R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a D8 and I love it so far so I have no brand loyalty to any of the 3 you mentioned.

I would personally get the 8ight 2.0 out of those three. Most of the issues with the original 8ight seem to have been addressed and it is on the cutting edge of buggy design. You will have the most up to date buggy of the three.

The Z01B is a high quality buggy from what I understand and is supposed to be very durable but it's based on older tech with the layout and smaller shocks. I believe that they already are testing new parts to bring it up with the rest of the pack.

I think the RC8 is a very good buggy but it is a little older and some expect a update pretty soon. I also think I would want to update to big bore shocks of I bought one.
x195svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thanks for all the help...

To everyone who answered my question, thank you very much. It helped a ton....

Alan, thank you very much for making my decision easier. I was leaning towards the 2.0 and now I know for sure...I hope you don't mind but I will be sending you a e-mail with some more questions..Again thanks to everyone...

Mike
motomike122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

cool Mike, I'll be looking
Old 11-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Cant go wrong with the Losi thats for sure. I have no brand loyalty-I have owned all of the above buggies and like the Mugen best..

The RC8 and the Losi do not handle the same at all. The rc8 has many fragile areas...drive shafts bend easy,the tank isuue is ongoing and ruins engines etc. You need to spend 100 plus for big bores and on top of that you have to move the rec. battery up to the front of the car to make it handle properly (keep up with other designs).
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say the 2.0 also even though I currently race z01-b which I really do like and is rock solid (and have a Truggy coming) but I came from the 8ight & 8ight T it seems like they have fixed the few durability issues with them. I really never had the problems that alot of people did but I seen them, cause NOTHING drives like a Losi and I have drove them all. I would probably go back to the Losi but I don't like 8 of 10 cars in the main be the same company I like to different so I'll stick with the Odonnell.
ASATRUGGYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Xray XB808

Please consider the new Xray XB808, its tough as nails and very very competitive. Also its cheap to run and maintain. It is the lightest and most high tech race buggy on the market.

Your average racer will finish races, and upper level racers will win with this platform!

Get one.... period!
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

The 808 without a doubt is the nicest buggy out now, except for the price tag. So I picked up a D8 and it's a great buggy, cheep too.
FG101C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Really the XRAY??? What about it is so good or better than others. Please keep in mind I am get into RC buggies (i have had a RC10gt and a HPI RS4) but nothing like one of these..Cost isn't a issue.....Thanks, MIke
motomike122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Big plus on Xray is there overall performance and durability. Not much bling, a car made of greyish and black color parts.

Please take your time to fully read and understand the review written on oOple

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/review808/

This is an independant review made by a racer
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The XRay is supposed to have some of the best parts quality, fit, and finish in RC. The Mugen MBX 6 is on par with XRay on quality as well as Kyosho but kyosho is severly overpriced in my opinion.

I know that mugen makes a great buggy and I really wanted one but I went with a Hotbodies D8 because of the price and very no nonsense type of design. I don't have the money to buy a 600$ buggy plus all the other parts required to get it running. It doesn't have any carbon fiber or a real expensive trick look to it although it doesn't look bad either, but it handles real well and is very stable but fast at the same time. The buggy is very capable and it can be just as fast as the big expensive kits. It showed this at the worlds. I also like being a bit different than most.

There are alot good buggies out there but out of your picks the Losi 2.0 would be my choice as I said above.
x195svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Of the three you have listed, if it were my buying decision I would take the Losi 8ight 2.0. I have owned the RC8 and the original 8ight and preferred the 8ight. The 2.0 is supposed to be even better than the original.
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike122 View Post
Really the XRAY??? What about it is so good or better than others. Please keep in mind I am get into RC buggies (i have had a RC10gt and a HPI RS4) but nothing like one of these..Cost isn't a issue.....Thanks, MIke
The question is what isn't new or better than others? LOL!

The rundown...:
- Materials and quality control are everything! Xray makes EVERYTHING in house, nothing is subbed out to china like Losi's, Hot bodies, or other brands. I'm not totally knocking other brands, as subbing to china is a great way to make cheaper cars. However quality control and constancy goes down when materials and parts are made out of house. Some might argue this is not true, but they are just wrong.

- All the steel is a patented Hudy developed spring steel. This is some of the strongest steel used in the RC industry, and only used on Xray cars. (patented)

- The plastics are absolutely the strongest, always bubble free, and are leaps above the cars that use the somewhat inconsistent china made plastic parts.

- The Xray carbon fiber is made from the tightest, highest quality fiber weave available today, this stuff is unbelievable!

- The design of the car is based on the all new narrow chassis & weight centered race buggy design. With this new design, the 808 can be setup to handle anything that gets thrown your way at a race.

- This is the lightest buggy on the market, so it wont beat itself to death when crashing. It jumps as well, or better than any other buggy on the market because its so light, and is perfectly balanced side-to-side and front to back.

- There are no e-clips or set screws holding things together like on other cars. Even the drive train is 100% captured, reducing the likelihood of DNS's. I personally finished 18 races in a row this year with my 808 and have the online results to prove it. This car is so strong!

Here are some links to the 808 stats and pics on Xrays site:
http://teamxray.com/teamxray/m_intro...9bdc109f5296c3

Also Xray has created an online setup system unlike anything else available. This helps keep track of your setups at different tracks, and share setups with other Xray racers. You can also keep your setups private if your developing secret setups... LOL!
http://forum.teamxray.com/xsheets.php

I hope this helps.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I looked into the weights of the cars at the worlds to see what was the lightest. I had asked one of the tech guys....

At the worlds it seems the losi was the lightest car.

What does the new xray come in at? Do you know what the 2.0 weighs?

I'm just curious as I notice a few manf. and people claim a certain car is the "lightest" of all the cars.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #29
Tech Adept

First off, let me say that (a) there is a bit of brand loyalty going on here which is very understandable and (b) I don't know what you should buy,out of the three buggies you listed.
I just wanted to sorta add to the RC8 comments just in case anyone has one lined up and is put off by the comments above afetr a google search hahaha:

(1) the only real weak points in the RC8 are the front upper arms. They are what $8 a pair so, hey, buy a few. Or Integy etc alloy ones are $28.
It is annoying when people cite strength issues on a certain component, and in reality it may be only 2 or 3 people at the same club who hit the same pole at 40mph and suddenly it is on the web forums and it must be so.

(2) no big bores. At least 50% of us can't drive well enough to notice I think. IMHO that is!!! Those who spend time reading all the setup and car handling info, plus trying and testing different setups will always be ahead of the guy who buys what everyone reckons we 'have to have' and then doesn't test / prepare / read up as much. If you are still that worried, a set of BB's from another car is like $60

(3) fuel tanks. The latest (second version of the WHITE tank) Gen3 tank is fine. Even if you have problems, an XRay 808 tank drops right in, and others fit with very small modifications. Maybe factor a $20 tank into your sums if buying a RC8.
At any rate, I bought a second hand (though not built yet) RC8 in Australia. I asked Associated about tanks and they sent me a new one for free. No queations asked. Even though my Gen 1 tank was not faulty (yet)

(4) info on setup etc: the RC8 forums which are regularly reaplied to by Associated personnel and pro drivers (and setup sheets provided) are as good as any other manufacturer, and the Team drivers share just as much info.

In short..... in considering a new kit and all of them are damned fine pieces of gear, price helps to a small extent. If you can get an RC8 for $150 less than a 8ight 2.0 or Xray 808 or Z01B, then that difference buys a few sets of the more fragile parts, some fuel and two sets of tyres :-)
And really who cares... we all drive it like we stole it ;-)
Mark_Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would say go with what ever car you are leaning more to. If you change your mind and go with a different car then what you thought you wanted and you are not happy with what you got then you will more than likely dump the one you got and spend some more $ and get another kit.

I am slowly learning that if you dont like a certain car because of the way it handles stick with it start learning more about set up and get the car to handle the way you want it to, all of the kits that have been mentioned are all awesome kits, and in the hands of a good driver can out run one another. I myself was quick to dump a kit and not spend much time trying to get it to handle.

As mentioned in some other post be aware of some of the negative responses about some of the kits unless it is coming from a reliable source.
scapbell7 is offline   Reply With Quote