R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Questions?? Header & pipe general questions???

Allright gang, here is the situation; looking for some recommendations please. First of all, here is what i have: OS Speed, Ninja Jx.21 (which will be my main mill for now), OS 2050 with the header that has the 90 degree turns, RB 2045 with the RB short and long headers (that i haven't tried at all); all mount up in a D8 that i race here in so cal. Questions: are peope mix-n-matching headers and pipes from different manufacturers? Are headers specifically made for a certain pipe? Headers/pipes made for a certain motor? I am aware the header length comes into play as far as more bottom end or top end, does shape matter?

The main purpose of the questions are because i am thinking of getting an OS 2060 to try cause i heard they work well in the Ninja. the header that comes with the pipe is a different shape from anything i have, should i be running that header with the 2060 or use something i already have? i know i can do my own "testing", but that is a whole lot of combinations to try, hopefully someone can simplify for me ....i appreciate your thoughts....

AKA Products, Team Losi, Track Star Racing, Tekno RC, Hitec RCD, LRP, Schelle Racing, Imagine It Graphics, EKD, VP/PowerMaster fuels
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

IMO, i think the best pipes for the money out there are the TTR pipes or team associated pipe. both are made from the same manufacturer and i have had some great result using these pipes. i personally run the OS 2060 on my d8 but only for the fact that i get big discounts on OS stuff. but other than that i would go with the TTR pipes. even richard saxton uses a TTR pipe and/or the team associated pipe.

im terms of headers, use the header that matches the pipe. ive tried mix and matching some of my pipes to see the results and i havent really seen any good reason to do it.

each pipe went through RND before coming out on the market, so they put a lot of time to find the best setup.

good luck!
BCE Design
Bodies By Scott
Lungsford Titantium
M2C Racing
DriftProjectR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Changing headers is sometimes necessary, but you must stick to the same manufacturer. All Ofna header, pipes fit. The same with RB, OS, etc. not sure if they are interchangeable cause I've never tried, but they may be. I'm sure with some drilling, and different gaskets you can get em to work, just make sure they have a good seal. As far as header differences, they are huge! The more bends the header has, the more low end you get, so it makes tuning options more thorough. If you have a really good top-end engine and pipe, if you switch from the half moon style header to a double bent style, you will increase tour low end torque considerably, and vica versa. From what I've seen, tested, and heard. A double bent manifold is the way to go with all engines ported at 5 or more. More ports lead to more top-end, and take away some of the low-end grunt. Double bent manifold really gives back the low-end you lose.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

great info. guys!!! thanks. will probally sell the 2045 set-up and stick with OS stuff and keep it all in the family. much appreciated.

AKA Products, Team Losi, Track Star Racing, Tekno RC, Hitec RCD, LRP, Schelle Racing, Imagine It Graphics, EKD, VP/PowerMaster fuels
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote