Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5T Clean Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Thumbs up MBX5T Clean Up

Well, I don't have much of a life, and have WAAAAAAY to much time on my hands...

So, I took the time of photographing the tear down of a MBX5T for cleaning and maintaining...

So, this is the way I tear down the MBX5T for ease of cleaning and maintaining..

Tools you will need: (I know this isnt everything, but a good start)
1.5, 2.0, 2.5MM Hex drivers, and screw gun if you have one, needle nose plyers, screw driver, Q-Tips, rags, and Simple Green (Basics)

1st, start off with a dirty truggy:

Now, remove 3 screws on the sterring Carbon Fiber. One over the servo saver, one to the front support, and one over the other steering post

Then remove the front 2.5MM screws to remove the front skid plate, and remove the next 2 2.5mm screws

Next remove the screwheads from the outter steering arms, and lift the whole front end off the chassis

Remove the Fuel Tank (2 screws and fuel lines

Next remove the Engine and Pipe

Next, remove 4 2.5mm screws from the bottom rear, to remove the rear assembly.

Clean out the screws and remove the circled screws to remove electronics tray, Center Diff, and mud guards. (A couple of them are not seen in Pic

Now you have it broken down to the main pieces:

Clean the Chassis, Fuel Tank and Mug guards with simple green and and brush. Wipe off with rags.

Now, remove set screws on upper hinge pins, left and right. Remove Hinge Pins, and make sure to catch the spacers when you pull the pins out.

Now remove the lower hinge pins with a hex driver and needle nose holding the nut on the back. Loosen set screws on Sway bars, and remove sway bars.

Now you have the front mainly torn down.

Disassemble the rear in much the same fashion.

At this level, you can do a good job cleaning your Truggy

I will post more on tearing down the Diffs and rebuilding them another time..

I will also post more, on reassembing later also (Although, you can just reverse the process to put it back togather)

Hope this helps someone new to the MBX5T on making it easy to clean and Maintain..

Make sure you spray down your steel parts with something like WD40 to prevent rusting after a race, and after cleaning. (Drive shafts, out drives, centrer diff gear, bearings, etc...)

Let me know what you think!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You break it down a lot more than I do. I normally just remove the radio tray and engine and go to town with the simple green and then blow it off with a compressor and then give it a nice layer of WD-40.

Maybe I should start breaking it down more when I clean her up.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Well, after each full race weekend, I like to do a COMPLETE tear down to look for worn, or broken parts.

I also rebuild my Diffs after ever race weekend.. And look at my shocks to make sure they are not leaking..

But thats just me...

(FYI, I have not had a single mechanical failure all season)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default clean

Yep you have to have a lot of time on our hands to clean your truck like that every race weekend. If I had the time I would do mine the same. This is how you avoid those simple breakdowns at the track. Good presentation!! what do you use(glue) to keep those fuel line holders to the fuel tank??PM Me
Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mik G
Yep you have to have a lot of time on our hands to clean your truck like that every race weekend. If I had the time I would do mine the same. This is how you avoid those simple breakdowns at the track. Good presentation!! what do you use(glue) to keep those fuel line holders to the fuel tank??PM Me
fuel line should be kept away from pipe, and any other heat.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, just simple crazy Glue to hold them.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

hey who makes the duel fuel filter holders???