Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning buggy suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tuning buggy suspension

I just purchased my first 1/8 buggy, a hyper7pbs from woodman.

It runs great, I had lots of fun with it today the way he had it set up.

One thing i've noticed is that it understeers severely while braking - if I nail the brake and turn, it just continues in a straight line until it stops. If I let up on the brake and nail the gas it will slide through the turn like it should

Is this how all 1/8 buggies are, or can I adjust this out with the brake bias?

I'm assuming I want the front brake to engage later, so I would adjust the linkage to engage later, but maybe i'm all backwards.

Mark
Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mud99
I just purchased my first 1/8 buggy, a hyper7pbs from woodman.

It runs great, I had lots of fun with it today the way he had it set up.

One thing i've noticed is that it understeers severely while braking - if I nail the brake and turn, it just continues in a straight line until it stops. If I let up on the brake and nail the gas it will slide through the turn like it should

Is this how all 1/8 buggies are, or can I adjust this out with the brake bias?

I'm assuming I want the front brake to engage later, so I would adjust the linkage to engage later, but maybe i'm all backwards.

Mark
your headed the right direction, brake bias is key on cornering during breaking, also be sure to have the proper diff oils in, i always start off with this.

front=5
center=7
rear=2

this will be in tyhe ball park of most common setups, and you can then get a good feel on the car, but your looking for more rotation through the turn so reduce front bias, and you will feel the change right away.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

You can also check your servo saver to see if it's tight enough,if it's too loose the car won't turn..
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

i had this attachment here ...if you need any other info on what every adjustment does and how it effects the handling ...when i set up my first 1/8th scale i used this as a guide ...mbx has got you going in the right direction on diffs ...hope this helps....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
handling explained.pdf (35.9 KB, 416 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Almost sounds like you have too much front brake bias and the front tires are locking (thus you continue to skid straight instead of turning).
Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

I can only add its not really when the brakes apply in relation to each other as they will feel almost simultanius due to their design limitation. Bias is used to describe how much brake force is applied in relation to each other. I didnt read the provided link but most of the people I know have the rear brakes set stronger than the fronts. The main thing you dont want is too much front as the rear will lift & you'll flip or the rear will snap around at the end of a long straight. Rember if you set it(bias) right on the edge earlier in the day when the track is in good shape it will be too much for the end of the day when the track gets rutted & form braking bumps at the end of the day & if you use end point adjustment to get rid of that you may not have enough total brake when you need it most.