R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Tech Master

I have several picco motors & like them the best with the JP-3 pipe. I paid $219 for the jammin version @ amain & it is suppose to be the same as evo 2. I also have the evo 2 & paid a lot more for it & it feels the same as jammin only it dont go on sale below $240. I also have the original evo & loved it,again all on JP-3 pipe. I have not used or even seen the evo3 so cant compair but have heard they smoothed out the bottom in it compaired to evo 2/jammin. I can tell you this ,NONE of the new style motors have higher quality bearings than the others since they have gone to that oddball 25.4mm rear bearing unless you spend the money on one like the speed that comes with a ceramic rear bearing.I was told by 2 bearing sellers that they sell out of this size routinly because everybody uses that size now & their all going bad because they all came from the same MFG.replacement ceramics from TKO are less than $25 for the rear so not a big deal really.I laso dont have the new grp motor but had the last popular motor they made(ninja) & they make good motors too but that motor killed the original bearing fast just like 2 of my picco motors did & just like my v-spec did.All but the original P-7 went in under 5 gallons & 14 gal for the old P-7.You say you have a heavy truck then the jammin motor is the one for you if you use the JP-3 pipe, for the pipe you already have call rob at nitrohouse & ask what it will do to the picco motor(was his favorite pipe for several years) but I can also tell you with the evo,evo2,or jammin motors with a pipe that moves a heavy truck really well theres no way in hell you'll get 10 min run time. 9 min is do able with the piccos but very risky even if tuned perfectly. I see guys do 10 min with v-specs & GRPs all the time but you gotta pay if you wanna play that long. How long are the mains where you race? 15 min? Then everybody makes 1 pit no matter how much your pipe/motor combo costs because I dont think theres a motor out there that cant do 7.5 min. If they do 20 min mains then the extra $125-200 for a combo that will go 11 min might be worth it to you. A pit stop is longer than the 5 seconds it takes to fill the tank, you gotta leave the track go somewhat slow in pit lane then rejoin the race & every time you pit you take the chance of something bad happening like your pit guy not being ready or soaking your brakes or tangling with another car in pit lane or having a flame out for some odd reason or another or getting smacked in the ass if you pull out in front of someone at the end of the straight, where most pits rejoin the track. Is it worth paying more for the motor/pipe combo than you did for the car?

Done rambling now buy the Jammin motor.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you check out ModHobby They are having a Black friday sale week, the Non tuned GRP is going for 229.99. They also have a good selection fo motors on sale.

Jimmy
shu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotime View Post
Looking to get a new engine but I can't decide which one to buy! I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Jammin JPX-21, Picco P7 Evo 3, GRP Un-tuned (because of the price), or I have a friend that can get me a Novarossi P5 with a 7 port upgrade.

What engine will be the best for Rev (Revelation Raceway)? I run a Matrix Pro so it's a bit of a heavy car. Also, I just bought a PCR 2027 for the last motor I blew up so I want to run that pipe.
Out of the motors you have listed hands down the novarossi. These motors have a great life span and are very strong both bottom and top. Just from my experiences I never had to good of luck with the piccos and have never owned a grp.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend the Jammin JPX-21
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Default jp 8 port engine

has anyone here tested a JP FX 21 b- 8t engine? how is the tuning and power band of it?
novaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:39 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jrock32

I have owned/run the Jammin and Nova P5. I didnt like the P5 much. I think it is built very well, but thought it lacked top end and didnt think it performed very well.
The Jammin was great for about 5 gallons, then I had to pinch it, replace bearings and now it needs a rod. It was super fast and got decent run time...I know have an evo IV, which is one of the smoothest motors I have ever run and it gets 8 min, no problem.
I also bought a Ninja JX and that is probably the best motor I have ever run. I paired it w/ the 2050 and it rocks! Top end, bottom end, any end you want! And the runtime is awesome, even w/ the stock restrictor I can get 9 min w/o a problem...Plus, w/ the ebay cash back I paid $217 shipped to my door!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for all the advise guys! I actually ended up getting the hard to get Novarossi 367 from Chris Nunez at Fusion. For what I paid, nothing would compare! I'll let you guys know how it feels after I break it in and get some track time on it!
shotime is offline   Reply With Quote