R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Which engine to buy?

Looking to get a new engine but I can't decide which one to buy! I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Jammin JPX-21, Picco P7 Evo 3, GRP Un-tuned (because of the price), or I have a friend that can get me a Novarossi P5 with a 7 port upgrade.

What engine will be the best for Rev (Revelation Raceway)? I run a Matrix Pro so it's a bit of a heavy car. Also, I just bought a PCR 2027 for the last motor I blew up so I want to run that pipe.
shotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to ryanroma Send a message via MSN to ryanroma Send a message via Yahoo to ryanroma

I see you don't have any GO Tech engines on there, and I have heard a lot of really good stuff about their engines especially the .25 and the .21 3 port race engine, you should check them out as well.
ryanroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i believe the 2027 pipe that you have is made for the picco based engines, i have run the grp tuned and it was a good engine that was easy to tune has pretty good power, the piccos produce alot of power for the money, another good engine is the os vspecs and ninja jx
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i friend of mine has the jammin engine in a buggy and it seemed to be pretty fast.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=8834

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...dproduct=10021

Here is an idea...

I would personally go with the GRP line. Tuned if at any way possible. You can utilize the free shipping, 10% off, etc and get a good deal. But the reason I say to go GRP is it is super smooth power, fast, and some of the best run time of any engine. I remember just a few months back trying so hard to go 10-11 minutes at big races only to fall short. With my GRP's 10 minutes(in buggy) is not hard at all. Fact is on a large track my "new" engines have always went well over 9 minutes. Believe me or not but those same engines when in the prime have went over 13 minutes(13:35) on a large track at race speed. If you can tune the ability for great runtimes is there.

Another thing I would consider is that if you go GRP( I see REV is your local place) then you have the support from Horizon/ Losi as that is the track they test and frequent every week. Just look up Adam, Mike or any of the other guys.

You will be happy
Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default motor

You can get the Picco EVO 3 Buggy motor at Nitro House for $249, it's $279 most places. This is going to be my next motor, I had the chance to run this motor in my friends car and it is sick fast and after 1 gallon it still has new motor pinch at TDC. It uses std. plugs has great low and killer top end and he still had over a 1/4 tank of fuel after a 6 min qualifyer and thats good for a picco. I just don't think the GRP is $120 faster actually I know it's not!
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
You can get the Picco EVO 3 Buggy motor at Nitro House for $249, it's $279 most places. This is going to be my next motor, I had the chance to run this motor in my friends car and it is sick fast and after 1 gallon it still has new motor pinch at TDC. It uses std. plugs has great low and killer top end and he still had over a 1/4 tank of fuel after a 6 min qualifyer and thats good for a picco. I just don't think the GRP is $120 faster actually I know it's not!
Marcus. I have been researching these engines for awhile. I have spoken to 2 different Pro engine mod guys, and they both say that the carb on the new Picco sucks. They both told me to stick with the Jammin JPX .21 It's virtually the same engine, but the jammin has a smoother powerband, a better carb, and a better connecting rod. Look into it. get in touch with Maximo, and Powermods
Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Alan makes a good point. You know you'll get great support on the GRP motor. Thats really half the battle!
Revo-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Whats the main difference (beside the color) between the tuned and no-tuned version of the GRP? Amain Hobbies has the Non-tuned for only $244! When I saw that, I thought it was a mistake!

A lot of people say the Jammin is a really good engine and has better bearings than most other motors. Also, it's a 7 port and can run Turbo plugs. I don't know about the run times on it but I hope it's up there with the GRP. The GRP sounds enticing if it really gets 10 min run times for $244!
shotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

buy my engine, its a rb s7 l2g, about 2 1/2 gallons, runs great, 125.00 shipped
Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Marcus. I have been researching these engines for awhile. I have spoken to 2 different Pro engine mod guys, and they both say that the carb on the new Picco sucks. They both told me to stick with the Jammin JPX .21 It's virtually the same engine, but the jammin has a smoother powerband, a better carb, and a better connecting rod. Look into it. get in touch with Maximo, and Powermods
I can just tell you what I have seen, My friends motor rocks and is super easy to tune. The JPX is a turbo plug 5 port motor the EVO 3 is a 7 port non turbo motor, it's basicly the new $360 LRP ZR .21X and has the same carb as the LRP and the $360 ORION CRF .21 and OFNA service is good to. The GRP is a great motor, but IMO so is the Picco.
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Personally, I run the GRP Tuned. It is an awsome engine, but your right, it is kinda spendy. I dont know about the Non Tuned version. It's GRP so it cant be all that bad.

I also have a Jammin .21 . It has Gobb's of power, and for Rev it would be sweet for that mile long straight away!! Since you say your running a heavy car, the Jammin would be a good choice IMO. I think you can pick those up for about 230.00 or so.

Your on the right track. All the engines you mention are good choices.
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I too run the GRP tuned engine in my Revo PE this summer.. excellent running engine , reliable starter, used 2 plugs all summer, and also 12 plus minutes per tank.. I run my trucks hard.no holding back...
NDHotbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #14
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

p5xs !!!! engine does not need any help to sell , nova is the best , period !!!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
Tech Addict

I would go with a motor that has stood the test of time and reliabilty. I like RB and OS motors. Ive also seen good things from the ExTech Tuned and Modded motors. Alot of guys around here have had lots of trouble with the GRP motors, but I haven't run any yet. I've just been hearing alot from the LOSI/GRP guys and they aren't happy with em yet.
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote