R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I sugested that very thing on our tracks forum.......i got a quote for 100,000 of insurance and the premium was 1500 a year....we could buy member ships for 30 racers and have 10 times the coverage but as previously stated how hard is it to actually get somthing out of ROAR if somthing were to happen..........
BAUSTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto431 View Post
From your employer, thats what we were told at the track. He ended up paying a deductible of $100 for an emergency visit.
is there anything in the roar insurance that protects the track/land owner if they were to be sued?

Last edited by BAUSTIN; 11-20-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAUSTIN View Post
is there anything in the roar insurance that protects the trak/land owner if they were to be sued?
Im not sure on that one, i just learned about Roar because that one situation. We have around 5 tracks we travel to and only 1 is Roar sanctioned. We had to buy memberships because the series we were running went to that one track. They needed something because they are at a state offroad park. The land our track is on is rented. Im sure the property owner has insurance. ALSO, the track we went to that we had to pay a membership for wasnt ROAR legal as to there guidelines in the rule book. So i dont get the structure of ROAR
moto431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #19
Tech Adept

We host an event for the Ohio River Series and I would hate for the extra fee's of a ROAR membership to knock us out of that. I know that there are pro's and con's to being ROAR affiliated but no matter what it seems like it makes it more expensive on the racers. If I'm wrong then please correct me.
We are in Southern West Virginia so we don't have an extremely large racer base yet. It is growing pretty good here but I hate to drop another $30 bucks on the new guys trying to get involved.
I was just under the assumption that there might be an insurance provider that a lot of tracks may use. I really appreciate all of the info guys.

Tekno RC | Jconcepts| Trinity | Hobbywing | MKS Servos | Elevation Sports | Code 3 RC |
cdbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
I don't believe ROAR is a medical insurance policy, just a general liability coverage, which will help protect you in the case of a lawsuit.

I believe it also does more toward Personal Injury and/or damage caused to spectators..and the hope is that is never has to be used, but it fullfills landloard requirements in order to cover their butt.

+1

You need to call around and get different quotes. Much like auto insurance, general liability insurance rates will vary significantly by carrier. You should get about 3-5 quotes.

And if you're not the owner of the property (i.e. renting or leasing) you need to contact the owner and see what they require (should be in your rental/lease agreement).
Czolgosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbias View Post
I am also aware of the ROAR insurance but I'm not interested in passing expenses along to the racers so ROAR is absolutely out of the question. Thanks in advance.
Lots of good info has been supplied to you.

Membership Fee is the least of the expense of this hobby. Most people will burn up $30 worth of tires or fuel on one race day. The membership fee last a year.

If your getting quotes for thousands of dollars from Commercial Insurers, are you not going to pass along the cost to insure the track to the racers via higher fees to race or join your club?

If your eating the expense, why not go ahead and Join ROAR as a Track for the $35. Offer a Free ROAR Membership (ie pay the fee for them) as a Grand Opening Special with their First Class Entry Fee.

Consider the Racer Membership Expense an Investment you make in your Facility and Race Program stronger (ie Racers).
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
Lots of good info has been supplied to you.

Membership Fee is the least of the expense of this hobby. Most people will burn up $30 worth of tires or fuel on one race day. The membership fee last a year.

If your getting quotes for thousands of dollars from Commercial Insurers, are you not going to pass along the cost to insure the track to the racers via higher fees to race or join your club?

If your eating the expense, why not go ahead and Join ROAR as a Track for the $35. Offer a Free ROAR Membership (ie pay the fee for them) as a Grand Opening Special with their First Class Entry Fee.

Consider the Racer Membership Expense an Investment you make in your Facility and Race Program stronger (ie Racers).
you are right.....but the thing is, we have a couple series we will hopefully be running and most racers wont want to pay the ROAR membership. This was even a issue at the worlds much less a club race/local series.

I have never been to a track where i had to buy a ROAR membership to race, so i would think people are provding it a differnt way?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

You can do one day Roar membership. I think it 7 or 10 bucks.
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo61 View Post
You can do one day Roar membership. I think it 7 or 10 bucks.
that could work
Old 11-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

there was an electric track that i used to race at that was a roar track.. u had to pay the $25 a year i think. if it comes down to having a place to race i am sure most guys would pay the membership fee. i would love to have a track closer to my house and i would gladly be a roar member to make that happen
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Look into ROAR. There are alot of rules you need to have for the track to be a legal ROAR track. Boarders around the whole track etc... little things that add up
moto431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #27
Tech Adept

A one day ROAR pass would be a good option for the guys that travel but you would have to work out the $$$ with local series directors. Either way it seems that the track itself or the racer has to pick up the tab. With the economy the way it is we are continuing to look at ways to reduce expenses instead of increase. Even if it is a few bucks. For those of us that run tracks you know how "finicky" the general club can be when it comes to things like that.
If you just make track Membership the $30 to join ROAR then the track loses all of it's initial operating cost to start the season. Also, $30 is more than we we charge to be a track member for the past 2 years. We are ran by volunteers and NOBODY makes money off of our track. We like giving back to the racers.
Not totally shooting ROAR down but I have yet to be persuaded. I figured there were some ROAR directors on RC Tech that may have corrected me but I don't know. If there are any ROAR directors reading please resond. We are not here to argue good or bad by any means. We are just lacking information or we have been misinformed.
Quick Question----If you are a ROAR sanctioned track can you hold races for a series that isn't ROAR sanctioned????

Tekno RC | Jconcepts| Trinity | Hobbywing | MKS Servos | Elevation Sports | Code 3 RC |
cdbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbias View Post
Not totally shooting ROAR down but I have yet to be persuaded. I figured there were some ROAR directors on RC Tech that may have corrected me but I don't know. If there are any ROAR directors reading please resond. We are not here to argue good or bad by any means. We are just lacking information or we have been misinformed.
Quick Question----If you are a ROAR sanctioned track can you hold races for a series that isn't ROAR sanctioned????
ROAR Affiliation offers you:

* a strong and recognized set of racing guidelines based on over 40 years of experience
* a cost effective way of having your facility insured in case an accident occurs. In todays environment, dont mess around without insurance
* an opportunity to host ROAR State, Regional and/or National Events
* listing on the ROAR website so its Members can identify your track
* soon to be other enhancements for race registration online

I have offered you my business insights to help you weigh the cost of track and racer membership Vs the cost of commercial insurance on your own. You need to run the math a figure out what works for you. Either your going to spend $1200 out of pocket for private insurance just so no one individually has to join ROAR, or you'll decide you can spend $35 and have everyone be a member to race so the city will let you use their land.

Being a ROAR Track does not restrict you from holding races for other series.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote