R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Nice write up Powerhouse! How much do you charge for the Picco evo 3 .21 Off road that just came out. i'm looking for my Xray buggy? and what pipe do you recommend with that new engine. I have 086, and JP3
Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jasonhiggo
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Nice write up Powerhouse! How much do you charge for the Picco evo 3 .21 Off road that just came out. i'm looking for my Xray buggy? and what pipe do you recommend with that new engine. I have 086, and JP3
this is a truggy thread for engine ? not a buggy engine thread get your own pal!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to jasonhiggo
Default go3pr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
It all depends what you want from your engine whether it be dependability, tunability, longevity, price etc. From my experience I have grown to really enjoy the Picco P3-28. In stock trim it has its querks like high idle, lower fuel range and a leaky carb. This particular motor likes to be on the rich side as with most engines but this one really likes to be on the rich side in stock trim. The port configuration is decent but the timing specs and case flow are not the best so it tends to need the extra fuel to compensate for poor efficiency. Our stock moors were getting maybe 6 minutes on a good day and we battled overrev over the big jumps the whole time.

A nice race port and this motor is a completely different animal. It holds a tune like a champ, gets 10 plus minutes on the stock 9mm venturi, has mechanical pinch well into its 6th gallon and the powerband is incredable. The carb still leaks but doesn't affect the tune, just makes for a messy engine at the end of the day but that what parts cleaner is for and the rod slop is noticable at the 1 gallon mark but will still run well into the 5th gallon before needing replacement. The JPX and Trinity are of the same mold so it comes down to availability and what color you want the head to be.

I have tried alot of engines over the years and Novarossi and Picco have always treated me well, but for the performance, quality and price, the Picco is a hard engine to pass up. There are other engines that are as good or better but most of them cost twice the money and also have their own querks you have to deal with. The GRP based engines are another one up there on my list. The new Ex Tech's are a nice design and I'm still waiting for feedback on longevity on those but both the GRP and EX Tech's are short stroke big blocks which rely on bore for torque instead of stroke which is where real torque lies.

Another plus for the Picco is the triple exhaust ports. Those boosters give the cylinder so much more exhaust surface area to maximize blowdown without sacraficing piston life due to the exhaust bridges. The more exhaust surface area, the better the blowdown, the better the overall performance and the more you can do with the engine to target specific ranges.

Like everyone will tell you, there are alot of engines to choose from and some will perform better than others, some will last alot longer than others and some will do both but for the money, the Picco P3-28 is hands down the best bang for your buck in both performance and longevity. I also ran my N528XR this past year and it was a screamer of an engine, but I wasn't overly impressed with its tunabilty. It seemed to get finiky at times and I chased tune on it more than once this summer were the Picco I never touched and when the tune did change, I threw a new front bearing in it and it was fine again, not to mention the Nova was $380 where as the Picco was $190 and my fully race ported P3-28 is $275 shipped in the lower 48. Thats my opinion and some will agree with it and some won't so its up to you to figure out what you are after. Good Luck with your quest!!
what about a 3port r spec go i have one what i could put in for a while with a go 8081 pipe ???
Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhiggo View Post
this is a truggy thread for engine ? not a buggy engine thread get your own pal!!!!!

lol, point taken
Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mugen JX .21
OS 2050 pipe
OS P6 turbo plug, P3 if not modded
6 to 7 mm carb insert
30%

I like the Picco as PH mentioned, but man thats alot of engine.

the setup i posted for me flat out gets it done.
615-838-5373
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

LOL..... yes the P3-28 is alot of motor but if managed well can be a great weapon. I will PM you Jaz so we can keep on truckin it here .
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhiggo View Post
what about a 3port r spec go i have one what i could put in for a while with a go 8081 pipe ???
The 3r is a really smooth buggy motor and I've seen a few run it in a truggy with some success. I think you will be wanting more bottom end though. The Go 5 port is really good in a truggy, but the Go .25 is fricken awesome in a truggy. Fuel mileage is on par with the .21. And they are only $210.00 map price!

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The go 3 port Race does pretty well, I ran mine with a JP3 pipe and it did pretty good.
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Man everytime I think I've decided about a motor. Now the modded Picco has got me thinking~!
Revo-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I had a Picco .28 and a JPX .28(same engine), it's a very powerful motor.

My lap times actually suffered because of it. A restrictor helped a bit but still didn't kill the torque.

I say if you can manage the power, go for it but if you're a new to intermediate driver, go with the .21. Slower is almost always faster
Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The picco 28 I had also caused my laptimes to suffer due to the lightswitch like power delivery. It was awsome though and a blast to drive It was just to torquey.
x195svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by x195svt View Post
The picco 28 I had also caused my laptimes to suffer due to the lightswitch like power delivery. It was awsome though and a blast to drive It was just to torquey.

modding it would create a better power band, no?
Revo-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #28
Tech Champion

I have done nearly 100 Picco's this season... Awesome motors.... I do love the .28's but I like the .21's even better.... When they are modified the Picco .21's are absolute beasts that have a hit you will not find on any other .21, they seriously feel more like a 28 then a 28, except they hold top end better then the .28's do....As PH mentioned once the Picco's are modified they hold a tune amazingly well and will seem to run forever without having to make any needle adjustments........For me there is no other motor I would rather run then a modified PIcco..the powerband is huge, it hits hard right off idle and pulls strong all the way past 40 000 RPM, run time is excellent and they hold pinch forever...Picco uses excelent piston and crank materials, one of the hardest crankpins your going to find in any RC engine...Anyone who has milled on a Picco crank likely can also back that up....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

My opinion the ninja jx 21 is tough to beat. I had GRP tuned 21 on my truggy it was smooth and very easy to drive. The ninja is alittle more explosive and has crazy all around power.
jwcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo-daddy View Post
Man everytime I think I've decided about a motor. Now the modded Picco has got me thinking~!

After that testimonial by Powerhouse it's hard not to want one, But, if you want similar power without the extra cash of the mod. try the stock jammin .28. I love mine, and will never use another engine in my truggy. But, I don't race truggy, only buggy. My truggy is just for fun. I might have different opinions if I raced it, then i would need to take allot of other things into consideration