R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #196
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

no other 1.5's other than chris'? I mean...we need more pics and discussion on this baby
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #197
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My 1.5R...

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #198
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
no other 1.5's other than chris'? I mean...we need more pics and discussion on this baby
Nothing really to discuss LOL! This buggy is AWESOME! I feel like I am driving a C-hub car again. People usually say PBS cars have some push and my OLD ZX1-R had a very slight push but this car for me has NONE. Takes a little more to setup this car to your liking than the old version but when you do, watch out! Amazing what some subtle changes on a new version can do for the handling and acceleration of a car.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #199
Tech Master

Hey Brian, I can get you a 7-port to replace the GRP
Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #200
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmsgt View Post
Hey Brian, I can get you a 7-port to replace the GRP
Yeah yeah!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #201
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmsgt View Post
Nothing really to discuss LOL! This buggy is AWESOME! I feel like I am driving a C-hub car again. People usually say PBS cars have some push and my OLD ZX1-R had a very slight push but this car for me has NONE. Takes a little more to setup this car to your liking than the old version but when you do, watch out! Amazing what some subtle changes on a new version can do for the handling and acceleration of a car.
there's always something to discuss..I just don't know what
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #202
Tech Adept

Pillow balls are supposed to do well in and out of a corner. They are also extremely good in the bumps. The drawback is some midcorner push and much harder to setup correctly with trackwidth and camber. With a setup board this is eliminated.

cam
camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #203
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
there are over 20 out there so far and climbing daily....I am sure pics will start showing up but people have to build them....
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #204
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

I should have mine up and running shortly.

Hopefully I can get some videos posted as well.
Rudy
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #205
Tech Master

I was comparing my old ZX1-R to my new 1.5 R and I noticed I have alot more preload spacers on the 1.5 compared to the ZX1R. I have none on the front of the old buggy and 1 medium on the 1.5 and one medium on the rear of the old buggy and 1 large and1 medium on the rear of the 1.5, all to get the ride heights the same. The 1.5r does not seem heavier by that much. I do have all CF on the old buggy except for towers and the lightened chassis. The 1.5 is stock. Would the CF and lightened chassis make that much of a difference to preload the shocks that much more?

OH I forgot I also have aluminum rear hubs on the old buggy which should make the rear heavier than the new one. Still have more spacers on the rear of the new one.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well, it time to hit the track with the new 1.5. We'll see how she does for the first time out of the stables. Will have some pics and set-up info and things I've changed throughout the day, up tomm. Wish me luck.

COBRA CAT KILLER!!!!
Dude C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #207
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

good luck homes!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #208
Tech Master

Well guys, I ran Hurricane today. We all had a pretty good day. I TQ'd Truggy and 2 K8T's were 1-2 in qual for Amain. I qualified 9th with the 1.5R for Amain buggy.

In buggy A-main I ended up last after the first turn. Had to work my way up and finished 3rd overall. This 1.5R is getting better and better! Should have seen the passes I was making between other cars, seems I can pretty much put the car wherever I want so easily its not funny.

BTW I ran the stock KIT tires today and were really good. Let my friend Bob Carhardt with a new 1.5R try them out in the second qualifier while I used the NEW Caster ZB01 and ZB02 tires. One set in front and the other in rear. WOW. These tires are awesome. Ran them the second qual and the 20 minute final and they held up awesome and had great traction and steering response.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #209
Tech Adept

Had a great report from John Spencer who had a cracking day at the HNMC Panther Proline wars series...

Only his second time out with the car (or rallycross in general!) and in the 3rd round ended up 6th overall against some very very good competition. Looking at his lap times he seems very consistent with it and is certainly settling in well.

Driver: John Spencer Car: Caster ZX1.5 R Engine: Caster MK II

Race: Pro Line/Panther Wars Rnd 4 - Ware, Hertfordshire UK

This was only my second meeting with the Caster ZX1.5 R, the first was at Frankley for the Answer RC Challenge. I am a newby to 1/8th rallycross having spent most of my R/C days in 1/10th.
The track at Ware is 99% Dirt with one or two jumps covered in astro turf.

On arrival i was quite suprised with how good the track looked, especially for this time of the year!!! There was a couple of icy patches on the track which later thawed and made the track very sticky off line.
My reasons for entering this event was to try the car on another surface and to gain track time, with drivers like Boots, Jackson, Chung, Craddock in attendance the competition was high.

Having never raced here before i had no idea on tyres or setup, i decided to try the Panther Komodo Dragon 2's as my rubber (Crimefighters were the correct choice). For setup, i decided to leave the car as per Mark Redmond setting.

Rnd 1:

I was placed in heat 2 which was the first heat of buggies, the track was very slick due to some icy patches but the car was handling very well. The power from the Caster MK II was more than enough and at times was diving down the inside of fellow participants!! Having run the car for a good 4 mins of practice before the start the car was well bed in and already i felt i could attack areas of the track. Straight from the go i was leading, on lap 3 disaster struck....... a new glow plug change at the beginning of the day + not done up properly = Came loose!!
Looking at the average from my times i was looking at a good top 12 score, this gave me more confidence as i now knew what the car was capable of.

Rnd 2:

A few ride height changes due to the track starting to cut up after rnd 1. I managed to put in quicker lap times but made far too many errors... the changes made the car very hard to attack the track as the increased ride height was slapping the car down through the bumpy sections. So after managing to finish the run i ended up 32nd in the round.

Rnd 3:

Last chance to gain those vital positions. I removed some of the spacers from the rear shock to lower the ride height, this was the only change as the car was still feeling pretty good overall. The track was very rutted in areas and was going to be a good test for car and driver.
>From the start i was able to drive the car fast, clean and comfortable, certain areas of the track had to be taken with caution as they were more like full blown ruts. I knew i had put in a half decent time as the run was pretty clean, especially considering the track conditions!! A good 8 laps with 10 sec split, this put me 6th for Rnd 3 in amongst the top drivers. It also put me 10th in the B main.

Final:

20 mins of racing on a by now totally blown out dirt track, it was going to be very difficult. I started pretty well and was running middle of the pack by the first pit stop, i was in a good position as the lead pack were only just ahead and i was edging closer to them. I managed to put myself in the mix just before the 2nd pit stop and entered the pit lane running 5th but only 4 seconds off the leader. The last 6 mins though were to be a real test as my left rear shock worked loose leaking all the shock fluid. This resulted in a car that could flip 2 feet in the air on any one of the ruts around the track, as time went on i fell further back and was not gonna be able to match the leaders. This was a shame as i felt the car deserved a place in the A main along side many National A drivers!! In the end i finished around 18th overall, which for a car pretty much out the box, wrong tyres and my first time at the track i felt was a good result.

I would like to thank Pete from Answer RC for the oppurtunity to be part of the Answer/Caster race team, Jimbo my pitman, The Raceplace and Tooley's RC toys for support. Really looking forward to my first year running 1/8th with the Answer-RC/Caster team.
Answer-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #210
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think that coming from 10th scale it will be an easy transition to buggy or truggy. I did the same thing a year ago and after 1 season of racing nitro ended up with 2 sponsors and possibly a 3rd. I still run alittle 10th scale but I am a nitro guy now. I belive Caster is going to turn alot of heads this year.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote