R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)
Default Losi starter box............good choice?

I was wondering if anyone that has owned it, or is currently using it, please chime in and tell me how its working out for you. I just got a 8ight and would like to have the Losi box if its decent. I have used TTR/AE boxes in past with no problems, but like the looks of the Losi and Im getting a new Novarossi, so I need a dependable box for the break-in process, I plan on running 7.2v 3600mah stick packs in it. Thanks for any help TW
pwnzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Spend a little more money and get the new OFNA truggy starter box with dual 775 motors. Thats what I'm runnin and I run a gel cell and its the best bump box I've ever used. It fires up any motor any time. You can have the most high compression highest pinch new .28 you can find and it will turn it over with ease. Its also very well built and nice quality and it has so many adjustments so you can start you truggy for one race and then switch it over to your buggy setup in a few seconds and fire up your buggy for the next main. Its perfect.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I run the Losi box with my 8ight and I've had the motors burn out twice in the past 6 months. I've heard nothing but good things about the OFNA blue truggy box, so if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably by that one. I did find a way to make the Losi box work well though. I started using two 7-cell packs instead of two 6-cell packs. This seems to give those stock motors a little more torque to turn over even the new engines with ease.
LVBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to myst38

I am using the Losi starter box with a gel cell and have had no problems with it.
I have read a lot of people having trouble turning over new engines, but all I have done in the past is make sure that the motor is on the negative side of TDC, so that the starter box has a slightly more efficient time in generating enough speed to turn over the tightest of engines. Never had a problem in that department.
I have changed the internal wiring to a heavier duty wire though.
myst38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I've seen people having problems with the losi boxes as well. Its cool that you can use it for truggy and buggy but it seams the motors are crap. I have a cheap 5 year old ofna box and it still works great.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had a Losi starter box, and a noob pitman melted all the wiring and both motors during a race. He did me a favor. I cannot recommend the Losi box. Its just too weak.
The Ofna Truggy box is teh answer.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

If you race both losi's...its worth it to spend a whopping 30-40$ on good motor's whether they be Traxxs titan's or another equivelant brushed motor the box will work like a charm....next thing would be to put it on lipo...4 cell's can be had for the price of a Gel cell.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote