it to Carolinas RC because I didnt open it. Just hoping to be able to swap it out there and pay the difference for the mbx6 its just they dont know when the next shipment is coming in.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #56
Tech Regular

Return it and buy the mbx6 somewhere else. MAC hobbies in Alabama has them for sure. Live Search from Mac will cost you under 400.00. Without live search just plain e-bay 512.00 shipped from MAC.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Default losi slope

i do agree with losi slope. i have been running losi buggy for 4 months only. the buggy appear like a 2 year old kyosho 777 buggy which my friend was running it. i m really disappointed. the thing is with such slope i can be quite fast though.

Till recently i have the rear diff spiral gear and pinion gear strips.
i simply do not know how the hell that happen. i suspect is the plastic rear gear box housing. i am not sure does any one faces such issues before.

now i m running mbx6. i can tell u tat mbx 6 handles better. straight out of the box with stock setting i can bash with my friends. the pplastic is tougher and its accuracy is so precise.

i still have the losi with me, i wish to sell it off but no one wants it. do perhaps i shall keep it as a spare car cause no matter what it is losi buggy do give me some fun..

novaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Default rc8

I hope that someone from Associated gets a hold of the thread and starts to take some of theses concerns serious. I have always liked there products. For anyone else trying to make a decision like mine what nailed the coffin shut was:

1. BB Shocks, The people running them said it dramatically helped the rough track handling of the RC8
$120.00

2. Rims without tires

3. I can only speak from Losi experience but after hearing alot of people saying that the RC8 develops alot of slop is a really big turn off for me and I am sure anyone looking to switch from Losi.

4. All of this business about moving the receiver pack to the front of the chassis. Personally I dont want to spend that much money on a new kit and have to rig some sort of battery box in the front of the chassis.

Maybe next time I will give them a shot
Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Concerns? . Moving the battery pack... big deal you either have a bit of servo tape to hold it or two tie-raps that go through the mud guards. Easy. (there's always little tips and tricks you can do but in the end it's up to you if you want to do these things)
Big Bores, yea i've got them. Make a massive difference, easier to drive, lands easier etc etc. Every car has hop-ups, i mean look at the older 777. That didn't have BB's but no one really complained they just went out and bought them.
Slop, every car generates slop over time (ok maybe not the Xray but hey). I've got about 3 gallons on my RC8 and no slop.
Tank issues, had none and i've had 2 RC8's. Some people are born with bad luck....
Rims without tyres.... one set of tyres might work at one track but not another. Gives the consumer the opportunity to choose for themselves.

Both cars are good. You'll do well with either.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I like the RC8 myself it handles awsome accelerates like crazy, parts are cheap, has tons of aftermarket support, AE has great support, its super light and balanced and is 1 of the better cars durability wise. I wasnt a fan of the older Mugen but the new 1 looks great but Parts will Kill you where as theRC8 they are cheap as hell and you can probably find some parts anywhere for it. Also AE is working on a upgrade for it which you would be able to convert to.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote