Search

Glow plug chart - is there one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Glow plug chart - is there one?

Similar to the tuned pipe thread.

Has anyone made up a glow plug 'equivalency' chart? For example my Go Tech 5 port .21 engine will run WELL on LRP #6, RB #6 or OS P3 from what I can gather. That makes no sense as LRP say the #6 is for 10-16% nitro in a .15 motor ideally. They also call it a medium plug.... but OS call their P3 an ultra hot. Pretty damn different descriptions!!!!!

It is annoying that one brand calls a turbo #6 medium whilst another brand is medium-cold (for the same number) etc.

At least when you buy racing spark plugs many companies state theirs is equivalent to NGK or Champion number 8 and so on.

Has anyone had the time to make chart showing what plugs have equivalent heat ratings?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 353 (100%+)
Default glow plug chart

check this link out http://www.osengines.com/accys/glowplugs.html
Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry dude I don't think you read my post. Seen the OS chart many many times.

I'm talking about equivalent heat ratings in different brands.

EG: what is the same as an OS P3?
EG2: what other manufacturer's plug is in between a LRP #6 and #7?

I mean a simple chart showing OS hottest to coldest running down the page, and next column LRP hottest to coldest running down the page and next column RB hot-coldest etc etc BUT so they line up..... so you can look across the top line and see "ok there is nothing as hot as a OS p3. Next line down, reading across a P4 is same as LRP #5 and same as RB #6 and same as a O'Donnel 777.... etc etc"

Hope that makes sense, I can't put in this post what I mean as when I type an example chart the formatting stuffs it up.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I hope someone has made a chart to post . I`ve been wondering about the same thing .
Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark_Australia
Similar to the tuned pipe thread.

Has anyone made up a glow plug 'equivalency' chart? For example my Go Tech 5 port .21 engine will run WELL on LRP #6, RB #6 or OS P3 from what I can gather. That makes no sense as LRP say the #6 is for 10-16% nitro in a .15 motor ideally. They also call it a medium plug.... but OS call their P3 an ultra hot. Pretty damn different descriptions!!!!!

It is annoying that one brand calls a turbo #6 medium whilst another brand is medium-cold (for the same number) etc.

At least when you buy racing spark plugs many companies state theirs is equivalent to NGK or Champion number 8 and so on.

Has anyone had the time to make chart showing what plugs have equivalent heat ratings?

all glowplugs heat ranges are different by manufacturer ..there is no standard on numbers and ranges..so ones medium cannot always be anothers medium ...there is no chart that i have found ...and i have looked .....most time people find a glow plug brand that there happy with and go with what they offer ....your best bet is to go to manufacturers web sites and find a brand that offers a spectrum of heat ranges that looks like will cover what you want and go with it .....i gave up along time ago and went with odonells ...they last longer and are cheaper than most brands ....they have
med - cold medium and hot ....i have not found any motor they dont work and last well in ....and when you drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out ..then move on to lenghts ,tapper, and all that good stuff that make glow plugs even more non-uniform seems like there would be a standard but there isnt ....also you may just go to the motor threads here for the motor your running and see what people say works well and also how they compare ...sorry bro its one of the long standing questions i have had ....i just got over it and picked my brand

p.s. if your running a go 5port ...try an odonells 97t or 77t ....you wont be dissapointed ...last way longer and idles smooth and good
Old 11-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

also found this for ya ....just interesting

GLOW PLUG
A glow plug’s temperature range is critical to proper performance. Small-block engines generally use warm to hot glow plugs, while big-block engines use plugs in the colder range. If you choose a plug in the wrong temperature range, you could be chasing the tune of your engine till the sun goes down. Changes of the relative temperature of the glow plug can be beneficial, however.

A combination of compression, heat and a catalytic reaction between the platinum in the glow-plug coil and the methanol in the fuel creates combustion in a nitro engine. Altering the heat range of your glow plug can alter the timing of the combustion process. Nitro engines don’t have an ignition system that can be used to advance or retard combustion timing, but a hotter plug that causes ignition a little earlier in the combustion process can have the same effect. “Advancing” the ignition timing can increase overall power output, especially at higher rpm. There are limits, however, and installing too hot a plug causes pre-ignition (detonation) and risks damaging your engine.

It’s a challenge to figure out a glow plug’s temperature range. Manufacturers don’t use a consistent and universal standard to rate the temperature ranges of their glow plugs. You will probably know the temperature of a plug relative to others within a given product line, but currently, no rating system allows comparisons among manufacturers. Here again, plain old experience with a variety of glow plugs will help you to know which are best for the effect you want.

“Reading” the glow plug is a tuning technique advanced by Ron Paris. It suggests that looking at the glow plug tells you something about how your engine is running. The element in a glow plug will turn gray in an engine that is close to the optimum fuel mixture. This method requires a new glow plug, as the element will eventually turn gray regardless of the needle settings; the length of time it takes to turn gray is the issue. Plugs that turn gray in just a tank or two of fuel (running at race pace, not diddling around) indicate a fuel mixture close to ideal—but also close to trouble. If the plug stays wet and shiny for a few tanks of fuel, you’re in the safe zone; a little rich but safe. When the plug wire gets distorted or broken, however, you’re in real trouble. It’s a sure sign that the mixture is way too lean, or that there is too much compression and the engine is detonating.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

here ya go..
http://www.outlawrc.com/glowplugs.htm
Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

I don`t think he means the same numbers but a cross reference . Like O.S. medium is this number , RB medium is this number , and so on .
Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by helivaguy
Thanks , exactly what I wanted .
Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+ 1 good info there guys. thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Hey heluvaguy thanks for that link to outlawrc their info is good!

That is 90% of the way there ;-) I'd just like to see somebody put it all together so it shows what plugs are the same heat range so we can see for eg that a Novarossi medium is same os OS Medium-cold and the same as RB hot.

Reason I ask is I am 150mi from a LHS and even the shops in Aust I can order from often don't have what I want. The other day I had a choice of ONE turbo plug....