Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New Caster Racing Nitro Buggy Just Announced! >

New Caster Racing Nitro Buggy Just Announced!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Caster Racing Nitro Buggy Just Announced!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I like the Caster USA model for sponsorship. I would be much more inclined and impressed to run the same buggy as the local fast the guy than the one that a driver the likes of Tebo is running. Making some big event A-Mains should turn heads... and if (when) they podium

I recently purchased a Fusion Sport and Mike, Dustin and Cam have been there with an answer to every question I have posed. Dustin even went to the effort of picking up a pinion gear for me at his local hobby shop. So far, I couldn't ask for a better experience or be more pleased with the service and support. Totally sasisfied.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dude C.
Chris
IMO. Caster's angle of attack is to "get the word out". It's all about advertising, and deligating racers to advertise for your company is 1 way. It soley cant rest on 1 man sholders to do it all. I know that one of the LHS in my area is ordering less a month than normal. With the country in money troubles, the hobby shop doesn't want stuff to just sit there.

Which in a sense supports my question - the one that goes IS Caster about to become the first DIRECT marketing r/c brand?

I know I'll be ordering my Pro kit REAL soon. Will I sell off the losi 8? Nope, I"ll use it as a back up. If I'm at a big 3 day race and my Caster ride is beyond repair or I dont have the parts to fix it, only then it'll see action. I'd like to finish what I started.

Certainly we ALL like to finish what we start - but I believe switching chassis in mid event is against the rules (certainly in ROAR events) and in my opinion violates a fundamental rule of fair play - using your version of 'finish what I start' a guy could show up with half a dozen fully loaded vehicles and just switch out as necessary..... Sounds silly but I think you get what I mean.
Some people need to sell there old stuff in order to by new, we've all been there before.

Certainly NONE of us that I know can affort unlimited r/c vehicles - but from what I would gather, it costs quite a bit to be 'sponsored' by Caster.....

Any sponsorship that I had (which truly was limited to one motor and one chassis deal) I didn't have to come up with ANY money - the SPONSOR sent me product to use in competition. BUT, possibly things have changed since then!

Just my 2 cents, still lookin for change.Aren't we all?
BUT, it's interesting to see where all this discussion is going!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

great response a lot to read but I think it answered the questions completely. I am so looking forward to my new buggy and truggy kits
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

SLK: Or have Wives who dont like multiples of the same style R/C car....

one day she will learn. They are like pokemon and STD's gotta catch them all... j/k
OMG - part of that is just plain NASTY!!!!!! BUT, it's all in the art of manipulation - in the days before my present wife, I would just paint everything the same color - it's honestly VERY hard to the non involved to tell a Hot Bodies from a Jammin.....

OASIS: I guess hobby shops in the mid west are different as far as putting parts on the walls..Out here in Ca. from what I've seen "most" shops carry a very limited selection of parts for "racing" buggies and truggies and generally if your not running the popular local brand your parts are for the most non existent..I run a Kyosho, Mugen and a Caster..guess what..I still have to order ALL my parts..no one carries them..So as with most racers I take with me all my spare parts, plus one HUGE ADVANTAGE with Caster and their approach is their getting their cars/trucks into the hands of the racers FIRST..

I don't think that hobby shops are fundamentally different anywhere...... I've never done the 'West Coast Hobby Shop Tour' but I honestly can't imagine that they're THAT different and that parts support of a manufacturer's product wouldn't be a staple of their business. BUT, not sure what part of CA you're in - gosh, you could be right in the heart of Robitronics country - wherever that is!

By getting the parts into the hands of the racers first, is this the final stage of research and development???? Is a failure while contending for a win or podium at your local track what you want in a 'sponsorship'????

hakmazter: As for stores, Nitrocountryrc was our first customer and he really hasn't done anything with it, holeshothobbies sells a lot for us. Hobbytownusa in Omaha has picked up a few things and moved them, hobby haven in Des Moines sells a lot of Caster, there are a few other hobbytowns that are picked up and modhobby picked us up. Stormerhobbies is talking to us now. Once a few "reputable" places pick us up, we will be legitimized. If it happens tomorrow, that is fine, if it is next year, that is ok, too.

GREAT to hear that you're starting to impact some of the more 'mainstream' outlets. I am in HobbyPlex regularly and I didn't notice any Caster product - I'll look harder the next time! I was also in Hobby Haven a month or so ago; guess I missed them there too! I promise - new glasses and an improved focus and I'm sure I'll see them! BUT, evidently the ModHobby thing is recent because they don't have anything on their web site - I looked today.

As for the next step, bigsquid, xtremerc, and rccaraction all are asking for products to review, so I would guess in February, you will start to see a second opinion, good or bad about Caster and that will also kickstart hobby store interest. My goal is to have hobby stores sell our products, but I haven't persued them very hard simply because we were not ready.

Glad to see that there are some other magazines interested in showcasing your products - and it's sorta' near and dear to my heart that RC Driver was first - they have been a lot more interested in non mainstream product then some of the others. AND, I'm sorry that you didn't notice any results but the January issue has just been released - so hopefully time will show you some results!

Your own statement indicates that you were not 'ready' for hobby stores to handle your product - when did you 'get ready' and begin shipping to hobby stores rather then consumer direct?

I would gladly take off slow, build up correctly, do the right thing, and not make money at first, and be around for at least 20 years, than follow the OCM path and be here today and gone tomorrow. Our products are light years ahead of where they were a year ago, and we will keep plugging away. We also make everything except glow plugs for buggies, so we are technically the perfect one stop shop if hobby stores actually took the time to investigate us. We will grow. I am not worried about that at all. The future is very bright for Caster Racingand I am glad to be the one pushing it and glad I am sticking to principles and doing it my way.

Certainly, the LONG haul is something that every manufacturer aspires to be a part of - but honestly there is just so much room.... My opinion is that to survive, a manufacturer must do something DIFFERENT which works! AND, it's great to hear that you PRESENT product is light years ahead of the product that you sold a year ago - hopefully you took care of those who believed early in the run!

AND, the OCM thing certainly probably will leave it's legacy on those who come behind it; it was sad to see people work so hard on this side of the pond only to have the plug pulled by the parent company. My understanding is that the demise of OCM was totally outside of any contracts that they had with the people who were over here doing the work. One would hope that the same fate would not happen to Caster - only you know how enforceable your agreement would be in international court!

I just want to make a public announcement that once a hobby store picks us up, you will be able to buy from them slightly cheaper than from us on top of no shipping charges to you. We want to revolutionize the industry and we want to actually support hobby stores and tracks, not compete against them like some others....Now do not assume the price will be crazy cheaper or anything, but for example if you look at a kit for $450 on our site, we would hope that the hobby store would sell it to a regular customer for $440-430.....Hopefully that $10-20 + shipping would make sure that the customer buys through their lhs....

Strong statements such as this will help you achieve credability IF they are backed in FACT! Your desire to 'revolutionize' the industry is ambitious - I hope that at the very least you can live up to the promises and comitments that you are making to those who are spending their hard earned cash to be 'sponsored' by Caster.

AND, on a personal note - I hope you achieve a nitch that is profitable and allows you to meet your personal goals and commitments!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am really looking forward to my first pro kit being with this company!!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would love to run for Caster and the best thing to m about it is I have never seen 1 at any of my local tracks. I like being alittle different and love the idea of the non "conversion" electric model. They are getting ver popular around here and I would like to run 1 of those also.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Chris,

What exactly are you trying to acheive here?

Your curious about the motives of Caster USA....I'm curious about your motives....as I'm positive that others are as well.

I'm sure you've seen my post on the Grid by now...so you know my thoughts on LHS. Do you/did you own a hobby shop? A search of your posts shows that you've been very active in your r/c community, particularly with local Hobbytowns. Seems your also a "Smoke" fan....can't hold that against ya.

I'm sure in your many years in the hobby you've seen alot of things come and go....and I'm sure your very wise as to the inner workings of the business side of the hobby as well. I'm just trying to understand WHY this is something you feel you needed to get involved with.

Maybe you could give us a little background info on yourself....then this may make a little more sense to us all.

SK
Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeller
Chris,

What exactly are you trying to acheive here?

Your curious about the motives of Caster USA....I'm curious about your motives....as I'm positive that others are as well.

I'm sure you've seen my post on the Grid by now...so you know my thoughts on LHS. Do you/did you own a hobby shop? A search of your posts shows that you've been very active in your r/c community, particularly with local Hobbytowns. Seems your also a "Smoke" fan....can't hold that against ya.

I'm sure in your many years in the hobby you've seen alot of things come and go....and I'm sure your very wise as to the inner workings of the business side of the hobby as well. I'm just trying to understand WHY this is something you feel you needed to get involved with.

Maybe you could give us a little background info on yourself....then this may make a little more sense to us all.

SK

Skeller

You get 250 racers at the Nitro Pit and out of the 250 1 guy complains the whole time someone took his parking spot in the huge Nitro Pit Parking Lot. Not his Pit Area Not his Drinks His parking space in the Lot. There is always that 1 guy and always will be. Get my point.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Shane: Background on myself is probably NOT relevant to this discussion - MY principal concern is that I see people who are NOT top of the tree racers being 'sponsored' by a company that is trying to achieve recognition..... This (to my possibly over suspicious nature) tends to smell a bit more like scam then 'sponsorship'......

BUT, after reading the 'powers that be' posts it would appear to me that they honestly are trying to achieve what they say that they are! I just think that our little community is a bit too concerned about 'being sponsored' rather then honing driving skills, learning set ups and general maintenance of their vehicles so that they can be better drivers!

AND, it appears to me that there is a bit of 'value' to be recieved by these people in exchange for the money they pay to be 'sponsored'...... It apeals to their egos and IF that in turn makes them better racers then I would say that it's a reasonable trade off for their investment!

NOW, for my background!

I'm an older individual who has raced competitivly for 23 years. Started with my son and continued after he moved on to full scale cars. Have I won any National championships? NO! Not even close! BUT, I've had a whale of a lot of fun in this hobby not only competing BUT helping others. I to this day race ever opportunity I get - in some venues I'm competitive, in others I'm totally LOST but I enjoy the opportunity to participate! I primarily race off road nitro and GAS, love the Baja (it's like a BIG gas truck) enjoy 1/8th and love Slash!

Enough of that crud; yes, I've seen a lot of things come and go - most good, a few very BAD (remember the Kyosho Maxim FF?) but that goes with experience.

Do I have an agenda with Caster? Not really - I wanted to see some facts brought forward (which has happened) and I will be interested to see how this goes moving forward. Who knows, our next National champion might be driving a Caster! IF you think that's far fetched, who picked Hot Bodies as a contender at the worlds????? And they certainly went beyond 'contender'!

So, with that said, let's all 'hide and watch' and see how this works out!

Let's all make mental 'notes' as to who these 'sponsored' drivers ARE, how they perform ON the track and how they perform AT the track - and we all know those are 2 different things!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris K
who picked Hot Bodies as a contender at the worlds????? And they certainly went beyond 'contender'!

Let's all make mental 'notes' as to who these 'sponsored' drivers ARE, how they perform ON the track and how they perform AT the track - and we all know those are 2 different things!
Yea, really, who wouldv'e thunk it.
It just goes to show, you dont havta to have the most expensive, top notch car to win.

Your ????"s are good ones Chris, if you didn't ask them it'd be a matter of time before someone did.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chris K
Shane: Background on myself is probably NOT relevant to this discussion - MY principal concern is that I see people who are NOT top of the tree racers being 'sponsored' by a company that is trying to achieve recognition..... This (to my possibly over suspicious nature) tends to smell a bit more like scam then 'sponsorship'......

BUT, after reading the 'powers that be' posts it would appear to me that they honestly are trying to achieve what they say that they are! I just think that our little community is a bit too concerned about 'being sponsored' rather then honing driving skills, learning set ups and general maintenance of their vehicles so that they can be better drivers!

AND, it appears to me that there is a bit of 'value' to be recieved by these people in exchange for the money they pay to be 'sponsored'...... It apeals to their egos and IF that in turn makes them better racers then I would say that it's a reasonable trade off for their investment!

NOW, for my background!

I'm an older individual who has raced competitivly for 23 years. Started with my son and continued after he moved on to full scale cars. Have I won any National championships? NO! Not even close! BUT, I've had a whale of a lot of fun in this hobby not only competing BUT helping others. I to this day race ever opportunity I get - in some venues I'm competitive, in others I'm totally LOST but I enjoy the opportunity to participate! I primarily race off road nitro and GAS, love the Baja (it's like a BIG gas truck) enjoy 1/8th and love Slash!

Enough of that crud; yes, I've seen a lot of things come and go - most good, a few very BAD (remember the Kyosho Maxim FF?) but that goes with experience.

Do I have an agenda with Caster? Not really - I wanted to see some facts brought forward (which has happened) and I will be interested to see how this goes moving forward. Who knows, our next National champion might be driving a Caster! IF you think that's far fetched, who picked Hot Bodies as a contender at the worlds????? And they certainly went beyond 'contender'!

Chris, glad you asked and glad you are paying attention. I suppose it depends on how you look at it in general. Let's say you are a small company and you want to end up over time being a big company and you know no one in the industry. What do you do?

A.) Spend thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands of dollars on an ad campaign? At that point, we are still at square 1. Who is Caster Racing? Is it Xray, no. Is it himoto, maybe, should I buy it because of a cool ad? not sure.....

B.) Throw the whole system for a loop and offer products at pretty much cost (break even instead of burning up money) to people who are willing to risk it or try something new, etc..... and have a presence at tracks where we currently do not exist. We received a wide range of qualifications and a wide range of personalities, etc.... There are some names that are possibly recognizeable and some guys that have hardly any credibility, but they wanted to try to represent us to the best of their ability. People are not stupid and they know exactly what we are trying to do. It benefits them financially, and we are in an area with a car on a track. We take the risk of hoping we made the right decision and it is a 50/50 shot.

C.) Speaking of which....here is the whole system for a loop comment. There is nothing more infuriating for me than the current race rules for major events, etc.... Caster Racing makes everything from tires to starter boxes and since we make a complete car, we cannot give out sponsorships, but at the same time companies like Byron's and Proline can do whatever they want when everyone who races knows that tires are the most important thing a racer needs to be successful racing that particular day....but that is a different story all together.

D.) Is it a scam? How can it be? How is it different from the rumors that I heard that hotbodies was giving out free kits at a race? Are those guys 100% drivers?

If anyone wants to help us get into the mainstream and can think of a better way, please feel free to advise me and I am being honest and serious about it. We can use all the help we can get, but to be honest, I am following a practice that was done in my other life in the consumer electronics world...I just think that it hasn't ever been seen in the RC one....
Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

and I apologize for C.) being the world's longest run on sentence.....ha ha ha.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Name one "top of the tree" driver out there today that did not start out being sponsored by a small, not so recognized company. I race with a "top of the tree" national champion driver every week and he goes out of his way all the time to test out parts for small no name company's that he feels will make it in the market, but you never read about it anywhere. The point is everyone has to start some where and word of mouth is the best advertising there is.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparsrule
Name one "top of the tree" driver out there today that did not start out being sponsored by a small, not so recognized company. I race with a "top of the tree" national champion driver every week and he goes out of his way all the time to test out parts for small no name company's that he feels will make it in the market, but you never read about it anywhere. The point is everyone has to start some where and word of mouth is the best advertising there is.
Cmon Aaron there's no fast national champion in Az J/k
Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Moparsrule: Name one "top of the tree" driver out there today that did not start out being sponsored by a small, not so recognized company. I race with a "top of the tree" national champion driver every week and he goes out of his way all the time to test out parts for small no name company's that he feels will make it in the market, but you never read about it anywhere. The point is everyone has to start some where and word of mouth is the best advertising there is.

OK - how 'bout Jared Tebo??? Started out running Associated and Kyosho on his own (actually, at that time it was his Dad's dime) and then moved forward with full sponsorship from there! BUT, as you asked, name one, so I did!

AND, if you are in AZ, you certainly do race with a really nice young fellow who tends to be a bit below the radar in terms of some people's 'big names' list but in MY opinion is one of the most OVERALL talented people racing today - and of course I'm speaking of Billy Fischer! NICE young man and fast as heck - with ANYTHING he picks up!

So, I've asked all the questions I plan to ask for a bit - as I said in a previous post, let's see how these 'sponsored' drivers do both on and off of the track - THAT is what is going to tell the tale for Caster and this concept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.