R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

RC8 is geared as such that it will accelerate harder coming out the of the corner than most cars with the same engine. Also, due to how laid down the shocks are you can carry more speed into the corner. The RC8 is not going to be as consitent as a Mugen, but would come a long ways from the losi.

Your describing the Losi pretty well the same way I did, It is on the edge, but can easily go over the edge.

Last question, how about brakes? Do you like to steer by sliding the back of the car, or tapping the brakes to get the car to rotate?
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmax View Post
RC8 is geared as such that it will accelerate harder coming out the of the corner than most cars with the same engine. Also, due to how laid down the shocks are you can carry more speed into the corner. The RC8 is not going to be as consitent as a Mugen, but would come a long ways from the losi.

Your describing the Losi pretty well the same way I did, It is on the edge, but can easily go over the edge.

Last question, how about brakes? Do you like to steer by sliding the back of the car, or tapping the brakes to get the car to rotate?
I will answer questions like this all day your really helping me out!!!! The guys that I run with got me in the habbit to use the brakes as little as possible. On my Losi I never would power slide with the brakes into the corners. My Losi brakes were set really light. I would rather tap the brakes to get it to rotate.
robbdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:

Also with my Losi it felt really over the edge coming out of a turn, On power steering was awesome if I could hit the sweet spot otherwise I would either have to really slow down or risk spinning out. There was a rythem section at my race last week and I couldn't jump into it constantly so I rolled it during the main.

I know a big part of it is I have only raced about 15xs and started 6 months ago.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdny View Post
I recently decided to give another 1/8 buggy a try. I have been running a Losi 8ight B for the last 6 months and wanted to try a different buggy, one that is a little more forgiving.

Carolinas RC was out of MBX6 so i took a RC8. I know to an extent it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy question as 2 to which buggy is better. And the MBX6 is pretty new.
I was hoping to hear from some people that have run both and what they decided to go with and why. While I can still return the RC8 and swap it for the MBX6 if they come in.

Personally I am looking for something durable with good parts availability that is easier to drive and tune then the Losi.

One of the reasons I like the RC8 is there are 2 Factory Racers in our area that are really helpful when it comes to set-up.
The RC8 is about $140 less but dosent come with factory big bore shocks either

MBX6, There are a ton of people running them now so I know will be able to get parts and some help with my set-up. But dont want to get 1 just because everyone else has 1.

Any feedback or input would be appresheated!!!
I have tried several buggies this year such as the losi 8, 808, rc8, and now the mbx6. Since you are only asking about the rc8 and mbx6 here is what I can share.
Now these are just my opinions, not bashing or hating.
The rc8, very easy to work and tune on, very adjustable right out of the box. Car accelerates very hard, light weight, for the most part durability does not seem like an issue.
Some of the negatives, the shocks, I never blew them out but there are no bleed holes on the caps, kind of makes it tricky on bleeding the shocks. As for the plastic caps to make the shocks emulsion style, they worked great until I landed from a big jump. I feel the big bores will have addressed all of the these issues though. Fuel tank woes, I think ae is on there 3rd revision of the tank. Car does seem to get rather worn pretty fast. As for on track performance, I was not happy with the car, I did not feel the car had a huge amount of steering, to me it pushed, I also was not able to get the car through the bumps and ruts like I would prefer. All in all I just made more mistakes with this buggy and was not comfortable driving it.

The mbx6, all adjustments in the "kit", Proline racing tires, big bores, lots of little upgrades from the previous mugen buggies, significantly lighter than 5r. Three gallons through the car and still in very good shape, all drive line components, plastics, etc. The only piece I would advise as an upgrade would be the front upper arm hinge pin holder.
On track performance, very stable, cruises through the ruff stuff with ease, plenty of steering both on and off power, I actually have steering dialed out of my car on the transmitter, car jumps excellent, the reduced vehicle weight and new gear ratio allow the car to accelerate hard. For me the mugen buggy is just easy to drive but that is just the car that fits my style of driving. I see myself sticking with the mugen for a long time. And to go back on the ae car, they have great customer service, when I bought my buggy they hooked me up with the service pack and new fuel tank in a prompt manner so they are addressing any issues with there car. I felt that needed to be mentioned. I hope this info helps.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
Tech Addict

I've noticed the RC8 team drivers having trouble finishing races. Thats about all i can say that I've seen with my own eyes. If you get the RC8 don't hit a pipe to hard.

Losi 2.0 = good
Losi 1.0 = bad

CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #21
Tech Addict

thanks jpz the more info the better
Old 11-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

"One of the reasons I like the RC8 is there are 2 Factory Racers in our area that are really helpful when it comes to set-up."
that part right there of your paragraph means alot to me when buying a car. when i raced touring i was friends with drew ellis who runs for xray,its a HUGE benefit to be in that position
Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

That is why i am selling my 808. I race weekly with Richard Saxton, and 4 other AE drivers. With only 1 other xray at my track, it is harder to get good setups.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Default tuff

I know i am asking a tuff question. If someone asked me about Losi I would be more then happy to share what I think and feel. The more people the better giving input. The only thing my Losi ate up was clutch bearings so I bought the 10pakcs of bearings. The question that I am asking seems to surface in every sport.

I grew up racing motocross and based on what I am hearing in this thread.
Xray seems like KTM
The Mugen seems like the Honda cr
The RC8 seems like the Yamaha yz
Losi is like the Suzuki.

Granted I have been out of AMA scene for 10 years, and I know bikes have changed alot since then. Needless to say I raced Honda. For those of you guys raced in supercross in the 90s I think you can appreciate my analogy.

Back to the topic and the last statement one of the reasons I liked the RC8 is the 2 factory racers always willing to help people out. I can honestly say I have tried every combination of settings on my Losi 8ight 1.0. I just couldn't` seem to get consistent or run consistently fast and stable. And dispite how much time I spent working on it the parts seem to wear really quick

When I was younger I really wouldn't care as much but being a little older (37) I really try to educate myself before buying something
Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

i dont think MX bikes of today compare to RC.. every bike now is super capable out of the box..anyone whos fast is going to be fast on one.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I think RC's are much similiar still. There are a lot of great kits that can win.

I would say if you don't mind a bit of steering with the brakes in some tight spots (May or may not even have the problem) I would suggest the MBX-6 might be your best choice.
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Default one more

Quote:
I think RC's are much similiar still. There are a lot of great kits that can win.

I would say if you don't mind a bit of steering with the brakes in some tight spots (May or may not even have the problem) I would suggest the MBX-6 might be your best choice.
jsmax in reference to steering I would like to have a buggy that had more power on steering. I am sure with my Losi alot of it was me and my set-up but watching other races in between heat races I could really see how the Jammins and the Mugens were really railing around the turns. My losi felt like a Ford Pinto with a blown big block.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
Tech Regular

I have owned and raced the RC8,losi 8, and Presently have the mbx6. I like the MBX6 the best. It has the most steering and is planted. The RC8 has sveral weak links out of the box including a design flaw. Why do the fast guys including team drivers shift the rec, battery to the front? The reason is because stock the car jumps poorly over big air,difficult to get he nose down.
The shocks are no good so plan on spending 100.00 plus on new shocks!

The losi is a very good car that just got better. I would buy either the eight or the mbx6 for overall quality and handling. Ithink the Mugen has better overall parts but the losi has been the design leader for over two years....not sure what the rc8 brings to the table.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
I have owned and raced the RC8,losi 8, and Presently have the mbx6. I like the MBX6 the best. It has the most steering and is planted. The RC8 has sveral weak links out of the box including a design flaw. Why do the fast guys including team drivers shift the rec, battery to the front? The reason is because stock the car jumps poorly over big air,difficult to get he nose down.
The shocks are no good so plan on spending 100.00 plus on new shocks!

The losi is a very good car that just got better. I would buy either the eight or the mbx6 for overall quality and handling. Ithink the Mugen has better overall parts but the losi has been the design leader for over two years....not sure what the rc8 brings to the table.
Thanks Thopper
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Mugen all the way. RC8's out of the box are sloppy and only get worse. And, from what I've seen around here , they handle like crap as well. Even in the hands of very good drivers.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote