R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic
 
Bill Wyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 865
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Mine was totally killing the bottom end in my Mugen truggy so I took it apart...got a Dremel and lightly ground all the way around the shoes...put them back in and problem went away.

Smoothest grippiest clutch I've ever used. If you get too much low rpm grab then change one carbon set out for the glass set.

I noticed I had two packages of springs...both said they were Hard springs but the packages had different part numbers. You can pretty much tell which are harder by pulling/bending them.

I like how this clutch setup works...it seems to be real easy on the clutch bearings and the clutchbells.
Bill Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
Tech Adept
 
wriffwraff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 131
Default fioroni two shoe clutch system

i recently installed a two shoe, blue glass fioroni clutch system on my truggy. i've had the system for well over a month now, but the weather has not allowed me to test it off road. however, so far, on pavement, i prefer it over a three shoe system, as it has similar punch and power [onroad] and is much easier to install. nonetheless, i'm still a little concerned with others comments regarding low end bogging and performance. therefore, i'm curious to know which springs and shoes are proven in the truggy class (?) i ask b/c i've read that the stock fioroni springs are too weak for truggies, so i tried to order some hard springs from amainhobbies, but they're on backorder. hopefully, i'll get em' next order. also, the " loose flywheel " comments are concerning to me b/c i had to dremel a flywheel collet to get the fioroni flywheel to torque onto the engine/crankshaft properly. in the past, i've never had to dremel a collet to get the flywheel to torque and seat properly. this considered, i'm wondering if others have experienced any flywheel issues at the track (?) i mean, i sure hope this thing doesn't break loose on me... seems as if the crankshaft hole in the flywheel is too big

note: i plan to run .21's with this system. i went with the blue shoes b/c the description suggests that the blue shoes offer some of the grab of the black carbon shoes and some of the longevity of the white shoes. i also steered clear of the four shoe set up and went with the two shoe set up b/c some users state that the four shoe set up is more difficult than the two shoe set up.
wriffwraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Since we're talking Fiorini clutches, has anyone tried the Vario with all aluminium shoes? A worthwhile investment for a .21 in a buggy? Characteristics? Longevity?
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriffwraff View Post
i recently installed a two shoe, blue glass fioroni clutch system on my truggy. i've had the system for well over a month now, but the weather has not allowed me to test it off road. however, so far, on pavement, i prefer it over a three shoe system, as it has similar punch and power [onroad] and is much easier to install. nonetheless, i'm still a little concerned with others comments regarding low end bogging and performance. therefore, i'm curious to know which springs and shoes are proven in the truggy class (?) i ask b/c i've read that the stock fioroni springs are too weak for truggies, so i tried to order some hard springs from amainhobbies, but they're on backorder. hopefully, i'll get em' next order. also, the " loose flywheel " comments are concerning to me b/c i had to dremel a flywheel collet to get the fioroni flywheel to torque onto the engine/crankshaft properly. in the past, i've never had to dremel a collet to get the flywheel to torque and seat properly. this considered, i'm wondering if others have experienced any flywheel issues at the track (?) i mean, i sure hope this thing doesn't break loose on me... seems as if the crankshaft hole in the flywheel is too big

note: i plan to run .21's with this system. i went with the blue shoes b/c the description suggests that the blue shoes offer some of the grab of the black carbon shoes and some of the longevity of the white shoes. i also steered clear of the four shoe set up and went with the two shoe set up b/c some users state that the four shoe set up is more difficult than the two shoe set up.
The way that the fioroni flywheel is designed, it requires the use of a shorter collet. I use losi collets on mine and they work purfectly. You will probably have to use a shim behind the collet to keep the flywheel far enough away from the front bearing/block. You can also use a normal sized collet and shave it down like you did. As long as it tightened all the way down when you installed it you won't have any problems.

I run a turbo twin 2007 slider(4 medium sized shoes) with carbon shoes and 2 stiff/hard springs. I have run this setup in both my buggy and truggy with great results. I feel that the clutch has plenty of SNAP for a truggy.

I have 8 gallons on this setup and its still going strong. I believe I have changed the clutch bearings like 3 times during that time(in a losi which is unheard of).

I followed this mod here by littlemotor and the clutch is amazing.
http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/in...howtopic=15695
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3 View Post
It is a great clutch. But for anyone who says it kills bottom end power is probably running old springs. Always keep a set of new springs on hand with this clutch. Although the shoes last forever, the springs still need to be replaced as often as any other clutch.

Brand new out of the package Hard springs would sagg in a matter of minutes from my experience...we shortened them to only have the clutch still sagg....im not a fan of the fioroni.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

The Turbo Sliding Clutch series is very good. I recommend using the OT-FR56 black 4 shoe clutch or the OT-FR52 black 2 shoe clutch. You can also mix the white shoes with either one, which I have done with very good results. The stock springs work fine, and if you need more punch, try the stiffer springs. When using the 4 shoe setup (OT-FR56) I normally use the stiff springs in the thinner shoes.

The Vario clutch is also good from what I have heard. I have not yet tried one, but a buddy ran one in his DM-1 (on road rally car based on buggy) and he said it was very good.

The new Quattro clutch is also available now; similar to the Vario clutch clutch but with 4 shoes instead of 3, and 2 tension settings (#2 and #3) instead of 3 settings.
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #22
Tech Adept
 
wriffwraff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 131
Default thanks for the replies...

a special thanks to jamminkrazy for offering up some guidance on the fioroni clutch. again, i ran it pretty rough on the asphalt awhile back, so it looks like i have it set up properly. oh well, if it holds up and performs off road, guess i'll order another full set up. perhaps the black carbon shoes this time around for performance comparison.
wriffwraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Tech Regular
 
tristyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CRESCENT CITY CA. NORTHERN TIP OF CALIFORNIA
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I have a question about the fioroni slider. I have been running the fioroni slider for about 2 yrs. with good success. Mostly in a .28 for truggy. Currently in a GRP.28. Clutch grabs good has plenty of bottom using standard springs. In my buggy I am running A GRP.21 using a fioroni slider with standard springs and this engine just has no bottom end. Runs strong on top end. If I were to install stiff springs to allow the engine to spool a little higher before engaging do you think this would solve or help my bottom end problem. I am running my engines with Byrons gen2 30% and JP3 and or JP4 PIPE. Thanks for any suggestions.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Which of the turbo sliding shoes do you use? Stiffer springs would definitely help.

New Quattro clutch: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/33289
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #25
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
I have a question about the fioroni slider. I have been running the fioroni slider for about 2 yrs. with good success. Mostly in a .28 for truggy. Currently in a GRP.28. Clutch grabs good has plenty of bottom using standard springs. In my buggy I am running A GRP.21 using a fioroni slider with standard springs and this engine just has no bottom end. Runs strong on top end. If I were to install stiff springs to allow the engine to spool a little higher before engaging do you think this would solve or help my bottom end problem. I am running my engines with Byrons gen2 30% and JP3 and or JP4 PIPE. Thanks for any suggestions.

you are experiencing the common fioroni bog on bottom....it IS the clutch and has nothing to do with the motor...and imo its just the way these clutch's work on race .21's your .28 has more then enough power to overcome that bog your feeling.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #26
Tech Regular
 
tristyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CRESCENT CITY CA. NORTHERN TIP OF CALIFORNIA
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Integra, is there a clutch system you can suggest that does not require maint. every time I run. My experience with the common 3 shoe aluminum is that you have to replace bearings and file or clean the alum. shoes often.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriffwraff View Post
a special thanks to jamminkrazy for offering up some guidance on the fioroni clutch. again, i ran it pretty rough on the asphalt awhile back, so it looks like i have it set up properly. oh well, if it holds up and performs off road, guess i'll order another full set up. perhaps the black carbon shoes this time around for performance comparison.
No problem man!
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
I have a question about the fioroni slider. I have been running the fioroni slider for about 2 yrs. with good success. Mostly in a .28 for truggy. Currently in a GRP.28. Clutch grabs good has plenty of bottom using standard springs. In my buggy I am running A GRP.21 using a fioroni slider with standard springs and this engine just has no bottom end. Runs strong on top end. If I were to install stiff springs to allow the engine to spool a little higher before engaging do you think this would solve or help my bottom end problem. I am running my engines with Byrons gen2 30% and JP3 and or JP4 PIPE. Thanks for any suggestions.
Stiffer springs definately would help.

I definately don't buy the "fioroni bottom end bog" theory. Run stiff springs and change them every few gallons. I have run mine in a truggy with .21 engines for 8 gallons.... no bottom end bog what so ever. I ran my v-spec with the stock losi 4 shoe with 4 khz aluminum shoes, 2 gold , 2 silver springs, back to back with the fioroni turbo twin 2007, black carbon shoes, 2 stiff springs. Exact same performance. Definately no bogging.

There is no reason you should feel any bog with this clutch(when set up correctly) especially in a buggy.

I would also reccomend scuffing the inside of your clutch bell and the contact patch of the shoes with some fine grit sandpaper. I use a foam sandpaper pad for this. I will try to find a link.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

here is the link

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...6&ddkey=Search
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
Tech Regular
 
tristyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CRESCENT CITY CA. NORTHERN TIP OF CALIFORNIA
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

JAMMINKRAZY, Thanks for the reply. I use a fine sandpaper to clean my clutch bell and maintain the carbon shoes. The clutch is grabbing good, I think my problem is that this engine is a mid and top end engine and my clutch shoes are engaging to soon and not giving me the snap I like. I will try stiffer springs.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8T 2.0 polarismaster Nitro Off-Road 15880 02-02-2015 10:31 AM
New Hot Bodies Buggy!!??????? monsteraddict Nitro Off-Road 14489 03-18-2013 01:42 PM
Fioroni Turbo sliding clutch 2007...bogging. vti-chris Nitro Off-Road 34 07-20-2009 08:49 AM
(((((losi 8b and 8t w/mucho parts , starter box and a few more extras ))))) houston R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 159 01-20-2009 10:10 PM
!!!MUGEN MBX5-R ROLLER, SBB, FIORONI!!! superx421 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-12-2008 11:59 AM
Melaka Track BACK IN ACTION!!! coolfuel Malaysian R/C Racers 200 10-27-2004 02:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:49 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net